Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

We have no control over our homes

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
The government outlawed people from using their own properties in some areas.

It would also now take around a year to evict a problem tenant due to the covid laws and subsequent expected court backlogs. Rental guarantee insurance doesn’t cover landlords during covid because evictions are not possible.

It’s all a bit shocking. I thought I had some control over things.

Re: The government outlawed people from using their own properties in some areas.

Which areas?

Re: The government outlawed people from using their own properties in some areas.

Which areas?
Any area where they own a second home I guess. Travel between multiple homes frowned upon unless you are one of the more equal ones.

Lightning is writing (I suspect) from the perspective of someone who, I presume, owns a house in the UK which is let out while he travels overseas. Yes?

In that quite unusual situation or anything like it, I can only sympathise.

But the great majority of second home owners have a primary residence (in fact, I guess all of them do, definitionally). So if they end up with an unwanted sitting tenant in their second property for longer than they'd wish, as a result of the national emergency, it hardly seems to me to be a massive infringement of their fundamental rights.

Lightning is writing (I suspect) from the perspective of someone who, I presume, owns a house in the UK which is let out while he travels overseas. Yes?

But the great majority of second home owners have a primary residence (in fact, I guess all of them do, definitionally). So if they end up with an unwanted sitting tenant in their second property for longer than they'd wish, as a result of the national emergency, it hardly seems to me to be a massive infringement of their fundamental rights.
Years ago I let my house. When I expected to return, the tenant refused to leave. The options thereafter for eviction were probably as limited then as they are now. I took my motor home to the Lake District for a couple of months.

Yes, I let a property in Wales and Bristol.

Even if you have a primary residence I just find it a bit shocking that you have no control over your second home. It’s just unexpected that you cant up stick and go there. Who would have thought this possible before.

Regarding landlords, I expect zero sympathy but they have been shafted. They get zero government support during covid yet may have to bank roll their tenants until they are allowed to evict them. They can get a 3 month mortgage deferral, not holiday, but many landlords rely on the income over and above this to maintain the property and live.

The fact their insurance doesn’t cover them is the cherry on top.

i don’t personally have any problems yet.

Years ago I let my house. When I expected to return, the tenant refused to leave. The options thereafter for eviction were probably as limited then as they are now. I took my motor home to the Lake District for a couple of months.
It takes at least 6 months these days. It’s like playing Russian roulette.

If i lived in one of your renters and id seen you eating jam butties on
you're travels i would invite you around for a massive sunday lunch.

If i lived in one of your renters and id seen you eating jam butties on
you're travels i would invite you around for a massive sunday lunch.
The one in Wales bakes me a cake every time I go and see her. I haven’t put her rent up for 5 years :)

Back