Warning re posting photos with GPS data embedded

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I was wondering where some of the scenery was on GrannyJen's recent posts so I thought I'd check to see if the data in the photos contained the location they were taken ("geodata"), so I could follow on Google maps. Sure enough they did.

It didn't strike me at the time, but a while later I realised that if we post pics taken with smartphones and some recent dedicated cameras of our "pride & joy" at our home location, then this exact location will be revealed to any tech savvy thieves.

It would then be a simple matter for them to locate a vehicle with the exact specification required, seeing as most of us have this posted in our profiles; even including the extras fitted.

This would apply to any forums such as ours, so whether it be a Porsche, Ferrari, VW Cali the exact vehicle could be located fairly easily and stolen to order.

It pains me to say this, but we also need to be aware when we are away in our vans, if we are "blogging" on here then the thieves will know we are not at home. I really enjoy reading these myself, so maybe posting could be delayed until the information is no longer of use.

The next thing I now need to find out how is to remove some of my own photographs; and when posting in future ensure that the geodata is removed using a photo editing program.

Hopefully others will have some suggestions over concealing sensitive information over the security of our vans and homes when posting.

Colin

Intresting, but when Iam away in the van, I leave my 3 psychopathic son's at home with their implements of pain, little food and instructions guard the home.
The Cali dogs also remain loose in the grounds just like the ones in Magnam PI

If your location bit on your phone is switched off does that make any difference?
I don't even know how you find this data from pictures, but thanks for pointing it out to us.

On an iPhone you need to go into Settings-Privacy-Location services. Scroll down to the camera and make sure the slider is off.
Windows has an option on the file-properties window for an existing image to 'remove properties and personal information' which can work if the data is not to deeply embedded. There are also various free programs for Windows and Mac OS to remove the data.

I don't even know how you find this data from pictures, but thanks for pointing it out to us.
Various ways, as an example using Jen's pic, this is what you can see using a Macbook (you can even get it to show you on a map where it was taken)
example.jpg

and not only that, the geodata stuff consumes battery power.

Thank you Colin.

It is a feature that I do not use but I have noticed that since my techie son switched it on in my camera my batteries have half the life.I'

When I get home it will be "my dear son, disable this useless bit of tech or I will disable your inheritance"....

Phew, think I'm safe as my location setting only ever goes on when using the satnav. Off to check my camera settings for when I use it next.

Ahh, you've just raised my paranoia level by couple of clicks :(
Any chance the site designers can strip the GPS data off when the pics are uploaded?

Thanks for the warning.
Need to play with and learn how to use my phone properly.

Blimey......all this stuff is getting a bit heavy, I just about manage to send a post
Alan :talktothehand

On an iPhone you need to go into Settings-Privacy-Location services. Scroll down to the camera and make sure the slider is off.
Windows has an option on the file-properties window for an existing image to 'remove properties and personal information' which can work if the data is not to deeply embedded. There are also various free programs for Windows and Mac OS to remove the data.

I've just checked my Android phone and in the camera settings you can put location tags to off - hopefully that's enough to protect my data.

You don't want to hear about the digital latest developments in forensic digital fingerprints using radio frequency emissions then! :cool:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

and not only that, the geodata stuff consumes battery power.

Thank you Colin.

It is a feature that I do not use but I have noticed that since my techie son switched it on in my camera my batteries have half the life.I'

When I get home it will be "my dear son, disable this useless bit of tech or I will disable your inheritance"....
To save you needing to beat your son!

http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/8201412300.html

Settings changed on my iPhone. Thanks for the tip

1963 15 window splitscreen
2015 California SE 180 DSG Blackberry metallic

I struggle to remember what I had for breakfast, never mind where a photo was taken, therefore I want to keep the geodata attached to my pictures in iPhoto but I don't want them kept when I post.

If I drag and drop a photo from iPhoto the geodata are kept BUT if I export it the default setting is the geodata are stripped (you can keep them by ticking a box).

Ah, paranoia back in box :bananadance

Andy

I do not see thieves operating this way. It would be probably to much hassle. It is easier to drive and look for the cars parked in an easy take-away areas, rather than drive to a given location only to find that the car is not there, or well protected. Unless there is a robbery for specific order of somebody who really want to have the given car. But I find this very unlikely.
I think these days the cars are stolen for pieces most of the time. It is too risky to sell the car a whole. Therefore for the thief it does not matter if this is a transporter, caravelle, multivan, cali or whatever. The access is the thing which plays decisive role. I guess.

I think that it is great that the precise location is stored on all of my pictures but I ensure that it is stripped off before posting them anywhere (Flickr or forums). I use software on my Mac which can show me where all of my pictures were taken and can show a world map where I can zoom in an see where I have been, and when, and which photos or videos I took there. It is even clever enough so that you see tell which direction the camera was pointing so that it is easy to identify objects in the distance, villages, mountains or whatever, from the map.

I understand the concerns over safety of course but if you remember to strip off the personal data when uploading I think it is better than losing this great functionality.

Back