Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

which one to buy

P

peterpattinson

Hello experts, :help we have decided that we need one, so now we would appreciate some advice on these options.
We want to buy a new SE with 4 motion, but carnt decide between the 140 or the 180ps. Would apprciate any positive or negative feedback on these especially from anyone who owns one, and would the diff-lock option be worth considering.
What do you guys suggest about options such as privacy glass and parking sensors.
Thanking you in advance.
Peter

Hello and Welcome.

I'm in the 180 camp but many have 140's and love them. For me with the weight of a standard van there is enough to justify the 180, add in the extra power to be sapped from the 4Mo and for me it's a done deal.

Depending on your location and of course the speed at which you wish to make a purchase we have our Cali's on the Farm meeting 10-12th May 13 which will almost certainly be the largest meeting of California ever seen in the UK and you'd not get a better feel for which options and colours would interest you.

Also on hand there will be our sponsors, SMG of Cowfold, whom offer competitive prices to members.

Had you considered hiring a van beforehand? Oli of BMVS, again another sponsor, will be in attendance and is actually offering discounts for people wishing to rent a California and join us for the weekend. You could rent a 140 and a 180 to test the water before buying :thumb

I would also suggest Privacy and F&R Parking Sensors are a no brainer.

Hi Stu, thanks for the info and good advice. Do you find that the privacy glass makes the campervan a bit dark whilst on site during typical British weather, one dealer has suggested going for the the standard clear glass and then going for aftermarket tinting once i have used it.
Have you tried a 4-motion with or without a diff lock, and if so what are your impressions.
Thank you
Peter

Yes privacy is normally top of most peoples lists when buying a Cali, I think it will also help with resale.
Personally I have never noticed it being dark inside the Cali even in miserable weather, at the end of the day most of the time you spend in the Cali is at night anyway. The privacy makes it look nice from the outside too.

Please call and speak to Hugh in sales to talk to him about it, or you can email him directly on hventris@smguk.co.uk

Alternatively, pop up to the meet in May and talk to us then.

Cheers

If your looking at a 4-motion as people say the 180 is a better coupling for that and as your spending so much money you can't not have privacy glass for what is does compared to film on the windows .....again get diff lock ..i wouldn't buy a 4-motion without it ...it's not like a radio that can be upgraded easy later on ..

empty that wallet :doh :laugh2

I would agree with the posts above - privacy glass is absolutely essential. The van looks a lot better with it, and I think you might find it hard to sell a van without it. It defintely doesn't make the van dark at all, even in the winter gloom. Same for reversing sensors - the first time you try to squeeze out of a small space in a car park you will be grateful for them. Be careful with the options list though, as far too many things start looking as if they might be 'essential'!

I hired a 140 for the weekend (not 4wd admittedly), and then decided to buy a 180. There is not a huge difference in torque, but you have to remember that a California is a heavy lump, and once you have filled it with camping gear and the whole family it can be a bit sluggish. Testing both is the only way to be sure what suits you best. Also, we had never even camped before, so a few days in a Cali will really help you decide if it is right for you.

Simon

For me the options list would be as follows -

180PS
DSG
4Mo
Diff Lock
Cruise
Bluetooth
DAB (RNS510 DAB Retrofit once delivered)
Tow Bar Prep (if full tow bar not required)
Driver Pack
Camping Pack
Xenon Headlights
Climatronic
Safe Box

I would also add music interface if it's not standard but its not clear in the brochure.

My only slight reservation is the 5th seat not being available with 4Mo - Tough choice though, it's open for debate.

Stu said:

180PS
DSG
4Mo
Diff Lock
Cruise
Bluetooth
Driver Pack
Camping Pack
Xenon Headlights
Climatronic
Safe Box

I would also add music interface if it's not standard but its not clear in the brochure.

My only slight reservation is the 5th seat not being available with 4Mo - Tough choice though, it's open for debate.

That's a wallet burner spec Cali stu :) lol

choplee said:
Stu said:

180PS
DSG
4Mo
Diff Lock
Cruise
Bluetooth
Driver Pack
Camping Pack
Xenon Headlights
Climatronic
Safe Box

Yep it's always been my downfall with new motors. The A4 was fully loaded, the new rollerskate (A1) is going to have one or two toys too. :mrgreen:

Stu said:
choplee said:
Stu said:

180PS
DSG
4Mo
Diff Lock
Cruise
Bluetooth
Driver Pack
Camping Pack
Xenon Headlights
Climatronic
Safe Box

Yep it's always been my downfall with new motors. The A4 was fully loaded, the new rollerskate (A1) is going to have one or two toys too. :mrgreen:

I have to say I agree with Stu on that list if I was buying a 4mo. You only one go so do it rite !
Oh & you forgot the parking sensors, or are they standard now ?

Priv glass, flaps and parking sensors a must. I like the climate control. lane change I would not have specced but i do like it and it was there, Vis packs are nice, like the light washers and warning about levels. Cruise yes and it came with lane change. Self dimming mirror waste of time but comes with lane change. Tow bar if there is any possibility of using one, it's mega bucks later.

Oh and 140 is fine, cheaper to insure and no issues towing our double dingy trailer! Drive slow and chill!

choplee said:
Stu said:

180PS
DSG
4Mo
Diff Lock
Cruise
Bluetooth
Driver Pack
Camping Pack
Xenon Headlights
Climatronic
Safe Box

Nah. Needs 18s, alcantara, and reversing camera :laugh2

:help

Re: which one to buy (now bought)

Hello experts, thanks for the good advice and the help with making the financial plunge into the options section.
Poppy, the Salsa red, 180ps,bluemotion, 4 motion with diff lock, privacy glass, front + rear mudflaps, detachable tow bar, awning, front & rear park assist, blue tooth, tyre pressure warning, safe box, along with: front window reflectors, roof bars, tailgate bike rack and rear bumper protector is now on order.
The cheque book was out nearly three weeks ago and we are still waiting for an approximate delivery date, is this normal. I have contacted the dealer, I have also contacted VW UK who would not tell me anything other than go back to your dealer(full circle). I have just found out that the sales guy I have been dealing with has left suddenly. Would appreciate any advice.
Thanks again, hope to meet up after delivery.

It isn't unusual to have a long lead time and/or not get a confirmed delivery date until very near the day...

Nice spec ...big cheque ,so i can see your concerned ..There can be a long lead time etc,but they will now your build week ,so estimate delivery as well.....Can you not take a trip to the dealership to sort this out ... you are spending a massive amount of money and if your not getting anywhere then it's not going to cost much to see whats going on with your order...

sounds like another under performing vw dealership .... :doh

Cool, that will be one gorgeous van.. I have a soft spot for red ones.. I would've chosen red if I was buying from new too.

:goodone

Btw, if you are not getting good feelings from the garage, then go to a different one and order there instead. I've been to a few and been unimpressed by too many. I'd recommend Listers in Coventry from my experiences. Not close, but with the 140mile round trip to get peace of mind with such an important order. I'm sure others could recommend other dealers too.
(Go with your gut, based on interactions. Every interaction should leave you impressed)

Back