Wind-out awning options

C

CB55

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi,
A few rookie questions!

I would like to add a wind-out awning. Having read up on it, it would appear the fitting depends on the type of rail you may have installed? I took a picture today of my rail, which looks more like a rain gutter!
IMG_9363.JPG

Any recommendations for an awning - I'm guessing the Fiamma F45S or the Thule Omnistor 4200? Would they attach to this rail with a fitting or would I need something else?

Does having a wind-out awning restrict you with having a drive away awning? Is there anything to consider there?

TIA
Chris

thule omnistor is generally fitted to calis. lift up your roof and get some steps. you will see 6 bolt holes already there to bolt the awning brackets into. the awning does not hang on that 'rain gutter'.

Either will fit, either company do specific VW California Bracket Kits.
VW fit the Thule 5102 which is specifically made for the VW Transporter/California.
Fiamma do a specific one also from the F45s range, just be careful when ordering because the end that has the winder attached is better at the rear and this changed depending on the side that your entrance is on.
Dometic do similar awnings now as well

If it’s affordable I’d opt for the Thule. Friends have a Fiamma and by their own reckoning it’s not as robust as the Thule (so they hardly ever wind it out).

thule omnistor is generally fitted to calis. lift up your roof and get some steps. you will see 6 bolt holes already there to bolt the awning brackets into. the awning does not hang on that 'rain gutter'.
Thanks but this is for a T4 - isn't it different for them? I will pop the top to see.

That looks like a Reimo Multirail (if so the rail would be attached with screws+ silkaflex). We fitted them our our old T4 with a 2nd hand Fiamma F45 awning. You just need a special mounting bracket that sits on the multirail

Found some old photos that show the bracket. Think I cut the rear on down slightly so it rested on panel rather than Edge of window.

IMG_1131.png

IMG_5779.jpegIMG_5780.jpegIMG_5786.jpeg

Last edited: