Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water tap not working & Lid stuck on water tank

DavidofHook

DavidofHook

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Morning All,
We're off to Normans Bay tommorrow. I've cleaned the tank but when I tried to run water through the tap it just clicks. No pump noise, no water. My First thought was to read up all the very helpful stuff here. Then I tried to look at the fuse, no can do unless i take out the seat...... aargh! we left that!
Next, it could be that the pump impeller is stuck. but, and here is the question the plastic lid on the water tank is stuck. I have tried whacking the end of a a long piece of against the upright fins of the lid to no avail.
So, Has anyone any idea how I can get this pesky lid off please?

Have you tried from the rear wardrobe David top it with a piece of wood and a rubber mallet

Have you tried from the rear wardrobe David top it with a piece of wood and a rubber mallet
Hi Kev, Thanks, I've done that, What i might do is pull the rear seat forward and try too get to it from the back.

Morning All,
We're off to Normans Bay tommorrow. I've cleaned the tank but when I tried to run water through the tap it just clicks. No pump noise, no water. My First thought was to read up all the very helpful stuff here. Then I tried to look at the fuse, no can do unless i take out the seat...... aargh! we left that!
Next, it could be that the pump impeller is stuck. but, and here is the question the plastic lid on the water tank is stuck. I have tried whacking the end of a a long piece of against the upright fins of the lid to no avail.
I knocked up a “key” to open lid...

You should be able to get to the fuses easily if you rotate the passenger seat.D3365DFD-722C-4167-BDE7-C828B5361818.jpeg

Hi Alec, I've tried rotating there passenger seat, it just seems to cover the fuse even more than when facing g the front. The problem is the big protective rubber cover on the fuse box, you can get the rear half up ok but the side under the seat seems trapped by the seat. I will re rotate the seat, maybe I 'm not pushkin gh it back far enough. I actually think it may be the pump, as I'm getting the click on the tap. Thanks for the ideas of a key.
I have stopped the rubber mallet approach as the top fin on the lid is now bent! Maybe WD40? It is supposed to be fish oil so if it got in the tank it would be ok??

Hi Alec, I've tried rotating there passenger seat, it just seems to cover the fuse even more than when facing g the front. The problem is the big protective rubber cover on the fuse box, you can get the rear half up ok but the side under the seat seems trapped by the seat. I will re rotate the seat, maybe I 'm not pushkin gh it back far enough. I actually think it may be the pump, as I'm getting the click on the tap. Thanks for the ideas of a key.
I have stopped the rubber mallet approach as the top fin on the lid is now bent! Maybe WD40? It is supposed to be fish oil so if it got in the tank it would be ok??
No cover on my fuses. Just rotate my seat so it’s facing backwards, slide it as far back towards the kitchen as possible and I can easily see fuses from the footwell. The cover on mine is covering the battery at the rear of the seat.

If the Impeller on the pump is stuck, possible, Open the Tap and blow vigorously down the open tap until you hear bubbling in the water tank. A second pair of ears is useful for this. It might then kick into life.

The Forum Shop sells a tool to undo the water Tank cap. A length of wood with 2 bolts will also do the job. If you check out the Forum Shop you can see what is needed.

Aagh! And all these years I thought that they fuses are at the back under the seat. Found them easily. However, despite checking the car fuses under the dash, no fuse puller. So, as it is the hottest day of the year I'm packing it in for today. I'll get a fuse puller from Halfords later.
We rarely use the tank water anyway, it is such a faff having to clear the worktop. We can always get water from a tap at Camping Club sites,
Prior to the above, I've had a water tanklid off using your key idea key and given the pump a nudge but it still does not work. so once I have changed the fuses it may be a new pump.
Many thanks Alec and Kev for your help

If the Impeller on the pump is stuck, possible, Open the Tap and blow vigorously down the open tap until you hear bubbling in the water tank. A second pair of ears is useful for this. It might then kick into life.

