Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Waterproofing canvas sides to roof

M

Markm

VIP Member
We have collected our van and the man in the garage suggested we waterproof the bellows to the roof. We have just been in Go Outdoors and they have two products for the job, but both require you to wet the fabric forst prio to apllying a silicone based product, which doesnt seem right to me.

Can anybody confirm is this is correct or better still suggest a.n.other product to do the job, and yes before you say, we do have a vanorak but i am thinking about, should we get a warm night and we dont want the vanorak on and it then decides to rain.

Bad garage man!!! VW recommend not applying anything to the roof canvas at all.
It's actually very waterproof in most rain (although needs a couple of wettings to become completely effective)
Vanorack is brilliant for very heavy rain/persistent rain over a few days and for extra warmth but really the roof is designed to do the job you'd expect.

We recently left our Pucer cover off (which keeps out pretty much all rain!) on a nice sunny Scottish evening. It started hammering it down at midnightish and the wind went a bit wild. One very damp 18 month old, mattress, sheet, sleeping bag, pillow, back of van, etc was the result.

It'll keep off light rain with little wind but anything a bit lively and it fails. Checked ours very carefully for holes, rips, anything - all fine. I think VW needs to try a bit harder on waterproofing the roof! Main weaknesses seem to be the zip windows and the roof vents.

With the Pucer cover (takes a few mins to fit) we've survived force 8 winds and near monsoons with a pretty much bone dry roof.

Spot on Linda. See page 20 of the California Supplement. I know people who have done it but I won't while you are in warrenty. VW are getting strict when it comes to bellows replacements. You don't want to give them cause for concern if you have a problem.

KernowLad... being only 5' 7 would I have an problem fitting the Pucer?

Michel - I'm only an inch taller! Its easiest with two in any wind but fine with one in light stuff. Awesome product in my opinion but shouldn't really have to be used in the first place!

Put the van into the wind.....it's easy then...........

We've been in a couple of what can only be described as torrential storms and not had any water leak in except when I left the front window open. :doh

Interesting the 'do not apply' advice in the handbook, from experience we have always had to proof our tents, whether the modern material or the old canvas. Sounds like VW covering their backsides as they have no control over water proofing products.

Our van is now outside of warrenty and, like in the comments above, we like to use without the Mutze on hot nights as it improves air flow (clearly not a problem in the UK ;) ). So as we have just proofed the Kyham awning, with great effect, we may well take the plung and treat the bellows too. I think we used Fabsil if anyone is interested.

Regards Barry

Stu - was it windy though? That's what drives the rain through the zips and air vents. We've been fine in heavy rain but light winds. Add a force 5+ wind and the roof doesn't keep it out. A good cover keeps it dry in a force 8+ and heavy rain!

It was quite windy but no where near the sort of conditions you found yourself in, I don't envy you there. :laugh2

Stu said:
It was quite windy but no where near the sort of conditions you found yourself in, I don't envy you there. :laugh2

It did take us by surprise! Nice calm evening and a pleasant sunset then by about midnight, super strong winds and driving rain! Can't believe the baby slept through it - she was pretty much soaked!

Lesson learnt - ALWAYS put the cover on (unless you're really sure it'll be okay!)!

Holmenkol do an excellent spray that also subdues risk of mildew