Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T6 headlight 'travel mode'

simon parker

simon parker

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Ok so my Cali has just failed it's MOT. it's a 2018 VW California Ocean, T6 LHD import. I bought it 6 months old already registered in the UK, UK plates etc as I planned to use it a lot in Europe. Passed it's UK mot no problems for past 3 years though this time, failed, as the headlights are out of alignment. I told the VW dealer doing the MOT that there is a 'travel mode' option on the MFD which is set to on, as it's a LHD car in the UK so should adjust the lights accordingly, and that its passed before with these exact same, VW factory fit headlights without issue. but no, failed, can't align them with the machine. Suggested trying the headlight stickers you use to divert the beam but still didnt pass. Suggested new headlights instead. Ouch.

So now what? Could it be the 'travel mode' no longer works? Toggling it on and off there is movement in the beam, not a lot mind. Do I need new headlights, I guess there is lots on eBay and I can sell my factory fit LED Xenon ones but don't see why it is failing, and could do without the expense. I may try another MOT centre who are perhaps less stringent?

Any advice please this could be a very expensive MOT. I really don't understand how it can fail on headlights having passed 3 times before, and must have passed the test to register the vehicle in the UK in the first place.

Help!

Ok so my Cali has just failed it's MOT. it's a 2018 VW California Ocean, T6 LHD import. I bought it 6 months old already registered in the UK, UK plates etc as I planned to use it a lot in Europe. Passed it's UK mot no problems for past 3 years though this time, failed, as the headlights are out of alignment. I told the VW dealer doing the MOT that there is a 'travel mode' option on the MFD which is set to on, as it's a LHD car in the UK so should adjust the lights accordingly, and that its passed before with these exact same, VW factory fit headlights without issue. but no, failed, can't align them with the machine. Suggested trying the headlight stickers you use to divert the beam but still didnt pass. Suggested new headlights instead. Ouch.

So now what? Could it be the 'travel mode' no longer works? Toggling it on and off there is movement in the beam, not a lot mind. Do I need new headlights, I guess there is lots on eBay and I can sell my factory fit LED Xenon ones but don't see why it is failing, and could do without the expense. I may try another MOT centre who are perhaps less stringent?

Any advice please this could be a very expensive MOT. I really don't understand how it can fail on headlights having passed 3 times before, and must have passed the test to register the vehicle in the UK in the first place.

Help!
were the previous three Mots at the current test centre ?
or different test centre ?

i.e. can you take the vehicle to the test centre whom previously passed the headlights ?

first two MOT's were at VW Van centre in Birmingham, passed fine. the one after, last year was at VW Service centre in Edinburgh, and note it did briefly fail on the headlights then though they must have done something as it shows a pass, but the log online shows an initial fail. Took it back there again today for this years mot and failed on the lights. I did explain they failed it on that last year before passing it a few minutes later

I can't take it back to Bimingham, I now live in Edinburgh

Newbridge or Loanhead? Out of interest more than anything else.

well I don't know what to do now, I can find replacement T6 lights on eBay but they tell me they won't fit my lhd California as it has factory fit headlights, that I have to get VW ones which I daren't get the cost of. But I've no MOT now until I change the lights. I really don't get why these same factory fit lights have passed UK registration, 4 MOT's and now all of a sudden they are no good and not aligned for UK roads, with 'travel mode' enabled, and disabled tried both. Do I really have to go to VW and get new lights?

well I don't know what to do now, I can find replacement T6 lights on eBay but they tell me they won't fit my lhd California as it has factory fit headlights, that I have to get VW ones which I daren't get the cost of. But I've no MOT now until I change the lights. I really don't get why these same factory fit lights have passed UK registration, 4 MOT's and now all of a sudden they are no good and not aligned for UK roads, with 'travel mode' enabled, and disabled tried both. Do I really have to go to VW and get new lights?

I would be trying a different MOT garage, tell them about the headlights & ask if they can adjust them before the test.

Reading the manual, a totally flat beam is permissible, a kick up to the left is also allowed, beam deflectors are allowed to be used as well.

What you will fail on is if there is any sort of kick up to the right, I understood that the travel mode eliminated the kick up completely to leave you with a totally flat beam.

The link to the relevant guidance is here: https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/the-mot-headlamp-aim-test-is-changing/

I booked in to a local, back street mot centre tomorro, in hope they’re less fussy. Not sure whether to mention the headlights issue beforehand or not in hope they just don’t pick up on it. If they do then mention they can adjust it though the vw place today said they tried

I booked in to a local, back street mot centre tomorro, in hope they’re less fussy. Not sure whether to mention the headlights issue beforehand or not in hope they just don’t pick up on it. If they do then mention they can adjust it though the vw place today said they tried
I would tell them & ask to adjust first before they start the MOT to avoid another failure cert.

Back