Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rust on pop up roof hinges

Bellers

Bellers

VIP Member
On returning from holiday this summer, I noticed that there were several small rust patches forming on the roof hinges. I contacted VW customer care who inform me that this is not covered under the 3 year warranty, due to the fact these are mechanical parts, and the rust is only a cosmetic issue, not mechanical failure. I remain in communication with VW to see if this can yet be resolved to my satisfaction. Has anyone else noticed rust on their roof hinges.

Not heard of that I honestly thought the roof hinges were galvaniesed I could be wrong

Either way they should not be rusting :headbang

We had rust on our hinges too. It wiped off so we are keeping our eye on it. Quite worried though, in case it damages the canvas.

I have now heard back from the van centre that VW will not be replacing the rusty roof hinges under warranty. They consider the roof hinges a mechanical component so like anything in the engine bay not covered by anti corrosion warranty. This despite the fact they are obviously highly visible when the roof is elevated. TBC...

Bellers said:
I have now heard back from the van centre that VW will not be replacing the rusty roof hinges under warranty. They consider the roof hinges a mechanical component so like anything in the engine bay not covered by anti corrosion warranty. This despite the fact they are obviously highly visible when the roof is elevated. TBC...

I would have thought that they shouldnt be rusting , certainly not under 2 years old.

we were 'fobbed off' as the rust wiped off.

please keep me posted.

Just for information, I did not accept VWs response that the items are mechanical components and therefore not covered under the anti corrosion warranty. I contacted VW CC again in writing requesting they provide me with further details, including to confirm what material the hinges were manufactured from. I have now heard back from VW CC, confirming that the VW factory in Germany say the hinges are made from galvanised steel, so there should not be any rust in a vehicle of that age. Whilst I am yet to receive confirmation from VW CC, it would seem they now appear to be willing to replace the hinges under the anti corrosion warranty.

I've noticed rust on our hinges, I'll check them again and contact my local dealer.

Back