Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

full roof or roofless cali-topper - silly question?

Trollhunter

Trollhunter

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi,
This maybe a couple of obvious questions for you experienced folks, but after scrawling through past threads about Cali-toppers I can't seem to find a clear answer.
I see that the roofless topper fits in the seat storage in the rear door, but does the full roof version also fit there?
Also if you have the roofless version on a rainy day, does water not run down the roof and in below the topper accumulating on the underside in contact with the canvas? Or is it a pretty tight fit on top of the roof?

Cheers,
Magnus

Hi,
This maybe a couple of obvious questions for you experienced folks, but after scrawling through past threads about Cali-toppers I can't seem to find a clear answer.
I see that the roofless topper fits in the seat storage in the rear door, but does the full roof version also fit there?
Also if you have the roofless version on a rainy day, does water not run down the roof and in below the topper accumulating on the underside in contact with the canvas? Or is it a pretty tight fit on top of the roof?

Cheers,
Magnus
The Full Comfortz Topper fits in between 1 seat in the tailgate.

if your going to fit solar panel or roof bars get the roofless one. if not get the full one as the roofless one is fiddly to fit. but no it doesnt leak water in .

I have the calicap.de one and you can squeeze it into a seat.
I would imagine that the rain would run down the underside of
the back edge on the roofless one but i think the aim of it is stopping
the driving rain hitting the front and sides.

I have the calicap.de one and you can squeeze it into a seat.
I would imagine that the rain would run down the underside of
the back edge on the roofless one but i think the aim of it is stopping
the driving rain hitting the front and sides.
it's designed for the rain to run through it. with drain holes in the back. water sort of goes under the obvious bit then drops over a flap and out the drain holes

At the rear of the roofless topper there are two flaps. The functional flap Velcros under the roof to protect the canvass. The second flap is mainly cosmetic and goes over the back of the raised roof. Rain water flows between the two flaps.

It is a clever design which is hard to explain.

I think there is a third option for those with solar panels- a window in the roof. However, I think that the roofless topper is easier to fit solo.

It had or did have a minor design flaw. The seams are or were not taped meaning that water got into the seams resulting in long sausages of water filled seams. I solved that by cutting small drainage holes in the seams, and I expect new toppers either come with the drainage holes or have the seams taped.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Toppers? Seriously?
You guys crack me up...
:Iamsorry

Toppers? Seriously?
You guys crack me up...
:Iamsorry
For those who don’t have Off Street Parking then I can see it being a useful aid.

I have one for winter use when Severe Rain storms or snow expected or a prolonged spell of wet or stormy weather when drying the canvas might be problematic.