Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wading depth of the Cali

A

andrewjh009

We were travelling around Cumbria a few months and near where we were staying there were quite a few fords, where I would of been confident going through these in my Disco I was not too sure about my Cali ! Anyone know how deep you can go?

I would say at least 300mm. As long as it don't get in your airbox then i think it would be Ok?

Its never a good idea to wade through deep water but sometimes it is unavoidable. The most important consideration is to ensure that the air intake to the engine does not suck in water. Open the bonnet and have a look on the drivers side of the engine bay (RHD). There is a black plastic pipe pointing towards the ground. That is your air intake. From memory the open end approx headlight height. Don't go into water that is deeper than this. If you do go through any water remember to dry out the brakes and keep to the centre of the road where the water will be less deep. Anything with ducks or scuba divers in it should definitely be avoided!

The 300 mm wade depth from the manual comes from the lowest critical point for water and dirt entry: the vent holes in your drive train (gearbox, and if you have a 4Motion or Syncro the L-coupling and your rear differential). The vent holes sit at approx 300 mm if you haven't raised your vehicle. Everyone understands the motor air intake, but you don't want water or dirt in your drive train either! Often forgotten...
The motor air intake sits at approx 400 mm if you haven't raised your vehicle.
There are several solutions to raise the venting of your drive train or the motor air intake. A seperate point with the Cali is the air intake of your Parking and additional Coolant heater. They sit rather low as well. See the thread Hotel California mentions above for a discussion of some of the solutions that we used on our Cali.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

Technically, there are many Britt's trying to immigrate to the EU :offtopic

Back