Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Weather looks pants this weekend

J

Jonney

Just picked up our first Cali, it's amazing best car I've driven. Really disappointed by the weather forecast this weekend, we were looking forward to a long weekend on the south Devon coast, it's going to be a bit cold though......

Question is....should we go? Really want to. Any tips?

I suppose I just want someone to say, get out there and enjoy your first weekend. :D

Yes ! Go . The Cali is a really toasty vehicle, the heater is fab. Our first proper trip was to Scotland this time last year - biting cold! We just adjusted our day depending on coldness eg short walks instead of big treks, more tea and reading, whisky tours. Calis are so flexible you could always check the weather map and follow the sun or just choose a local site in case you feel the need to bail out . Enjoy :)

As I've just posted in another thread, I've just got up, the heating is on and the kettle boiled. There is snow on the ground around us in Luxembourg.

Go for it, it's what you bought it for. :thumb

Home is where you park it!!!!

it's probably slightly warmer where you are stu ...i've got this lovely breeze coming off the north sea giving us a very chilly chill factor :sad

It's 2.5 degrees where we are in the New Forest but the heater is brilliant and the site we are on has great (very warm!) facilities. We'll be off out on our cycles in a bit. We'll soon warm up and it is great to be out!

When the weather is this cold, does anyone fill the water tank for a trip? I drained mine for the winter as a precaution, but it would be handy if it was OK to use it. Has anyone safely used the tank (maybe just part-filled) in sub zero conditions?

Also, the site that we have booked in the Lakes doesn't have hookup. Do you think short, local drives each day are likely to provide enough charge to keep the lights running & the heater operational? I don't really want to have to drive round for hours just to charge up the batteries, and as yet I have no experience of life off hookup.

Thanks,
Simon

We've just done a nice 10 mile loop on the bikes and the Cali now feels VERY warm in comparison!

Remember that seating your engine takes quite a lot of juice so you need to run the engine for something like 15-20 minutes to put that back before you start charging. The heater takes most of its power when it first starts up so you will notice the battery very quickly running down to around 60. You will find it'll probably stay there for a few days though. Recharge when it gets to 50% - it isn't good for the batteries to go much lower. The lights use very little power. I've not used the heater much for a prolonged period when off hookup but the lights and fridge can easily run for 4-5 days without running the engine.

..and we tend to leave the van without water. We just fill a five litre bottle (and keep the wine inside with us!)

Stu said:
As I've just posted in another thread, I've just got up, the heating is on and the kettle boiled. There is snow on the ground around us in Luxembourg.

Go for it, it's what you bought it for. :thumb

Home is where you park it!!!!

SNOW! You've taken your Cali out in the snow :smile

muttley said:
When the weather is this cold, does anyone fill the water tank for a trip? I drained mine for the winter as a precaution, but it would be handy if it was OK to use it. Has anyone safely used the tank (maybe just part-filled) in sub zero conditions?

Also, the site that we have booked in the Lakes doesn't have hookup. Do you think short, local drives each day are likely to provide enough charge to keep the lights running & the heater operational? I don't really want to have to drive round for hours just to charge up the batteries, and as yet I have no experience of life off hookup.

Thanks,
Simon

Last October we used our van for 5 nights without hook up while on the Isle of Mull, heater was on low all night, but off during the day. The batteries seemed to cope okay.

That'll be thermal pants!

Heading off on "tour" on Friday. 3 nights near Ullswater. They wanted £10pn for electric!! So it will be just us and the van. Given comments in here I think that'll be OK. Next stop will be on HU but the run there will beef up the batteries.

Jonney said:
Just picked up our first Cali, it's amazing best car I've driven. Really disappointed by the weather forecast this weekend, we were looking forward to a long weekend on the south Devon coast, it's going to be a bit cold though......

Question is....should we go? Really want to. Any tips?

I suppose I just want someone to say, get out there and enjoy your first weekend. :D

Hi

Just loading my Cali up for four nights down on the Cornwall coast, go for it :thumb You will be amazed how warm your Cali will be, the only thing I would say is if you have electric hook up take a little fan heater with you to save on the diesel.

Have a great time and enjoy your new baby and all the interested looks you will get :bananadance

Keep us posted.

Steve

I don't have a barn to allow mine to Hibernate over winter Phil!!

Has yours broken cover yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stu said:
I don't have a barn to allow mine to Hibernate over winter Phil!!

Has yours broken cover yet?

Thread Hijack :laugh2

Me thinks you have been talking to a fellow owner ;)

Well, yesterday it was fine weather, the snow had cleared from the drive and I felt confident it wouldn't get dirty. So, as part of a pre-season supplies and equipment checklist, I drove it outside, put the heater on, did the checklist while having a cuppa and then put it away again. So it has kinda been used in 2013. :bananadance

Heading to Mont St Michel at Easter but looking at the weather it is little better than here so started to look how far south we would have to go to get good weather . Not sure we can get Spain however. We will stick with plan A and wear jumpers and have a fan heater running . I think Kids will not brave the tents so it will be 4 up on a night.
It's not work , we are in the Cali , French bread and wine , happy days.

Back