Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW T6.1 MY21 Steering Harness recall

Ray Jordan

Ray Jordan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I have just had a blown 75A leisure battery box fuse fixed (T6.1 MY21) by VW in Southampton and when I picked my Cali up they advised me that they had fixed a precautionary recall under warranty. Wednesday this week.
This was "97EY Steering harness check". Apparently there had been a notice issued by VW themselves where they had discovered that the wiring loom had been subject to "chaffing" around the steering shaft.

Thank you for posting this, it makes sense of the issues I am experiencing. I thought I was going mad but I can hear the "chaffing" .

I have just had a blown 75A leisure battery box fuse fixed (T6.1 MY21) by VW in Southampton and when I picked my Cali up they advised me that they had fixed a precautionary recall under warranty. Wednesday this week.
This was "97EY Steering harness check". Apparently there had been a notice issued by VW themselves where they had discovered that the wiring loom had been subject to "chaffing" around the steering shaft.
Thanks for flagging Ray.
I’ve asked my dealership whether I should book my van in for checking. If so, it’ll be an opportunity to get the WeConnect fix** done at the same time.

** VW Digital team communicated a fix to Citygate for errors I have experienced on the App i.e. Status shown as Unlocked when van is Locked.

What blew your leisure battery fuse? and how did you know it had blown?

Thanks for flagging Ray.
I’ve asked my dealership whether I should book my van in for checking. If so, it’ll be an opportunity to get the WeConnect fix** done at the same time.

** VW Digital team communicated a fix to Citygate for errors I have experienced on the App i.e. Status shown as Unlocked when van is Locked.

What blew your leisure battery fuse? and how did you know it had blown?
Hi GG. I've been on to VW chat this morning and they (Morak) has checked against my VIN and states that:

Morak08:57 AM

Thanks for your patience, Rick. I have checked this for you and can confirm that there is no recall information on your van.

Can you let me know how your investigations go.

Hi GG. I've been on to VW chat this morning and they (Morak) has checked against my VIN and states that:

Morak08:57 AM

Thanks for your patience, Rick. I have checked this for you and can confirm that there is no recall information on your van.

Can you let me know how your investigations go.
Will do.

97EY Steering harness recall.
Confirmed by Citygate this morning that there is not a recall for my 6.1 Cali.
Maybe just a particular batch of harnesses?

Hello Ray,
I have also just had a recall for my 6.1 (for a power steering wiring issue. Just collected it and it has to have a VW only wiring tie, may dealer could not fit one of theirs! So it has to go back to be fitted when VW deliver this part.

Make sure you contact your dealer as I only found out about this from a call I made to my dealer on another matter? It is a precautionary recall no danger apparently. Our Cali 6.1 was purchased from new on 26 August 2020.
Leisure Batteries:
I also have an issue with the apparent unreasonable loss of leisure battery power. My dealer have advised that both batteries are healthy and no problems but they think it is the overhead display unit which is giving the wrong reading of how much power is in the batteries!? So another possible issue with that new digital overhead display unit , diagnostics ,following the Auxiliary heater issues we and others have had. They have informed VW so we wait for a solution again!

Hello Ray,
I have also just had a recall for my 6.1 (for a power steering wiring issue. Just collected it and it has to have a VW only wiring tie, may dealer could not fit one of theirs! So it has to go back to be fitted when VW deliver this part.

Make sure you contact your dealer as I only found out about this from a call I made to my dealer on another matter? It is a precautionary recall no danger apparently. Our Cali 6.1 was purchased from new on 26 August 2020.
Leisure Batteries:
I also have an issue with the apparent unreasonable loss of leisure battery power. My dealer have advised that both batteries are healthy and no problems but they think it is the overhead display unit which is giving the wrong reading of how much power is in the batteries!? So another possible issue with that new digital overhead display unit , diagnostics ,following the Auxiliary heater issues we and others have had. They have informed VW so we wait for a solution again!
Still no wiring loom recall on mine.

Re’ the leisure batteries, there’s been a fair bit of discussion on this recently. I queried the fact that sometimes my camping display says for example >8 hours and then an hour or two later it says >60 hours. Good explanation given by other members, so i’ve stopped worrying about it.

I didn't get a recall but when the van was at the dealers, to check the starter battery, they said the wiring needed checking/moving to avoid chaffing.

Have any of you guys who have had a recall experienced any noises when turning?
No noise or issues for us. recall issue was done last week.

Back