Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What spec would you have if you could?

James

James

Top Poster
VIP Member
This is a slightly meaningless question I guess because until you drive something you probably don't know.

But if the full engine range was available for the Cali and Beach - is there one that would take your fancy?

In Germany, the full Cali comes with these engine options

Diesel:
2.0 liter 75 kW TDI
2.0-liter TDI 103 kW 4MOTION
2.0-liter TDI 103 kW
2.0 liter 132 kW 4MOTION BiTDI
2.0 liter 132 kW BiTDI

Gasoline:
2.0 liter 150 kW TSI 4MOTION
2.0 liter 150 kW TSI
2.0 liter 110 kW TSI

BlueMotion:
2.0 liter 103 kW TDI BlueMotion
2.0 liter 84 kW TDI BlueMotion

And for the Beach

2.0 liter 62 kW TDI
1.6 liter 75 kW TDI
2.0-liter TDI 103 kW 4MOTION
2.0-liter TDI 103 kW
2.0 liter 132 kW 4MOTION BiTDI
2.0 liter 132 kW BiTDI

BlueMotion:
2.0-liter 62kW TDI BlueMotion
2.0 liter 103 kW TDI BlueMotion
2.0 liter 84 kW TDI BlueMotion

Gasoline:
2.0 liter 150 kW TSI 4MOTION
2.0 liter 150 kW TSI
2.0 liter 110 kW TSI

That's a broad spread of options - anyone for a petrol Cali?

I was surprised at the amount of engine options available - the 1.6 diesel in a Beach... interesting.

James

Just got back from France and it was good to see that Diesel was cheaper than Petrol, the way it should be and the way it was over here some time ago - now we just get ripped off.

There are times when a TSi engine is more viable than a TDi in a car but I can't see it in the Cali, it's just sooooo heavy.

I found it quite easy to reduce to 28mpg last week :cry:

2.0 liter 150 kW TSI then put an LPG conversion on it.

LPG is seriously cheap & pulls better than petrol or diesel.

Andy said:

Yeah I had it done to my T25 - it was running a 2.1 waterboxer - you may as well drive along and just set fire to your wallet.

So we had an LPG conversion done.

The TSI engine - in top spec is interesting - there is a youtube video of someone taking one - a multivan to max speed and driving it very fast - - I wouldn't want to drive that fast but looks awesome.

It amazes me that even on the continent - there is a market for petrol.

James

In NZ diesel is 2/3rds the price of petrol ($1.50/l ... around 70p/l). Remap the van to 155kw and you get the best of both worlds.

155kw 4motion TDI for me!

But what about the additional diesel tax you need to put on the vehicle. How much is that these days?

Annoying smug g1t post...

Exactly what we have got.

***Runs away*** :lol:

James said:
Andy said:

Yeah I had it done to my T25 - it was running a 2.1 waterboxer - you may as well drive along and just set fire to your wallet.

The TSI engine - in top spec is interesting - there is a youtube video of someone taking one - a multivan to max speed and driving it very fast - - I wouldn't want to drive that fast but looks awesome.

James

Hi James - How have you found your LPG conversion? My mum had one in her Mazda Bongo and raves about it...was wondering whether it would be a viable option on a Cali Beach and whether it would be worth us doing it...weighed up the cost/benefit and seems to pay for itself pretty quickly but wondered if there was anythiing else to consider...
Jane

Hi James - How have you found your LPG conversion? My mum had one in her Mazda Bongo and raves about it...was wondering whether it would be a viable option on a Cali Beach and whether it would be worth us doing it...weighed up the cost/benefit and seems to pay for itself pretty quickly but wondered if there was anythiing else to consider...
Jane

Can't be practically done on a diesel engines. http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/diesel.html

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

maui2512 said:
James said:
Andy said:

James

Jane

I haven't got my T3 anymore but it was good, because of the type of engine and fuel injection etc etc it had to have a certain type of system. I have a friend with a petrol V8 Disco and he has a very good LPG system and he says it is superb.

I would not see the point (Andy saw your link, that is interesting) on a diesel. The Beach considering its size is not bad on fuel, bear in mind my 1991 T3 with a 2.1 injection petrol engine was barely making it past the low 20's and the auto box did further damage to this.

They are not cheap to convert and unless there was a dramatic improvement in fuel economy I am not sure it would be viable.

Now, if I had the German Cali they fit with the 200bhp TSi petrol engine... I might consider it!

James

great- thanks James and Andy..don't think I'd realised you couldn't really convert diesels :oops: ...great info. thanks!

Engine with loads of torque ,jacked up
,skid plate ,Deffo a big winch and some modest bumper and light protection ... Oh and the usual bike rack awning and mud flaps :) lol

choplee said:
,skid plate ,Deffo a big winch and some modest bumper and light protection ... Oh and the usual bike rack awning and mud flaps :) lol

4 Motion?

James

James said:
choplee said:

4 Motion?

James

Maybe ;-)

Ur pushing it now James ,so I'll not comment quite yet ...lol

That's the kitty cat ... Lol
Maybe we should start a new thread

choplee said:
That's the kitty cat ... Lol
Maybe we should start a new thread

The Rockton?

It's not cheap but it's proper off road - well, as proper as the 4 Motion will allow. I love the bracket for the spare wheel in the van attached to the floor rails.

Would love to import one of these :)

Back