Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Weird kink on side of roof on T6.1, normal?

M

Markgray6.1ocean

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
F1FA435F-7CA2-46D9-8A78-24E19B63890D.jpegas you can see where I’ve circled it red it sticks out abit, I thought it was to do with the hinges but not that as the other side is straight, it’s like it’s come out of the mould like it, any one else have this on their vans??

Not normal @Markgray6.1ocean . Something has happened to kink the roof. Difficult to say exactly what but I seem to recall others on here who’ve had similar damage.

Who told you the roof is fibreglass ????

If that’s the case then the canvas would be seriously damaged ? Canvas is fine. As it’s a fibre glass roof it would flex a small amount but not stay out of shape.

No. The canvas would be fine. That is the "Cali" bump. Lowering the roof, trap the canvas, the soft Aluminium roof buckles. It's not fibreglass, who told you that?

Check your canvas anyway. When my first one of those appeared I had a small tear, tearaid (obtainable from club shop) fixed it forever.

No big deal. We've all done it. You learn to rely on mark 1 eyeball. ALWAYS get out of the seat with the roof half lowered and walk around checking nothing trapped. No amount of add-ons such as bungees are as effective as that walk around.

It's common my t6 had that kink when I bought it . Could be caused by the cushion at the back being out of place when lowering. The hydraulics pull it down tight but the back end sticks up causing the crease.

Not normal. You have had something trapped. It’s aluminium, not fibreglass. There are some threads on how some have repaired theirs. It’s unlikely to come under warranty if you had something trapped.

Not normal. You have had something trapped. It’s aluminium, not fibreglass. There are some threads on how some have repaired theirs. It’s unlikely to come under warranty if you had something trapped.
My local dealer said it was fiber glass, makes sense if something was left up there. Do you have the link where people have repaired it? Would like to see what’s involved.

My local dealer said it was fiber glass, makes sense if something was left up there. Do you have the link where people have repaired it? Would like to see what’s involved.
Your need to change dealers then. Use the forum search and you will pickup the threads that can help you.

Pai
A paintless dent removal company will tap it out for you

Potentially caused by closing the roof without doors or windows open, I witnessed similar damage on a hire van at a campsite.

View attachment 106180as you can see where I’ve circled it red it sticks out abit, I thought it was to do with the hinges but not that as the other side is straight, it’s like it’s come out of the mould like it, any one else have this on their vans??
I have that on mine. I wondered if previous owner had closed the roof with bedding left in roof?

Roof has been closed without removing an additional mattress / topper / pillow etc.

Cali roof is made of thin aluminium, so is very fragile…good news is that it is very easy to put back in shape.

Agree - something in the roof, or on the ledge around the upper bed, or trapped canvas due to door not open when closing. Easily done. If there’s no other issues then a dent repairer will be able to straighten.

My canvas got caught in a windy day a few weeks ago-even after checking and having door open. It was very gusty though. Roof struggled to close and when I looked I thought the worst. Got the roof open and closed it again. Checked the canvas when I got home and it was ok. The crease was visible so I stood on the sliding door step and pushed it with my thumb. There is no noticeable crease now. Bit shocked at the time but turned out okay.

View attachment 106180as you can see where I’ve circled it red it sticks out abit, I thought it was to do with the hinges but not that as the other side is straight, it’s like it’s come out of the mould like it, any one else have this on their vans??
Yep. Not normal. As others have said, caused when the canvas gets stuck when closing.

This is what happens first (see pic)

You can see the area that will cause that kink to appear. May not necessarily damage the canvas.

Close the roof normally. Then use a mallet to beat it lightly back into shape and then forget about it and enjoy your adventures.

7663aeb6d970fe4575f976d1f077a541.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Yeah we have something similar. Just means something got caught once and pushed against the roof. A very small dent/kink.

You gotta love the electro-hydraulic roof. I admire how everyone finds this so normal and is somewhat indifferent about it. And they're right! Knock back the dent, move on and enjoy what else your California has to offer :thumb Keep the spirit high.