Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

which towing mirrors?

cassieb0

cassieb0

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
HI All. Recently purchased a lunar caravan which I will tow with "Rosie" my wonderful little Cali 140 2014. Which she pulled with ease from the dealer (50 mls), however I found her wing mirrors did not stand out enough to afford a good/legal? view rearwards. So, which towing mirrors would overcome this problem?
Can anyone help?

I'm surprised you feel you need towing mirrors, I tow a Bailey which is 2.19m wide. Having checked it, I have legal rearward vision and am so pleased not to have to use tow mirrors which I have to use when towing with the car. Do you have one of the wider generation caravans that we now have?

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad you feel comfortable with what you see behind you. what I have is a Lunar that is 2.275m wide, the door mirrors(outside edge to edge) on the Cali 2.283m. Driving up the M6 in atrocious weather may have restricted my view more than I thought, it never stopped from dealer to home.
Its raining still off and on, and I have NO intentions of connecting the outfit together to see how restricted the rear view is(if at all), BUT 4mm either side MMMM!!!. I,ll keep you posted at some future date.
Thanks again for the reply.

It is interesting how much so little makes a difference. I also drove from Newcastle across to Carlise and then down the M6 to the Thelwall Viaduct last Friday night in rain I wouldn't put a cat out, I don't have or want a cat.
It was atrocious but at all times I could see right down the side of my caravan including the protrusions of the locker surrounds. I have done over 6000 miles towing with our Cali, all logged (sad like that), and have never felt uncomfortable with review vision and in fact felt more aware than when towing in my wife's car with mirror extensions. Check it out in better weather but I think your van is possibly just too wide for comfort.
Lifes a bitch!

I bought two "Suck it and See" mirrors for about £35 from Amazon recently to see around my race transporter and they fared very well. I was skeptical at first as they looked a bit gimmicky but actually they stayed in place and as you adjust using the normal electric feature were easy to get a good view. They also come complete with tether cords which ensure that in the event they lose their "suck" they won't get lost and supply a handy storage bag - so far so good.....

Hi - I’m looking to tow a 2.1m caravan behind a Cali T5 - I think the strict law says I do need towing mirrors? If so, can anyone recommend a pair that will fit well and not damage the Cali mirrors? Any experiences of the “suck it and see” mirrors? Thanks all.