Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So why do my wheel nut covers turn white?

Bramco

Bramco

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I mean I know why - it's the chemicals in the alloy cleaner they spray on the wheels.

Happened once at the dealer who replaced the covers after much grumpiness.

Came bask from a long trip - van filthy - thought I'd take it to a local car wash - same again - happily I'd taken a photo of it in it's filthy state, so had some evidence.

But why do the VW nut covers perform so badly - or is it that the car wash folk are using the chemicals wrongly?

Acid wheel cleaner, avoid it like the plague, your wheels will be next !

I use Bilberry wheel cleaner and my nuts are as black as your hat.

Muck off, biodegradable £22 per 5l from Halfords its pink use to use it on my motocross bikes.

It also rots your brake disks and strips the heat resistant paint off the callipers. If you insist on using the manned car washes then always ask for NO ACID. They will the. Clean with elbow grease.

What wheel nut covers do you have? The 5 single black nut covers or the 5 finger that covers both the nuts and the wheel hub?
If those single black covers turn white, it must be white paint.
If you mean the wheel hub covers, that are chromed plastic, than it is certainly from too aggressive products.

I mean I know why - it's the chemicals in the alloy cleaner they spray on the wheels.

Happened once at the dealer who replaced the covers after much grumpiness.

Came bask from a long trip - van filthy - thought I'd take it to a local car wash - same again - happily I'd taken a photo of it in it's filthy state, so had some evidence.

But why do the VW nut covers perform so badly - or is it that the car wash folk are using the chemicals wrongly?
I’d blame those Serbians :)

"SO WHY DO MY WHEEL NUT COVERS TURN WHITE?"

Perhaps you're scaring them!