Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which is the best base to convert

K

Kanga

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi lucky ones . Very happy to beginning the journey towards our family camper . We can’t go the whole way in one and bag a Cali so we’re going for a base van and then slowly bringing it up to shape ! My question for all u experienced Cali owners . Would u go for a t5.1 102bhp mapped to 130 with 29k 2015 .Barn Doors .2.8t(£17k)
Or t5.1 140bhp 6speed 88k 2014 .Tailgate 3t. (£18.5k)
In my usual ‘car’ world that’s a lot of miles. But that gear box/ride is definitely firmer and smoother feeling

Thnkuuu So Much really don’t know enough to make good decisions!!

Are you going for a full camper or a beach style?

Hard to choose between those vans

Thanks man ! I know ! Beach style , keep light as poss but sleep anywhere vibe

Nice to have the tailgate for a camper, cooking underneath etc, but I would premfer less miles if you can find one. Good luck and look forward to reading what you decide.

:welcome

Agree if you want the chairs in the rear too the tailgate is a must.

I have a 114and it’s a little sluggish between 40 and 50 but it’s generally been great once mapped is apparently very little difference with the 140 (I think).

I’d be tempted by the lower mileage but ultimately you may have things that have bigger weight for you than me.

Best base vehicle - LWB T4, T5 or T6 Kombi, add an elevating roof or a high-top and whatever other fittings you need. Remember the minimum fittings to get it registered as a 'Motor Home' with the DVLA. Having Motor Home on the V5C makes insurance cheaper and enhances the resale value.

BHP minimum I would suggest is 102bhp for a T4 or 140bhp for a T5 or T6.

The 140bhp gets the 6 speed gearbox.
Worth thinking about to.

Morning all. I would dearly love a 'Cali Beach but costs and just one side door rule it out. If I had time to do it I would've gone for a conversion on either a SWB or LWB T5.1 or T6. I opted for a T5 Caravelle due to the various seating configurations that it offered. As it stands I'm thinking of adding a pop-top to it and then seeing how it goes. Just my thoughts.
BTW, love the Site. :)

This ones got Beach/Ocean writ all over it.

INCOMING !!!

Combi van in Highline spec, preferably a T32 for the grosse weight, conversion beds and roof weigh quite a bit. May be hard to source as apparently an in demand spec second hand.
Always get high spec as it can cost more than budgeted to add upgrades later.

I trust you've done a really deep analysis of whether you'll be actually saving money going this route? Add the cost of a good roof, electrical systems, seating and beds might bring you close to the cost of a Beach, and even when you've done all that you'll have an asset worth considerably less than a Beach.
I understand not everyone can shell out for a Cali, but borrowing the shortfall might be much more financially astute than building your own and then losing a chunk of money at resale. Plus you can be using it the day after you buy it.
Sometimes specific needs dictate a Cali is out of the question (need for 2 sliding doors etc) but if you are after something like a Beach, I'd seriously see if there is a way to stretch and get one from the start.
If you buy the 4 seater Beach, you can always fit Maxxcamp units down the side at a later date to make it effectively an Ocean.

Last edited:
The thing is we feel we’re in the clouds just buying the base, get the base right and then add as the years go by. No question that if the funds are there enjoy the moment bye the whole deal ! Quick ! In our case we’re so exited to b on the journey !Well almost on the journey!Lots of people saying they for forever , 88k miles nothing etc ... for real

My first point would be this.
Modern Volkswagens aren’t reliable. They don’t build them like they used to and when they do go wrong. They cost a lot of money to put right.

Don’t listen to people who say things like, it’s barely broken in at 88k.
That’s nonsense.
Parts wear and things get tired.

Morning all. I would dearly love a 'Cali Beach but costs and just one side door rule it out. If I had time to do it I would've gone for a conversion on either a SWB or LWB T5.1 or T6. I opted for a T5 Caravelle due to the various seating configurations that it offered. As it stands I'm thinking of adding a pop-top to it and then seeing how it goes. Just my thoughts.
BTW, love the Site. :)

The fellow at Slidepods has/had exactly that - a converted Caravelle LWB with a pop up roof. Was excellent - I had a good look round at busfest a few yrs ago

I trust you've done a really deep analysis of whether you'll be actually saving money going this route? Add the cost of a good roof, electrical systems, seating and beds might bring you close to the cost of a Beach, and even when you've done all that you'll have an asset worth considerably less than a Beach.
I understand not everyone can shell out for a Cali, but borrowing the shortfall might be much more financially astute than building your own and then losing a chunk of money at resale. Plus you can be using it the day after you buy it.
Sometimes specific needs dictate a Cali is out of the question (need for 2 sliding doors etc) but if you are after something like a Beach, I'd seriously see if there is a way to stretch and get one from the start.
If you buy the 4 seater Beach, you can always fit Maxxcamp units down the side at a later date to make it effectively an Ocean.

