What is this plastic piece of tape good for?

R

Rens

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
When cleaning the rooftop rubbers I found a little piece of plastic tape on both front corners. I think I will remove them, but maybe someone knows if this is somehow important? Its on my 2020 T6.1
Roof front left.jpg

Don't have on ours - just bare rubber. Maybe a PDI item the dealer forgot to remove?

Edit - I was looking at the rubber, ours has the tape on the painted metal.

Last edited:
I am keeping mine and will replace when needed with so called helicopter tape. I am guessing they protect an area of paint that is liable to rubbing.

Slightly more concerning but might your front roof drain be blocked? Perhaps it is draining away and you up are up to speed on the roof drains, but if not there are several posts here if you search (though you need to be VIP, ie supporting the website, to search within it). If you are new to the roof drains then be careful - in particular don’t poke things into the inlet!

It’s to stop galvanic corrosion between the roof and the bodywork I believe.

I am keeping mine and will replace when needed with so called helicopter tape. I am guessing they protect an area of paint that is liable to rubbing.

Slightly more concerning but might your front roof drain be blocked? Perhaps it is draining away and you up are up to speed on the roof drains, but if not there are several posts here if you search (though you need to be VIP, ie supporting the website, to search within it). If you are new to the roof drains then be careful - in particular don’t poke things into the inlet!
Thanx. It doesn't leak, but I'll check (became vip member) to be sure.

Thanx. It doesn't leak, but I'll check (became vip member) to be sure.
My concern was not a leak, more the function of the two front drains. I will add some strings here, though there are plenty more:

Last edited:
My concern was not a leak, more the function of the two front drains. I will add some strings here, though there are plenty more:
I'm very glad you gave me that tip! I have cleaned the drains, luckily they are ok (the gurgling sound cleard up another mystery, heard that once before at night and couldn't figure out what caused that).
Also cleaned the backside drains, they were clogged, had to remove some small leafs there. Will check regularly from now on, thanx!

It’s to stop galvanic corrosion between the roof and the bodywork I believe.
can anyone explain how tape on rubber can help to stop galvanic corrosion ?
are there more T6.1 ocean owners with the tape shown in picture applied to rubber seal ?

can anyone explain how tape on rubber can help to stop galvanic corrosion ?
are there more T6.1 ocean owners with the tape shown in picture applied to rubber seal
The tape is not on the rubber but on the painted area that the rubber seal seats against. I presume that there is a possibility that the paint would wear away with vibration from the rubber on the edge of the lifting roof and allow the metal to corrode. Hence the tape. Not galvanic corrosion unless the rubber wears away too to expose the aluminium of the roof. Unlikely, I would think.

I'm very glad you gave me that tip! I have cleaned the drains, luckily they are ok (the gurgling sound cleard up another mystery, heard that once before at night and couldn't figure out what caused that).
Also cleaned the backside drains, they were clogged, had to remove some small leafs there. Will check regularly from now on, thanx!
This forum is helpful. As a new owner I learned all I could, and I continue to learn (for example just found out the advantage of removing the rear seat runner’s front stop, I will add a link below).

After a while you can then start to impart what you have learned to newer owner members, which is further satisfying.

Post in thread 'Cali technical tips&tricks'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/cali-technical-tips-tricks.9457/post-275929

Because you are in the Netherlands you have the further possibility, I believe, of an educational visit to Campercentrum at Amersfoort I believe. Which from other posts here takes you into the knowledge super league!

Here is one example:

Thread 'Some useful technical hints and tips for the Cali from Holland.'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...nts-and-tips-for-the-cali-from-holland.23723/

Last edited:
Read the title and just have to respond...

"Absolutely Nothing, uuuh!" (for those that missed the slight humour, I was quoting 'War'....by Edwin Starr..."

Other than that, I cant contribute much, other than I dont recognise it from our MY19 Cali Ocean we had previously.

Last edited:
Read the title and just have to respond...

"Absolutely Nothing, uuuh!"

Other than that, I cant contribute much, other than I dont recognise it from our MY19 Cali Ocean we had previously.
Our 17MY has them and I have replaced them a number of times.

I have a slightly different view, rightly or wrongly. I don’t know exactly what they are there to do, but VW wouldn’t have added these if it didn’t have a purpose, whilst these won’t be expensive for them to buy, they will take time to fit manually and thus have a labour cost. Over the years car companies constantly look to take cost out of non customer facing areas and if they didn’t serve a purpose they would have gone long time a go.

A

Likewise referring back to the title, I would guess that VW thought that given the aluminium roof is bracketed at the rear (and elevating higher at the front) the principal lateral slack would occur at the front corners: from wind force when lowered. Therefore if there is going to be any rubbing it will be here.

Although the two front ridges will also align the roof whilst dropping, I would have thought this was a lesser concern regarding paint rubbing.

Added to this is the fact that abrasive material such as salt and sand may collect from roof level run off and not be immediately cleaned.

I wonder if any older California have any indication of paint wear in these locations?

Likewise referring back to the title, I would guess that VW thought that given the aluminium roof is bracketed at the rear (and elevating higher at the front) the principal lateral slack would occur at the front corners: from wind force when lowered. Therefore if there is going to be any rubbing it will be here.

Although the two front ridges will also align the roof whilst dropping, I would have thought this was a lesser concern regarding paint rubbing.

Added to this is the fact that abrasive material such as salt and sand may collect from roof level run off and not be immediately cleaned.

I wonder if any older California have any indication of paint wear in these locations?
Yes, and that is why VW added those protection stickers to prevent the paint being rubbed off.
This was mine before repainting and applying the tape:
linker bult.jpg
rechter bult.jpg

Yes, I should have cleaned it.

But that won't prevent the rest of the paint to come off:
middenstuk.jpg

This is in the middle section.

This was applyed in combination with the roof corrosion recall, and was applyed on California's from after 2017 or 2018 i guess?

Back