Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wheel sizing for winters - sanity check

downthepub

downthepub

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hello, I’m relatively new around these parts, but experienced with cars/4x4s in other guises in life. Just so I can prevent an expensive mistake, I wanted a validation on my thinking.

I’ve got a ’17 Ocean 204PS (not 4motion) that is fitted with factory 18” Toluca alloys. Because of where I live and what I want to do, a set of winter tyres and wheels are in order. From reading the forum and brochures of when my model was current, it’s possible to fit tyres of 17” 235/55 or 215/60, 18“ 255/45 to wheels which are suitable for the Transporter T30. Is there anything else I should be taking into account?

I run a set of 17" steel wheels with 235/55 Dunlop snowflake grade winter tyres.

Personally I am happy with the wheel choice. Go to a lower profile and you risk scuffing the wheels if you slid on ice in to kerbside. The steels just give a greater sense of toughness for the winter conditions.

I change end October and start April.

I thought I had seen that if you go wider than 235 then the tyre is liable to rub on the wheel arch.

Yep, standard snow chains should only be used With 215/60 according to VW. There are of course a number of low clearance chains such as the Thule/Konig Summit which can be used with the wider options but big bucks.

Of topic, how are your Toluca’s fairing? Ive a 2018 with them on and am just about to go into bat with VW tho get them replaced under warranty for corrosion on the diamond cut faces. Unacceptable, but we’ll see how it goes.

Yep, standard snow chains should only be used With 215/60 according to VW. There are of course a number of low clearance chains such as the Thule/Konig Summit which can be used with the wider options but big bucks.

Of topic, how are your Toluca’s fairing? Ive a 2018 with them on and am just about to go into bat with VW tho get them replaced under warranty for corrosion on the diamond cut faces. Unacceptable, but we’ll see how it goes.
Well known problem with diamond cut wheels, they do look great though. Had a car that the brand changed the wheels 3 times in just over 3 years.

All of the following can be fitted to Californias as they about the same diameter but you have 18” so the latter 2. Also thinner tyres are supposedly better in winter, so first ones of each. 235/50 r18 tyres are a more common size and I have Michelin Crossclimate in those: they are 103 load index but Calis are ok on 101 upwards.

215/60r17
235/55 r17

235/50 r18
255/45 r18

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking in terms of getting another set of wheels for the winter, so I can change over without needing a tyre fitter and also it’s kinder to the alloys. From what everyone is saying that either 17” or 18” wheels are fine in the sizes quoted above. In fact for my other car I’ve two sets of wheels for summer and winter use - on that I’ve reduced the rears from 275 to 255 for winter use making it 255 all round so I’d be leaning towards the 215/60.

In terms of the Toluca alloys themselves, they are all in very good nick, no issues with the diamond cut discolouring. Keeping them away from salty roads is another reason to have a separate set of winter wheels. As mentioned I’d been wondering about steels rather than alloys as when it all goes wrong they bend rather than shattering. Probably a little cheaper too.

Last edited:
Back