Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why do my alloys get so filthy so quickly?

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
I am not one of those who spends 4 hours cleaning alloy wheels (yes I have friends who do that!) but whenever I do wash the bus, the alloys are filthy (with brake dust?) again a few days later....they are nothing special just the standard Cali ones but are a pig to keep clean...I just wondered if this was usual and if everyone else cleans theirs weekly ....
David

I certainly not clean the Cali weekly ....more once afther every longer trip.
For me not find it a point or not find it more than on my other cars ever owend.
Is it a new verhicle , becouse from new the breakdust on wheels is more .

When I was a youngster, we used to buy TUV approved black rubber (and steel) shields that fitted between the hub and the inside of the alloy, which stopped the brake dust getting to the alloy. There was obviously some loss of cooling to the disc, which is why the TUV approval was important. Don't know if such things are available now?

Try Poorboys wheel sealant. Quite expensive but puts a much better coating on the wheels than normal polish and wax. Brake dust still accumulates but a doddle to wash off and the shine stays for longer.

The muck is a mixture of dust off the brake pads, metal dust that the brake pads have worn off the brake discs and the layer of rust that forms onto the surface of the steel disc every time the vehicle isn't used for a few hours.

I'll try that Poorboys tip ...and have to break the habit of a lifetime and clean weekly then!:D

I coat my wheels with Gtechnic C5 it comes in a very small bottle with eye makeup wipes to apply it with. It seals the wheels once and makes them easy to wash off in future.

Not just new vehicles. After 32,000 miles still get it. At least it shows the brakes are working. Different make pads may help but may alter the braking efficiency. Cleans off easily enough. No special treatment.

Sticker on the back: I don't brake...

Luckily there is no asbestos in the brakepads anymore. Cleaning the rims is no life threat because of that.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk