Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When will people stop buying Cali's?

MrSheen

MrSheen

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I notice today that Cali prices are increasing again in a few weeks and the new road tax comes into force next year meaning a high spec Ocean could soon cost in excess of £65k!! This is now getting into stupid-money territory and I don't think this will end hear, due to BREXIT we have seen the pound weaken and I think it still has further to go, could we see a Cali casting £100k by 2025?

I wonder when people will draw then line and we will see sales come to a standstill ?

It's becoming Monopoly money I think.

It's not just Californias, look at the price of Range Rovers and the like. Maybe a lot of people just think in terms of how much the monthly payments are, if they can afford that they go for it. If you have saved the money and have go down to the bank to draw it out you think twice!

....when VW stops building them , still they would sell as 2nd hands....so "never" is my final answer .
In what way are you hoping to get wiser in the answers that will come afther your Question?

It's becoming Monopoly money I think.

It's not just Californias, look at the price of Range Rovers and the like. Maybe a lot of people just think in terms of how much the monthly payments are, if they can afford that they go for it. If you have saved the money and have go down to the bank to draw it out you think twice!

I've just found out that my savings will earn 0.25% from December the first. My kindly illustrated this by telling me that if I saved £1,000 I would end up with a MASSIVE £1,002.50 at the end of the year. Certainly got me thinking, and my money's about to be invested in a California. I can guarantee that I will get more than £2.50's worth of enjoyment from it over 12 months :):):):):):):)

due to BREXIT we have seen the pound weaken and I think it still has further to go, could we see a Cali casting £100k by 2025?
But won't like everybody have 100k pounds a year salary after Brexit? :D
When all the cheap polish labour left the country..

Anyone who buys a vehicle on a dealership finance scheme, must be crazy.
Much better to save and buy out-right or at least save half the value of the purchase and get a personal loan for the remainder.
Never bought a vehicle on dealership finance and never will, it's far to expensive

I've just found out that my savings will earn 0.25% from December the first. My kindly illustrated this by telling me that if I saved £1,000 I would end up with a MASSIVE £1,002.50 at the end of the year. Certainly got me thinking, and my money's about to be invested in a California. I can guarantee that I will get more than £2.50's worth of enjoyment from it over 12 months :):):):):):):)
And with the way their prices are rising your Cali could end up being worth more after twelve months than you paid for it.

Demand still seems to be higher than supply, so I imagine they have plenty of wiggle room yet.

When we purchased our new SE last year our intention was to keep it until just before the warrantee expires in 2018 and then replace it. However with the many likely price rises and VED changes between now and our point of change, we are now almost certain to keep our Cali until it crumbles to dust or we do, which ever comes first.

Anyone changing from a T5 to an equivalent new Ocean in future will not gain very much but are likely to pay very dearly for the upgrade. On the other hand, unless you are very unlucky, the money difference to upgrade will buy you years of servicing and repairs. Also keeping the T5 is undoubtedly much greener as well.

However, IMO if the prices steeply rise the likelihood is that demand will at some point start to fall off and then the bigger discounts and inducements will return. Until then, what ever Cali you currently own is likely to hold its value like no other modern vehicle.

The only thing that really tempts me about the T6 is the Euro 6 engine specifically adblu, environmental aspects. I suspect as governments hammer diesels we may even see products to retrofit adblu exhaust systems to older vehicles. Although I'm probably just weird for thinking about that at all.

I planned to keep my Cali for 5 years, but must adimt I had started to consider trading up after 3. The price changes have made my mind up for me, I won't be updating anytime soon.

If this is caused by the exchange rates etc. I would assume that this will eventually have a knock on effect to all VAG and therefore most European models? Which manufacturers still build in the UK I know of Nissan but there are still others?

If this is caused by the exchange rates etc. I would assume that this will eventually have a knock on effect to all VAG and therefore most European models? Which manufacturers still build in the UK I know of Nissan but there are still others?

Jaguar Land Rover.
Buy British support our economy. French cars are rubbish, but they buy there own cars and support French workers.
I may have to consider this going forward and my future purchases

Morgan. British owned and built.

But if you think VAG have quality control problems ... anything goes wrong with a Mog (and it will), the response is usually "It's a Morgan, sir". :D

Buy British support our economy.
Isn't the Vivaro/Trafic built at Dagenham. Maybe we should switch to them (don't like the new American style huge grille though ...)

Would be a great luck most of such developments will stay in UK after the brexit.
UK should be a cheap place to build and export from, tariffs or not. The drop in sterling is effectively a tariff on incoming goods.

I personally think the pound will rise though, once the uncertainty ends.

Uh oh. this looks like we could be going through the looking glass again !

Love it. We'll written and 100% true

Morgan. British owned and built.

But if you think VAG have quality control problems ... anything goes wrong with a Mog (and it will), the response is usually "It's a Morgan, sir". :D

Oh how very true that is, it infuriated me when I got mine, they never were able to solve the wet knees problem when it rained.

Yea both are owned by Indian company. Would be a great luck most of such developments will stay in UK after the brexit. :D

Yep Indian owned. But here in Warwickshire, we have lots of people employed by them. I dare say they are the regions biggest employer

I've just found out that my savings will earn 0.25% from December the first

Now is not a good time to have savings, especially with inflation set to rise to 4%. It is difficult to know where to park cash for the medium term. Property, especially in the south east, is looking over-valued. The stock market, which had been rising steadily since the Brexit vote, has started to fall. For those who have debt, now is a good time to start paying it down with surplus income.

Anyone who buys a vehicle on a dealership finance scheme, must be crazy.
Much better to save and buy out-right or at least save half the value of the purchase and get a personal loan for the remainder.
Never bought a vehicle on dealership finance and never will, it's far to expensive
I am crazy. I am buying a Beach on a VW finance deal. It's the only way we could afford to get one and still have the children at home to enjoy it with us! We saved up £10000 (which took a fair while and was very hard when we don't have much left at the end of the month).
Would love to be rich enough to buy outright or afford loan payments on the whole amount but I'm not. Of course it's cheaper to pay upfront or have a loan with a lower rate but sometimes it is the monthly payment that is king.