Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Will a roof topper reduce noise in high wind?

CDinFrance

CDinFrance

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We were away the last few days, camped in a beautiful spot, but there was high wind, so we left the top down and slept downstairs. It was not for the cold, but previously when sleeping upstairs in gusty winds, we have found the noise to be too strong (canvas clacking on the scissor mechanism)

Would a roof topper fix this problem, or be just as noisy? Are some toppers quieter than others?

If its that windy I would say an external topper would be just as noisy, possibly worse as its a fairly loose fit so there's more canvas to flap.

A topper does stop the van roof canvas from flapping excessively against the struts, but it is loose around the bottom where it is down held by elastic straps. Light to medium wind is not an issue with noise, if the wind is high, then it is noisy. But then so is the wind by this stage too.

The other issue when the wind is up is that, as the bottom edge flaps, it can rub on the paintwork of the roof leaving small scratches in the surface of the paint. These are potentially down the length of the roof on the windward side and will polish out with a professional machine.

If the wind is that high, then pulling to roof down is the safest thing to do. Reducing the windage will also reduce the van rocking on the suspension uncomfortably.

Alan

Thanks, very helpful. Only asking as two other Cali’s in the site had toppers on. Quite true about the rocking. The second night we left the top up, but lowered the roof bed etc. And slept downstairs. Gusts were noticeably moving the van, whereas the prevoius night we had almost no movement. It was actually our first time sleeping downstairs, and we found it quite comfortable. For logistic reasons, we prefer to sleep upstairs though.

Especially if you are fully loaded - agree.
It’s also great to come down in the morning to a lovely tranquil tidy “sitting room”. Also great if one person’s got up earlier and wants to relax, make a cuppa in the van, etc. So far in our van we’ve slept once downstairs (because it was raining and we didn’t hav e a topper, and once upstairs after getting a Cali-topper. Both were really comfortable, but then we love a hard bed.

A lot of people have purchased the rainbow screens padded panels that just go all around the canvas (not over the roof), but they take up much more space. The bonus is that they go under the metal scissors, so no flapping, but if it’s raining they’ll get wet. There’s also a 6 week wait for them at the moment due to high demand.

The only thing that’ll be a pain for us is having to remove the protection to lower the roof every time we go off if we’re not on a very secure site. Any thoughts on that would be welcome.

A topper is most usefull in rainy or moist weather, and cold. Much wind will indeed cause extra noise.
I prefer "topless", but it comes in handy in less ideal weather.

Most of the flapping come from the windows. Also seemed to me like it is a fabric on the struts. But I figured putting something between the window mesh and closing fabric removed that annoying noise.

I guess it also depends on which brand of topper you have.

I guess it also depends on which brand of topper you have.
I don’t think there can be any major differences between the topper “anorak” style as they all work on the same principle. But the wrap around type are definitely different. There are pros and cons for both.

And the way how the topper is fixed. Mine slides in the left rail back to front, velcro strips slide on the right side (a bit hard with the awning) and is then fixed with elastic ropes on the front and the back. foto (42).JPG foto (74).JPG

Yes thats a cool one from Thais, Spanish developer.
Got it as well, didn't use even once though. Might just sell it ;)

Well, it comes in pretty handy if you are on your way out to the south of France, and stop overnight in moist weather. In the morning your Cali tent is dry and can close it without needing to dry it later on. You just put on the topper again where it is dry at night and the next morning the topper can return in its bag.

Yep, Thais is about 1/3 of the price of Brandrup, and much easier to put on.
I am thinking of getting the inner insulation too, but I don't know yet.

I have a calitopper from the shop. Only used it twice so far, but impressed.

1/ sleeping on our drive to test it out and it was pouring with rain and really windy putting it on and taking it off. 2 of us putting it on (pretty easy) I took it off by myself and it was pretty easy too.

2/ overnight on a site (after the Cali shop meet in Bolsover). No rain and only a breeze. Went on and off easily. Also easily packed neatly in to the bag and stowed in the door compartment with the chairs. The ability for it to pack very small is important for us.

Will be using it again soon on a 4 night trip.

It's just as noisy in high winds but at least you can open a window in the roof.
The disadvantage is, if you wake up in the night & find it's become extremely windy & you really need to get the roof down before it gets ripped off by the next gust (which we thought was about to happen in a very windy Skye last May), it's more difficult with the topper on!