Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Customer Survey Phone Call...

Smiffy4bikes

Smiffy4bikes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I had a call from VW last week, two weeks after I picked up Mr Blu. I've no idea if the call was from the UK, or Germany as the lady I spoke to, whilst extremely polite, was Oriental, with no apparent sense of humour, but hey. ;)

"Would you mind if I asked you some questions about the purchase of your new vehicle?"
No, fire away...

"On a scale of 1-5 (five being the highest) how pleased are you with the service offered by your dealer?"

‘Why not a 5?’
because no-one is that good.
“Oh, I see...”

“On a scale of 1-5, how pleased are you with the vehicle?”
“Sorry, can you repeat that?”
10. Its absolutely bloody awesome.

“Uhhmmm...the computer won’t accept 10?”
ok, make it a 5 then.

“on a scale of 1-5, how would you rate the collection of your vehicle?”

“Can you explain why this wasn't marked as a 5?”
Because I knew some things about the vehicle that the dealer didn’t, and I don’t appreciate having to find a petrol station within ten minutes of collecting a vehicle as the fuel gauge barely moved when I got in it.

“Can you explain that further please?”
If I spend £55k on a vehicle I would expect at least half a tank of fuel to be put in the vehicle before I take the long drive home. I wanted to familiarise myself with the vehicle for at least 20 miles before I ventured into a petrol station.

“Oh, I see”
(Actually, I don’t think you do.....:headbang)

“On a scale of 1-5 how would you rate the Customer Service of Volkswagen”

“Oh!. Can you explain why please?”
To have to wait 8 months for a vehicle is unacceptable, full stop. To be told 3 months before the thing has even been built that if I dare to add another super expensive optional extra to the vehicle that I will have to cancel my order and go to the back of the queue for a build date is frankly ridiculous.
Whilst the service offered by my dealer was very good, Volkswagen as a company in my view treat their customers with contempt and disinterest. The build dates, delivery dates, any dates as to when things are going to happen are a complete mystery, to the dealer as well as me, the customer.

“Oh”

“Are you happy for your comments to be forwarded to Volkswagen and your dealer?”

Most definitely....:)

Interesting post. Sadly VW seem to be obessessed with feedback but then do nothing with it.

My own local van centre always ring me after a visit to gather feedback, sometimes more than once. Sadly, they routinely fail to ring me to tell me that my part has arrived or update me on an outstanding warranty issue. I have to chase them to get things done, they then chase me for negative feedback; I don't understand that.

I received the same questions by e-mail last month and interestingly my scores and responses were similar. I did wonder if I might be asked by VW to expand on my feedback, but it seems unlikely.

I caused a real issue with my dealer over this feedback survey. It allows VW to claw some rebate back and my dealer was despondent to say the least. I did feel sorry for him and we all make mistakes so I wrote a very nice email.

I mentioned the issue of ordering the wrong vehicle and then sending the replacement down with a paint chip on the door.

The real issue that VW takes seriously is, "would I buy again from the dealer". I responded maybe. This was the real kick in the pants. This is short sighted by VW. We have purchased many cars and the arrangement is a simple business transaction.

Last edited:
Let's hope they do something with the feedback. My dealer was all to keen to tell me he needed an outstanding to get a bonus - yet was unable to tell me how any part of the camping side of the van worked... so he didn't get his bonus. Also the dealership hasn't followed up on queries since (even when I was wanting to buy extra's...).
But in the meantime, like you, the van gets a 10 out of 5 (more if possible) and gives me a big smile every time I get in it...

I’m with you there AlisonF, the endless smiles are worth all the waiting and frustrations :)

What I found extremely surprising upon collecting the vehicle was that the salesman had never camped in a California. Or any other camper van for that matter.

Now, he may not have been a ‘camper person’ but none the less.... It wasn’t that he didn’t want to, he admitted that he would absolutely LOVE to, but, he hadn’t. And thats because they can't use customers vehicles, or demo vehicles (as they can't put any miles on them).

How mad is that??

An epic fail on the part of VW in my view. Given that my dealership also supply the Cali’s to Campervantastic, surely they can come to some arrangement about allowing (insisting) that the salespersons at least sleep in the thing for a weekend.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy with the service I got, and he was very knowledgeable about the vehicle, the extras etc etc. My endless emails and calls were always answered promptly and efficiently. BUT... if you haven’t actually used one in anger, how on earth can you truly ‘get it’???

I’m with you there AlisonF, the endless smiles are worth all the waiting and frustrations :)

What I found extremely surprising upon collecting the vehicle was that the salesman had never camped in a California. Or any other camper van for that matter.

Now, he may not have been a ‘camper person’ but none the less.... It wasn’t that he didn’t want to, he admitted that he would absolutely LOVE to, but, he hadn’t. And thats because they can't use customers vehicles, or demo vehicles (as they can't put any miles on them).

How mad is that??

An epic fail on the part of VW in my view. Given that my dealership also supply the Cali’s to ***************, surely they can come to some arrangement about allowing (insisting) that the salespersons at least sleep in the thing for a weekend.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy with the service I got, and he was very knowledgeable about the vehicle, the extras etc etc. My endless emails and calls were always answered promptly and efficiently. BUT... if you haven’t actually used one in anger, how on earth can you truly ‘get it’???

