Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wild Camping spots in North Devon

Martin

Martin

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just in case anyone is not aware, my local council ( Torridge District Council ) offer wildish camping in several of their car parks.

Car parks included are:

Riverbank - Bideford. EX39 2QS
Westward Ho! (Main) Car Park, EX39 1LG
The Manor Car Park, Holsworthy, EX22 6DJ
Sydney House Car Park, Torrington, EX38 8AA
Churchfields Car Park, Appledore, EX39 1RL

Torridge Website Link

All of the car parks have toliets and they charge just £5 for overnight camping ( I think 6pm - 8am) , my personal favourite on the list is Appledore (image below) where you can park right next to the water on the quay and wake up to some great views over to Instow plus several good pubs and restaurants within a few minutes walk.

appledore.jpg

Last edited:
Just incase anyone is not aware, my local council ( Torridge District Council ) offer legal wildish camping in several of their car parks.

Car parks included are:

Riverbank - Bideford. EX39 2QS
Westward Ho! (Main) Car Park, EX39 1LG
The Manor Car Park, Holsworthy, EX22 6DJ
Sydney House Car Park, Torrington, EX38 8AA
Churchfields Car Park, Appledore, EX39 1RL

All of the car parks have toliets and they charge just a fiver for overnight camping ( I think 6pm - 8am) , my personal favourite on the list is Appledore where you can park right next to the water and wake up to some great views plus several good pubs and restaurants within a few minutes walk.

View attachment 2731
Good news. Anyone else tried these at peak times? I guess the ideal is 1 or 2 other vans around with safe non-threatening looking people in them... perhaps wearing glasses?

I have never seen them too busy, the most popular is possibly Appledore where in peak summer you may see 3 or 4 campervans or motorhomes parked up for the night. Plenty of room to get a waterside space.

Great fish and chip shop a few minutes walk away.

Last edited:
Wow, great link, this was within Martins one

So many places I Think I will be off to Powys or Devon this week end
http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/uk-motorhome-stopovers.shtml

I am a bit worried , I seem to be logging onto the forum every morning now.
My daughter reached over at breakfast, closed my lap top , and said "naughty boy"

Last edited by a moderator:
Stopped here last night and had lovely fish and chips and then a walk along quay before bed. Felt very safe as there was also two other campervans and a few motorhomes here as well but we all had loads of space and woke up to spectacular sea view.

Does anyone know if you can park up overnight in the big car park in Instow, think it's called Sandhills. Or anywhere else in Instow we could park for a night. Don't seem to be any campsites in the vicinity! Thanks

Right across the river, Appledore, is a public carpark that allows overnight parking and two minute walk from the Instow foot ferry.

Right across the river, Appledore, is a public carpark that allows overnight parking and two minute walk from the Instow foot ferry.
Thanks very much but do you happen to know if we could get the foot ferry later in the evening? Will be leaving dogs in the van while we have dinner so closer the better. I'll google the ferry now and see. Thanks again

Thanks very much but do you happen to know if we could get the foot ferry later in the evening? Will be leaving dogs in the van while we have dinner so closer the better. I'll google the ferry now and see. Thanks again
Looks like the ferry stops quite early in September

Looks like the ferry stops quite early in September

That's a shame. The only other place I know close to Instow is the Riverbank car park at Bideford. That is further away but by the Taw bridge and may be worth asking how much a taxi would be.

That's a shame. The only other place I know close to Instow is the Riverbank car park at Bideford. That is further away but by the Taw bridge and may be worth asking how much a taxi would be.
Ok, thanks very much though I think the big car park in Instow itself allows overnight parking, although not sure whether you're technically allowed to sleep there! Just wanted to try to make sure before we pitch up or in case anyone knows of any nicer/cheaper spots and have read some reviews of the
militant parking fines there! Thanks again

Ok, thanks very much though I think the big car park in Instow itself allows overnight parking, although not sure whether you're technically allowed to sleep there! Just wanted to try to make sure before we pitch up or in case anyone knows of any nicer/cheaper spots and have read some reviews of the
militant parking fines there! Thanks again

How did you get on at Instow in the end?

Walking the dogs this morning we noticed quite a few campers now using the camping area of the car park in Bideford with great views over the river, still only £5 to camp overnight.
d5d0049764fcd4a507897dd7624dc8a7.jpg
fcff23f992a078956516bb4969b652e0.jpg

More like a campsite now than a car park, 23 campers here, most I have ever seen, no Cali's though

98d84d012c3eabf9561865ac7738e39a.jpg
882a028e6568313ca97c002b81f63584.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Martin. Numbers have been steadily rising in the last couple of weeks. I see the occasional Cali but none with club stickers.
I’ve never heard a negative word about those using the facility or seen any mess. Very public location and well respected by the users.

Mike

I wish there were many more.

It’s a council car park right on the estuary where you can park up overnight for a fiver with no issues.
Not wild camping but a stop over location and an excellent facility.

A view from the car park.

4a0ce545773ffadb15a8550041c8af37.png

Mike

We have stayed there previously but this has put us off, even at £5 per night that last OKs horrendous

Thats because of people not paying, which the headline doesnt convey. I am guessing because they don't enforce it some folks don't bother paying.

Back