Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which tractor?

MrSheen

MrSheen

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Possibly off topic but a I am looking for a a tractor for doing a bit of small hay baling, we have around 5 acres.
looking for something cheap but relaible.

Thanks

Hay baling needs big machinery and 5 acres is a small plot. Can't you do a deal with a local farmer?

I used a John Deere Gator to manage most of my jobs and when big stuff was needed I whistled in the neighbour.

Thank you, we did approach the local farmer but have not heard back, we need the tractor for other tasks aswell mainly topping as the ground is not good enough for the ride-on. I have been offered a nice Massey 699 with quite a few implements.

For basic topping and bailing I'd probably go for something a bit simpler, a MF 135 maybe, dozens around and a lot have been fully restored. A little grey Fergie could do the topping easily as well as towing, ploughing and going to the pub, not sure about bailing tho. If you go for the 699 have a good look at the cab, I seem to remember they were very prone to rot. We really don't need another thread about roof rot on this forum !!
I'm in Bedfordshire and could put you in touch with a guy who could probably source what you need.

I had a similar issue but with a bit more acreage, I went down the JD mid size compact tractor route as it can also take a 72” mower deck for the lawns plus loader, topper etc. However I took the farmer option when it came to bailing as it cost peanuts compared to buying the kit.

With hindsight if I didn’t use the mower and loader a lot then I wouldn’t have bought it or all of the other kit. It’s a lot of money to tie up when compared to occasionally getting a farmer/contractor in.

If you are set on getting something then I think the MF 135 suggestion is a good one. Don’t forget to consider the security side of things, as all of the above are a magnet for thieves. Hope you have fun either way.

I make hay from a wildflower meadow which is getting on for 10 acres. Most of the work can be done with a small tractor (I have a 26hp Kubota). I use a cute little Star mini baler, and a gyro rake for spreading and rowing up - both delightful bits of smallholder kit. However I find that mowing (with a drum mower) needs a much heftier tractor - for power and weight balance. I use a mid size Kubota M6040 for that job. All told it is financially bonkers so I have classed it as an enjoyable hobby!

Possibly off topic but a I am looking for a a tractor for doing a bit of small hay baling, we have around 5 acres.
looking for something cheap but relaible.

Thanks
Was going to suggest a Cali 4motion but you want something .... reliable :D

..... only joking of course they are reliable (touch wood) mostly anyway.