The Forum Shop sells a tool to undo the water Tank cap. A length of wood with 2 bolts will also do the job. If you check out the Forum Shop you can see what is needed.
Hi Welshgas. I've carried out the blow testbot the pump still refuses to work! Thanks for that. No further action now until I get a fuse puller. In the meantime pack the van for tomorrow

I found the fuses under the seat a bugger to get out as they have a retaining tab at each end so they need 2 hands to remove.

I found a fuse puller.

On mine its behind the lower bottle holder clipped in on the left.

Hi Welshgas. I've carried out the blow testbot the pump still refuses to work! Thanks for that. No further action now until I get a fuse puller. In the meantime pack the van for tomorrow
There should be a plastic Fuse Puller in the Dashboard Fuse Box by the Gear stick.

Been down to Normans Bay, without water in the van, not a big problem for us. Huge thunderstorms and high winds, had to take down the awning during dinner on Thursday as our chairs looked as if they were going to get blown away ( I kid you not) and eat in the van. Friday morning, electricity went off, all water to the site is pumped so no showers, no loos, no washing up etc etc. And rolling thunder, black sky’s and 50% chance of rain . So, unlike us, we said s*d it and came home via the National Trust. Thanks for the info re the puller, mine isn't there so I'ii get one. Will keep you informed, thanks again, this is a good club

The rubber cover should be over the battery under the seat, not the fuses, which are in front of the battery.
I found spinning the seat so it faced the driver's seat and sliding it back up to the kitchen exposes the fuses better. The seatback needs to be upright though.

Alan

The rubber cover should be over the battery under the seat, not the fuses, which are in front of the battery.
I found spinning the seat so it faced the driver's seat and sliding it back up to the kitchen exposes the fuses better. The seatback needs to be upright though.

Alan
Thanks Alan, now found the fuses. But I need the puller to get them out and I've searched the different recommended places but can't find it. Halfords on Monday!

Thanks Alan, now found the fuses. But I need the puller to get them out and I've searched the different recommended places but can't find it. Halfords on Monday!
The fuses are not held very firmly and with a bit of a fiddle you can pull the under-seat ones with your fingers. The dashboard fuses are more difficult as they are set in more deeply making it impossible to extract them with your fingers. These do need the puller.

A small pair of instrument pliers or a set of tweezers may help if all else fails.

Alan.

Morning All,
I believe the lid is stuck due to it catching on the gas regulator however not sure how to free it, was told when fitting to the cylinder angle it downward. Good luck

I believe the lid is stuck due to it catching on the gas regulator however not sure how to free it, was told when fitting to the cylinder angle it downward. Good luck
He's on about the water tank access where the water pump
is fitted :cheers
Have you had a few :cheers

Morning All,
You can make a tool from a flat piece of wood, drill 2 holes in the wood and insert 2 bolts, you will have to measue roughly how far apart they need to be, as the protruding threads need to match the .plastic lid, you should then be able to turn the lid.

You can make a tool from a flat piece of wood, drill 2 holes in the wood and insert 2 bolts, you will have to measue roughly how far apart they need to be, as the protruding threads need to match the .plastic lid, you should then be able to turn the lid.
You can get to the fuse by turning the seat at right angle and push as far back as possible, the fuse is a 5 amp and it is the oly 5 amp in the fuse holder

Yep, done that, easier way was to simply screw in two wood screws in a flat piece of timber. Thanks anyway.

There are two 5amp fuses one for control panel and one for tap.

I have done a lot of reading on the very useful stuff on the forum. So, an update, the fuses are ok. The tap was choked up with chalk which I have now cleared but the pump is still not working. Logically it is now either the micro switch on the tap or the pump. However the tap still clicks so it is probably the pump which I've partially pulled out of the tank and given a wallop. Still no pumping! Despite the forum instructions this is now way beyond me so I will be ringing Jason at SMG tomorrow.

In the 60’s I decoked my Renault4L, no problem. Now though, older and wiser, and I worry about making things worse (often seems to happen!) so I'll go to the experts, it's a bit of a journey but I do trust them.
Thanks all for the help

Back