I believe it depends on the dealership. It's not something controlled by VW. Lots of things we can blame them for but not that. Both the guys I have dealt with at my dealership use them on a regular basis and are encouraged to do so.

Mike

Not sure I find that particularly surprising, given they're commercial van dealerships. And even if I was a plasterer shopping for a new van, I wouldn't necessarily expect the sales bloke to have personal experience of loading 8x4 sheets of plasterboard or 25 kilo bags of Multifinish. :D

The issues of VW UK flogging Calis through their commercial shops has been debated exhaustively on this forum. The hassle of bothering with the odd (and we usually are ;)) Cali buyer, rather than nailing another order for five white Transporters from the building firm down the road, and hence making some actual money from volume discounts from VW, probably explain why it's a miracle when we do find a salesperson who actually wants to talk to us weirdos with our leisure battery, auxiliary heater and bellow bungee fixations.

I'm sure we'd all love there to be one or two dedicated VW campervan sales centres set up in the UK, but I'm not holding my breath... unless maybe Mercedes really starts to eat into Cali sales with their Marco Polo.

Anyway, no need for a salesman because anything you really need to know is on this forum. :)

I'm sure we'd all love there to be one or two dedicated VW campervan sales centres set up in the UK, .........
Almost sounds like an opportunity!!;);)

How mad is that??

An epic fail on the part of VW in my view. Given that my dealership also supply the Cali’s to ***************, surely they can come to some arrangement about allowing (insisting) that the salespersons at least sleep in the thing for a weekend.

My dealer, South Herford Garage, send their salesmen to a local show in the California to demonstrate the vehicle and then to stay in it there over the weekend. The staff said they found this very useful.
I have no complaints about their knowledge at all. They even helped put the bellows bungee on during the handover. Our handover was over 2 hours and they covered everything I asked, plus some things I hadn't thought of.

I've done a few telephone surveys and email surveys and been very forthright in my views after multiple roof paint fix failures but nobody has ever contacted me to see how they can improve things.
They are just going through the motions to be seen they are "customer focused " (my arse)

I had a call from VW last week, two weeks after I picked up Mr Blu. I've no idea if the call was from the UK, or Germany as the lady I spoke to, whilst extremely polite, was Oriental, with no apparent sense of humour, but hey. ;)

"Would you mind if I asked you some questions about the purchase of your new vehicle?"
No, fire away...

"On a scale of 1-5 (five being the highest) how pleased are you with the service offered by your dealer?"

‘Why not a 5?’
because no-one is that good.
“Oh, I see...”

“On a scale of 1-5, how pleased are you with the vehicle?”
“Sorry, can you repeat that?”
10. Its absolutely bloody awesome.

“Uhhmmm...the computer won’t accept 10?”
ok, make it a 5 then.

“on a scale of 1-5, how would you rate the collection of your vehicle?”

“Can you explain why this wasn't marked as a 5?”
Because I knew some things about the vehicle that the dealer didn’t, and I don’t appreciate having to find a petrol station within ten minutes of collecting a vehicle as the fuel gauge barely moved when I got in it.

“Can you explain that further please?”
If I spend £55k on a vehicle I would expect at least half a tank of fuel to be put in the vehicle before I take the long drive home. I wanted to familiarise myself with the vehicle for at least 20 miles before I ventured into a petrol station.

“Oh, I see”
(Actually, I don’t think you do.....:headbang)

“On a scale of 1-5 how would you rate the Customer Service of Volkswagen”

“Oh!. Can you explain why please?”
To have to wait 8 months for a vehicle is unacceptable, full stop. To be told 3 months before the thing has even been built that if I dare to add another super expensive optional extra to the vehicle that I will have to cancel my order and go to the back of the queue for a build date is frankly ridiculous.
Whilst the service offered by my dealer was very good, Volkswagen as a company in my view treat their customers with contempt and disinterest. The build dates, delivery dates, any dates as to when things are going to happen are a complete mystery, to the dealer as well as me, the customer.

“Oh”

“Are you happy for your comments to be forwarded to Volkswagen and your dealer?”

Most definitely....:)
Maybe a stupid question but isn't it much of a self fulfilling prophecy when you are asked about a product in your 'Honeymoon' period.
When we bought our Cali, we had nothing bad to say, 6 years on, that's a different story, problems and poor service form dealers and VWUK disinterested in any of these, I bet you they don't send me a survey now, will they...
If you send a survey when you just picked up the product and everything's rosy, you are bound to receive the answers you want to hear... Pointless, pointless surveys....
I received one from BT, but when I commented on the fact that I was left without telephone or Internet for 6 weeks whilst they still insisted I had a line, they promptly said my answers didn't fit the criteria for the survey... They only ask what they want to hear.. You can almost hear the tick-box exercise in the background...
Happy days

Makes me glad I bought my Cali 'used' from a motorhome dealer - an award winning motorhome dealer at that. They knew how everything worked and spent quite a long time making sure that we did before we drove it away.
Except they were fooled by the alcantara seats and described them as leather......

Back