Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have I actually got?

C

ClangsHoldfast

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi everyone,
First possibly dozy question as promised in my intro......

Approx. one month ago I bought a 2017 California Ocean sold by a generalist car dealer, so the ad did not feature the usual campervan jargon.
My V5C doc describes the vehicle as a 'VW California Ocean TDI BMT 4M SA' Type is 7HMA Variant CCXEB308X1

What does all that mean and how does it relate to a T5 or T6 please?

(As an aside, when I searched for and took out insurance using one of the comparison websites, it auto populated the provider's database with details of a car saloon. 3 weeks later I found out that the provider would not insure campervans so lost £95 before switching to Sterling via this website). Anyone else experienced the same - or am I just lucky :D

Colin L

Hi everyone,
First possibly dozy question as promised in my intro......

Approx. one month ago I bought a 2017 California Ocean sold by a generalist car dealer, so the ad did not feature the usual campervan jargon.
My V5C doc describes the vehicle as a 'VW California Ocean TDI BMT 4M SA' Type is 7HMA Variant CCXEB308X1

What does all that mean and how does it relate to a T5 or T6 please?

(As an aside, when I searched for and took out insurance using one of the comparison websites, it auto populated the provider's database with details of a car saloon. 3 weeks later I found out that the provider would not insure campervans so lost £95 before switching to Sterling via this website). Anyone else experienced the same - or am I just lucky :D

Colin L
A 2017 California Ocean would be a T6.

It's possibly a 150 hp 4 wheel drive T6. Ocean is full camper spec with kitchen etc. BMT means Bluemotion Technology which is stop/start etc to reduce emissions.

T6 front light, have an angle at the side 1688144569657.png
T5 front light, come at the side straight down: 1688144699821.png

VW California Ocean - Cali with cupboards, Rock n Roll, Sink, Hob, Fridge.
TDI - Turbo Diesel Injection
BMT - Blue Motion, stop start and other fuel efficiency measures
4M - 4 Motion (4WD).
SA - No idea and neither it seems does Google. SE is a trim level so maybe SA is too?

The other two are factory codes for spec, a dealer will have a system that will tell you what was factory fitted on those variants.

Last edited:
CXEB is the engine designation = Bi turbo 204

Back