Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW T5 & T6 Tailgate Bike Racks - £299

I asked on the Facebook Post but will ask again here for a somewhat different audience:
How does this attach at the bottom.... Near the numberplate? The old versions had claws going all the way down the tailgate.

It was also pointed out on the FB post that the wheel clamps maybe the wrong way around?

I asked on the Facebook Post but will ask again here for a somewhat different audience:
How does this attach at the bottom.... Near the numberplate? The old versions had claws going all the way down the tailgate. There is a bracket that attaches to the numberplate fixings

How does this attach at the bottom.... Near the numberplate? The old versions had claws going all the way down the tailgate.

It was also pointed out on the FB post that the wheel clamps maybe the wrong way around?
There is a plate that fits behind the rear number plate. This stays on the vehicle and the rack locks to it. All the weight is carried by the top tailgate fittings.

The clamp that goes onto the bicycle crossbar can turn through 360o. The clamps are fitted correctly to the rack.

Last edited:
Hi. Is this a similar weight to the vw one? We bought a different make (can't remember the name, German). It is made from stainless steel and aluminium and is quite heavy.
What is this made from, and what is the weight of the one in the top picture?
Thanks

There is a plate that fits behind the rear number plate. This stays on the vehicle and the rack locks to it. All the weight is carried by the top tailgate fittings.

The clamp that goes onto the bicycle crossbar can turn through 360o. The clamps are fitted correctly to the rack.
Cali Kev is referring to the wheel clamps, not crossbar clamps. On the picture they are facing the wrong way.

The clamps are fitted correctly to the rack.
Then they are for very small bikes then

Edit: I see Alan has explained in more detail

Just got one, so far so good. I can confirm the wheel clamps are on the wrong way round in that picture. You have to install a plate with brackets underneath the license plate, that’s how it’s mounted at the bottom of the frame. It has Locks to stop it being removed without a key.

Anyone else fitted one yet?? I’m having an issue with the bracket under License plate, the existing license plate just has two self tappers into a nylon plug. This doesn’t make for a strong fixing of the frame bracket. Two sets of screws come with the kit but both are threaded so can’t see a strong way of getting this bracket fitted with any strength. Any ideas anyone??

Anyone else fitted one yet?? I’m having an issue with the bracket under License plate, the existing license plate just has two self tappers into a nylon plug. This doesn’t make for a strong fixing of the frame bracket. Two sets of screws come with the kit but both are threaded so can’t see a strong way of getting this bracket fitted with any strength. Any ideas anyone??
James,
I’m following with interest! I like the look of this rack, especially considering how much cheaper it is to others, but before I take the plunge and buy one I am looking for some confidence in how securely it attaches to the tailgate.
When you have yours all figured out I’d be very grateful for any feedback you have.

Best regards
Rob

I am also following this so looking forward to some reviews

I thinks that a few of us are sitting on the fence before getting one! My question is how easy/quick is it to get the rack off. Also will it need some of the clear protection film to be fitted to guard against rubbing?

Back