Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water filler cap (and neck?) stolen

This is exactly what has happened to mine - the glue for the locking sleeve appears to be totally inadequate thus the locking sleeve comes away with the water filler cap - took me a few minutes to work out. What adhesive have people used to re-attach the locking sleeve to the body ?
I bought a new one.
My problem was that the plastic pins which are tightened with the metal nuts, were broken off.
When replacing, I noticed the glue had started to get loose too! So I still have my original cap.
The thing is just not too well thought. It had to be in one piece, and the connection between the unit and the water tank is just too firm. When the watertank moves, while drivng, there is too much stress on the filler neck.
It had to be a more flexible connection. But on the other hand, I am no engineer, so I am underpaid, and I know nothing about California's (for the almost 10 years I have it).

I bought a new one.
My problem was that the plastic pins which are tightened with the metal nuts, were broken off.
When replacing, I noticed the glue had started to get loose too! So I still have my original cap.
The thing is just not too well thought. It had to be in one piece, and the connection between the unit and the water tank is just too firm. When the watertank moves, while drivng, there is too much stress on the filler neck.
It had to be a more flexible connection. But on the other hand, I am no engineer, so I am underpaid, and I know nothing about California's (for the almost 10 years I have it).
Mmm, your comments re watertank movement have me wondering. Not all Cali owners seem to use their water tanks, but all those who have experienced problems clearly do.
Could it be that the movement in the tank with water in, (if in fact there is any, not experienced that yet?) that the cap vibrates or repeatedly clonks the housing and either the neck glue or the plastic holding the three locking tags fracture giving the impression of a forced entry??

I could move the watertank slightly from and to the side of the van, so I think, filled with water, taking a bendy road, or roundabouts, or heavy cornering can quite easily move a filled watertank. This combined with a very sturdy connection, made my front plate break the connection on the body, and slightly loosened the filler cap connection.

5 yrs and counting and almost 90,000 miles with constant use of Water Tank - No problems.

Also, there is a flexible Hose connection between tank and Filler with Jubilee clips. Part 24

Screenshot 2019-10-05 at 12.35.45.jpg

Also, there is a flexible Hose connection between tank and Filler with Jubilee clips.
It is just what you call flexilble. If it was more flexible, there would be less problems. That connection is far from flexible. It is just a quite hard piece of water tube. It should need to be more accordeon - ish than it is now. You can't really compress it in length. I know it, because I have changed the plate myself, with a new piece of water tube.

You and probably so many others might just be lucky not to have broken the part, or you have another tube than I have?

Oh, and I don't know if that really is the problem? It might just be a weak spot. Who knows?

Is it possible just to purchase the locking ring , as ours has disappeared today!
I have looked at the parts diagram and cannot see the locking ring.
thanks

Is it possible just to purchase the locking ring , as ours has disappeared today!
I have looked at the parts diagram and cannot see the locking ring.
thanks
Is it the 'Fresh Water locking Inlet Filler Cap' you are looking for? If so, the club shop sells a universal one, but there's also anothe shop that sells this one:
cap.jpg

IMG_20231121_124523.jpgHere is mine Not going to say who has been clumsy BUT is the only solution to follow Alan's notes and replace who neck Cannot I just replace damaged mount ?

When only the lid of the EHU-part was broken, VW told me the entire unit had to be replaced as the parts do not come seperately. Not sure this is true though.

When only the lid of the EHU-part was broken, VW told me the entire unit had to be replaced as the parts do not come seperately. Not sure this is true though.
Thanks Thomas ...Did you repair it yourself or did VW do it .. I have recently changed the water pump ... I managed it but the air was blue for a while ...

VW did it. Cost me 80 euro's, so all and all not too expensive.

Could it not have fallen off going over a speed bum pot hole etc etc. more chance of that than being stolen I would think.Even more so if the van is a few years old.

Back