Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Warning messages

Racing 47

Racing 47

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
My t6 registered 31 December 1999 and only done 15000 miles has suddenly decided to start displaying warning messages on initial start up, first it was “tyre pressure monitoring not available “ then a few days later the same message plus acc not available and stop/start not available. In all cases the messages disappear when driving a few miles and restarting or after simply driving for a few miles. Thankfully I took out 5 year warranty when buying so still covered for the rest of the year. Booked in to Birmingham van centre for middle of July - earliest date available, but just wondering if anybody else has had the same problem ?

My t6 registered 31 December 1999 and only done 15000 miles has suddenly decided to start displaying warning messages on initial start up, first it was “tyre pressure monitoring not available “ then a few days later the same message plus acc not available and stop/start not available. In all cases the messages disappear when driving a few miles and restarting or after simply driving for a few miles. Thankfully I took out 5 year warranty when buying so still covered for the rest of the year. Booked in to Birmingham van centre for middle of July - earliest date available, but just wondering if anybody else has had the same problem ?
This type of alert usually relates to a faulty abs speed sensor or vehicle battery fault.

A high possibility is a faulty ABS sensor, especially if you end up with ABS, ESC and Tyre Pressure lights on. ACC and Stop/Start are switched off if other faults are present.

I have exactly the same issue. It started with the lights coming on then disappearing as I drove, but now remain on continuously.

I put the vcds diagnostics on the vehicle and it reported right rear abs sensor is faulty. Which appears to be a common issue.

I do have the extended warranty, but to be honest I cannot be bothered to wait for an appointment. I also use VW Birmingham.

I have bought 2 sensors for both rear wheels, and will install in a couple of days time. It is not a difficult task.

I'll update you if this fixes the issue.

I have exactly the same issue. It started with the lights coming on then disappearing as I drove, but now remain on continuously.

I put the vcds diagnostics on the vehicle and it reported right rear abs sensor is faulty. Which appears to be a common issue.

I do have the extended warranty, but to be honest I cannot be bothered to wait for an appointment. I also use VW Birmingham.

I have bought 2 sensors for both rear wheels, and will install in a couple of days time. It is not a difficult task.

I'll update you if this fixes the issue.
Be warned. Not all ABS sensors just pop out as many say. My 2 rear sensors both had to be carefully drilled out eventually. All the tricks of the trade failed to shift them.

Yes I am aware of this. I will update.

Yes I am aware of this. I will update.
OK. I have now replaced both rear ABS sensors.

But both sensors were stuck inside the wheel hub. One broke off as I tried to lever it out.

After some head scratching and reading some YouTube and Facebook postings, I opted for teh heated screw method of removal.

Check out

It worked a treat.

I then snapped the head off the second sensor, and repeated the heated screw method of extraction. Again this worked without a glitch.

New sensors have now been installed, with a light smear of silicone grease.

Many thanks for your replies and I hope my update will assist others with this problem.

OK. I have now replaced both rear ABS sensors.

But both sensors were stuck inside the wheel hub. One broke off as I tried to lever it out.

After some head scratching and reading some YouTube and Facebook postings, I opted for teh heated screw method of removal.

Check out

It worked a treat.

I then snapped the head off the second sensor, and repeated the heated screw method of extraction. Again this worked without a glitch.

New sensors have now been installed, with a light smear of silicone grease.

Many thanks for your replies and I hope my update will assist others with this problem.
Great work. It is always so satisfying when you fix something yourself.

I suspect copper grease may have been better than silicone?

Silicone is for lubrication. Copper is for anti jamming. Either way, you will be trouble free for a few years now

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Great work. It is always so satisfying when you fix something yourself.

I suspect copper grease may have been better than silicone?

Silicone is for lubrication. Copper is for anti jamming. Either way, you will be trouble free for a few years now

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Accepted. I did apply copper grease to the screw thread though.

Accepted. I did apply copper grease to the screw thread though.
Final update and hopefully useful to other owners with the same issue. I did not buy ABS sensors from VW or ebay, instead I opted for Pagid sensors from EuroCar Parts. About £30 each sensor.

Part numbers 417440728 and 417440688.

Whilst the online description says Front wheels. These are actually suitable for Front and Rear wheels.

On some forums there are loads of postings where stuff from ebay whilst looking and fitting the same, generated error messages due to non supported items being detected by the VW electronics.

The Pagid sensors did not generate any subsequent messages, and as a final check, I used my vcds diagnostics tool to clear the original error logs and to confirm that no new error codes were generated.

Everything is good now.

Last edited:
Back