Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Warning lights ABS and START STOP

dod4luce

dod4luce

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
just got these warning lights comin on. They sometimes go off. Any ideas? Thanks

Your profile says T5SE

do you have start stop on a T5 ?

This may give you a steer in the right direction.(albeit not on a T5)

edit

This may give you a steer in the right direction.(albeit not on a T5)

edit
Thanks. I guess I’ll get it to be tested for fault .

It’s almost certainly an ABS sensor. Happened to me last year. The dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Rear N/S sensor. A carista for £25 is money well spent. £20 for a sensor from my local motor factor and as long as it takes to Jack the van up and take the wheel off and pull out the old sensor.

It’s almost certainly an ABS sensor. Happened to me last year. The dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Rear N/S sensor. A carista for £25 is money well spent. £20 for a sensor from my local motor factor and as long as it takes to Jack the van up and take the wheel off and pull out the old sensor.
Would that solve the stop start warning also I wonder? Im not shy of doing stuff myself, done lots in my life, but I bet I can’t get the nuts undone, vw Will have tightened them so someone like me wouldn’t get them off manually lol

Would that solve the stop start warning also I wonder? Im not shy of doing stuff myself, done lots in my life, but I bet I can’t get the nuts undone, vw Will have tightened them so someone like me wouldn’t get them off manually lol
Yes it solves all the dash problems. We had all the lights come on including the stop/start..Fitted the new sensor and it cleared the lot.
I would say anyone with Basic skills can do this no problem. If you can use a spanner and a jack and you have some Allen keys you can do it in less than an hour. You will need the carista to find out which one needs replacing as the front and back are different.

Just soak the bolts in this for a while before attempting the release them
pb-blaster-penetrating-das-original-pb.jpg

I might check my tools and see if I have the right key. Also got to find a flat spot, live on steep hill in Devon. And to find someone with a decent trolley Jack would be nice too. Thavks so much for all the advice and knowledge. I’ll see if I can get the right part.

I find the best jack to use is the One supplied with the vehicle then chock it up with blocks of wood or axel stands in the right place. Handbrake on and blocks under the wheels. Take no risks when working on or under the vehicle.

I find the best jack to use is the One supplied with the vehicle then chock it up with blocks of wood or axel stands in the right place. Handbrake on and blocks under the wheels. Take no risks when working on or under the vehicle.
Is it a bottle JaCk? Had one of those with my old bedford cf2. great jacks. Id be careful. I did my tyre pressures in case that was causing it. Sadly not that simple. cant wait for spring and better times to go away. Hopefully less covid around.

Is it a bottle JaCk? Had one of those with my old bedford cf2. great jacks. Id be careful. I did my tyre pressures in case that was causing it. Sadly not that simple. cant wait for spring and better times to go away. Hopefully less covid around.
No it’s a scissor jack.

Mine was nsf brake/abs sensor, easy fix. Sensor was £15 off eBay. All lights back to normal and stop/start restored
That’s good to know. Still pondering on doing it myself. Don’t want to be ripped off. Wish I had a way of knowing which one. Are these sensors on front and back?

That’s good to know. Still pondering on doing it myself. Don’t want to be ripped off. Wish I had a way of knowing which one. Are these sensors on front and back?
Yes, all 4 wheels.

Try someone like this that offers diagnostic services, they would hook up and tell you within minutes which sensor has gone along with another fault codes

There is a sensor on every wheel. So you have 2 types of sensor n/s and o/s or maybe front and back, The only thing is if you don’t know which one is faulty you would have to change all 4 one by one or buy 4 sensors and change them all, which is going to be quite expensive and time consuming. It’s not as if you can pull them out and actually see which one is faulty. You could use a multimeter but that means going through them one by one checking them all for faults. Best thing is get a £25 carista OBD2 reader. To get a dealer to do it for you is probably going to cost a couple of hundred quid as a genuine vehicle abs sensor is around £80 maybe more.

Mine was nsf brake/abs sensor, easy fix. Sensor was £15 off eBay. All lights back to normal and stop/start restored
I got a fault code reader off eBay (not too expensive) and at least if any other lights come on l know what the fault is, this way l can decide if it is a dealer job or something l can sort myself. Make sure the fault code reader gives the faults for the vehicle and not just the engine. I find YouTube is great for showing me if l am capable of doing it.

Back