I agree -- couldn't make the maths work to make a conversion substantially cheaper than a Beach, although there are some pretty cool conversions out there which were attractive -- very happy with my beach now.

The thing is we feel we’re in the clouds just buying the base, get the base right and then add as the years go by. No question that if the funds are there enjoy the moment bye the whole deal ! Quick ! In our case we’re so exited to b on the journey !Well almost on the journey!Lots of people saying they for forever , 88k miles nothing etc ... for real
I understand but if funds are tight, you need to be super smart.
Say you spend £18k on a base empty van. A Reimo or good SCA roof is £4.5k (these are guesses I’m a little out of touch). A Reimo 333 bed is £5k, so you are already at the price of the beach and you’ve still got a bare metal van that you’d take a big loss on if you have to sell it.
I know you can fit a £2k roof and a £1k bed which might be a valid route but I wouldn’t want either.
I’m seeing personal loan rates around 3% which is close to free. Borrowing at 3% and buying the Beach would be a more financially astute gamble than the diy route.
Edit: I feel odd recommending someone blow close to £30k on a vehicle when money is tight, but you’ve indicated that is what you are already planning to do, just by another route and over time.
I’ll leave this alone now. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:
try M R BLOOR & Co LTD. 0151 356 7451 insurance brokers. They slashed my old car cover from over £400 to £103 and they show Motorhomes as what they cover. Worth a try.

Another factor to consider when looking for a base/conversion with a family in mind - the air con. Standard air con is cab-only, and there is an option ("climatronic 3 zone air con") to extend it to the rear passenger area.

From what i gather, full-van climatronic when ordered on a non-california is routed through the roof, and has to be ripped out when fitting a pop-top. A factory-built camper like the California has this quirk solved already.

I'm not trying to tell you that you need the climatronic, but as you mention its going to be a family camper, it's worth knowing about. It would be rather annoying to have it on the shopping list for your base vehicle only to loose it when the pop-tops fitted.

I'm also happy to be corrected by the more knowledgeable folk here, I'm going on what I was told last year by converters when exploring the base/conversion route myself.

Another factor to consider when looking for a base/conversion with a family in mind - the air con. Standard air con is cab-only, and there is an option ("climatronic 3 zone air con") to extend it to the rear passenger area.

From what i gather, full-van climatronic when ordered on a non-california is routed through the roof, and has to be ripped out when fitting a pop-top. A factory-built camper like the California has this quirk solved already.

I'm not trying to tell you that you need the climatronic, but as you mention its going to be a family camper, it's worth knowing about. It would be rather annoying to have it on the shopping list for your base vehicle only to loose it when the pop-tops fitted.

I'm also happy to be corrected by the more knowledgeable folk here, I'm going on what I was told last year by converters when exploring the base/conversion route myself.
No other van based campers have the same type of rear heating/AC as the California or Marco Polo, converting a Caravel or similar will require a lot of modifications to ensure the same effect.

I understand but if funds are tight, you need to be super smart.
Say you spend £18k on a base empty van. A Reimo or good SCA roof is £4.5k (these are guesses I’m a little out of touch). A Reimo 333 bed is £5k, so you are already at the price of the beach and you’ve still got a bare metal van that you’d take a big loss on if you have to sell it.
I know you can fit a £2k roof and a £1k bed which might be a valid route but I wouldn’t want either.
I’m seeing personal loan rates around 3% which is close to free. Borrowing at 3% and buying the Beach would be a more financially astute gamble than the diy route.
Edit: I feel odd recommending someone blow close to £30k on a vehicle when money is tight, but you’ve indicated that is what you are already planning to do, just by another route and over time.
I’ll leave this alone now. Good luck with whatever you decide.

What your saying makes total sense,and good advice

Back