Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wheel load ratings markings

Trev

Trev

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi looking at a set of second hand wheels (from a T5). Which of the various markings on the wheels will tell me the load ratings please? I’ve tried google without success. Thanks in advance.

Wheel (rim) load ratings aren't on VW Factory supplied wheels.

Only way to be sure on VW originals is to verify that they were either Factory fit or an option.
Amorak wheels are OK.

Aftermarket wheels will have the load rating on them on the inside spoke area, in kgs.

Do you know what wheel style/size you are looking at?
I've got a reasonable accumulated knowledge gathered after looking at wheels too much.

Photo of wheel outer will suffice if a VW supplied rim.

Last edited:
I think the OP was asking about the load rating of the Wheels not the tyres.

Wheel load rating is not always marked on the wheels, generally, most transporter wheels will be load rated for the California as it is based on the T30, only the T32 needs wheels rated higher.
The manufacturer of the wheels normally lists the load rating on the spec sheet.

If steels, then see pic below.

PXL_20201027_095433699.jpg

On Alloys, look behind the wheel, or as Loz states, check up the spec sheet.

Wheel (rim) load ratings aren't on VW Factory supplied wheels.

Only way to be sure on VW originals is to verify that they were either Factory fit or an option.
Amorak wheels are OK.

Aftermarket wheels will have the load rating on them on the inside spoke area, in kgs.

Do you know what wheel style/size you are looking at?
I've got a reasonable accumulated knowledge gathered after looking at wheels too much.

Photo of wheel outer will suffice if a VW supplied rim.
Thanks BJG. They are factory fitted apparently. Here are a couple of pics. Thanks for your help. FA1F574E-C8C1-44E6-B652-E27A12FFF30B.jpeg5CC66525-B38E-4655-83B8-D2ADF1393B59.jpeg

I think the OP was asking about the load rating of the Wheels not the tyres.

Wheel load rating is not always marked on the wheels, generally, most transporter wheels will be load rated for the California as it is based on the T30, only the T32 needs wheels rated higher.
The manufacturer of the wheels normally lists the load rating on the spec sheet.
Thanks Loz. Can’t see any helpful kg markings. They are off a T5. Not sure if van or Cali.

Thanks BJG. They are factory fitted apparently. Here are a couple of pics. Thanks for your help. View attachment 87062View attachment 87063
Those look like the 'Thunder' 17" wheels which were a standard VW wheel so all good see below to check

Find the KBA number inside the rims. Search for this and it will give you the manufacture details along with the los rating.

Example here sorry about poor photo B5B3D073-0BE2-4E04-BA09-BBCA0BD2AB5D.jpeg

I've never been able to get load rating figures on VW rims but as Steel rims are 960kgs they will be that as a minimum.

I've never been able to get load rating figures on VW rims but as Steel rims are 960kgs they will be that as a minimum.

I'm not sure that is correct.
The VW Dakar alloys only have a rating of 875kg & they were a factory fit on the Berghaus special edition.
The standard 17" Arajuca alloys that I took off my van were 850kg rated.

There have been many discussions on other forums about whether particular VW rims are suitable to used on T32 vans & it appears quite a few are not.

Having said that, if they are genuine vw T5, T6 or T6.1 they will be ok load wise for a california, just be aware that not all fit over the bigger brakes.

The VW Dakar alloys only have a rating of 875kg & they were a factory fit on the Berghaus special edition.

There have been many discussions on other forums about whether particular VW rims are suitable to used on T32 vans & it appears quite a few are not.

Having said that, if they are genuine vw T5, T6 or T6.1 they will be ok load wise for a california, just be aware that not all fit over the bigger brakes.
Andy thanks. They are off a T5 Cali so load should be OK. Re bigger brakes a dumb question how will I know if I have those or not? We have a 2019 150 ps DSG Cali.

Andy thanks. They are off a T5 Cali so load should be OK. Re bigger brakes a dumb question how will I know if I have those or not? We have a 2019 150 ps DSG Cali.
Have a look at the front caliper, if if has the square cover it has the big 340mm brakes, if it looks more like the rear brakes then you have the smaller brakes.
1638264650122.png
Big brakes.

If you post a picture of the front of the wheels you are considering, there are plenty of people on here that will confirm that they will fit.

From memory its only the 18" five split spoke sportline Alloys & All 16" wheels that won't fit over the bigger brakes.

If you post a picture of the front of the wheels you are considering, there are plenty of people on here that will confirm that they will fit.

From memory its only the 18" five split spoke sportline Alloys & All 16" wheels that won't fit over the bigger brakes.
Thanks Andy. Here they are.

7BBCF5D7-77C4-4055-8656-66AAC71DDD40.jpeg

Those are Thunder alloys. Standard fitment some models / years. They will fit any cali fine, just check the load ratings of the tyres & compare with the label you have on your drivers door pillar.

No need to worry as VW 17" wheel will fit the bigger brakes.
Unless modified the T5 150 didn't have the bigger brakes , new T6.1 does.

Those are Thunder alloys. Standard fitment some models / years. They will fit any cali fine, just check the load ratings of the tyres & compare with the label you have on your drivers door pillar.
Thanks Andy. Yes am comfortable re tyre ratings needed. Will fit winter tyres that are rated appropriately.
No need to worry as VW 17" wheel will fit the bigger brakes.
Unless modified the T5 150 didn't have the bigger brakes , new T6.1 does.
Thanks BJG and all others who have responded - very helpful input.