Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wind out awning and drive away awning

DAVIESA1000

DAVIESA1000

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Hi. I’m a newbie and am considering a drive away awning. I have A 2019 T6 Ocean with factory wind out awning. I have seen awnings that clip into the rail on the van can this be done with the wind out awning in place? I don’t want to remove the wind out one as we use on shorter trips.

Thanks

We have had four awnings. Two with panels that fix to the wind out awning, and two driveaway awnings.

1. Comfortz awning panels
1589931162988.png
Pros: small pack size, cheap, quick to erect
Cons: small, drafty, no groundsheet, need to pack away to drive away

2. Thule residence
1589931647962.png
Pros: can be heated with the parking heater, makes full use of wind out awning size, robust
Cons: bulky, expensive, needs packing away to drive away, no groundsheet, fiddly to erect

Vango Kela III
1589932446245.png
Pros: large enough for kitchen area, dining area and storage; option to buy a bedroom; sewn in groundsheet
Cons: bulky

Vango hexaway
1589933058771.png
Pros: elegant, big windows, single inflation point, high, huge, clip-in groundsheet
Cons: bulky, clip-in groundsheet, not fully suitable for sleeping

We currently have the Vango Hexaway and Thule Residence and will continue to use the Residence for weekend camping and Hexaway for holiday camping. I do really like the Hexaway, it is so big, bright and airy, and it looks good. It has the feel of a gazebo. It fixes to the wind out awning via a channel, and can be used with the canopy fully extended, fully retracted or anything in between. Our usual setup with a driveaway is with the canopy extended, but you get more privacy with the canopy retracted.

The Residence is also a great design, but painful to set up and pack away.

Loads to choose from, and you can attach the awning to the top lip of the wind out awning using figure 8 adaptor clipped to the top casing

6FC349D0-13BF-4CA2-9839-E57C055AD076.jpeg

A6D8A283-D51A-40CF-A8CC-08D35324AAED.jpeg

Thanks I didn’t realise the figure of 8 system clipped into the awning edge thanks

I don't see these anymore on VW,...?

foxwing Foxing 270.jpg

We have an Outwell Daytona a few years old now but they do something similar now. Not too bulky. Groundsheet. Possibly more as extra day space than sleeping area but have had people sleep in it too! Traditional pole type design but believe they do an air version. Has withstood battering gales on the Dorset coast and 2 weeks in Southern Brittany. To be honest as my daughter is older now we tend to move from place to place or rather art gallery to art gallery on pretty much a daily basis but if we are to stay in blighty this year and actually get to camp then i will be taking it! Good value too!

407213D5-6D05-4465-A1E5-E7677A2BA933.png

Hi could I ask about the blue side part attached to the fiamma?
Simply a standard camping tarp attached to the frame and legs of the wind out awning with bungee balls and pegged to the ground with bungee balls

I have added a couple of extra fixing points along two edges
Similar to these : 5637BE0D-99AE-458D-A240-325EE85D42E5.png4E1EE283-97D5-4A2D-A700-5EC0874AB133.png582575FB-9131-4978-9E37-D3B444D46E1F.png

I have two that I use to close up the area between van and awning, very quick to set. Up and remove

What size drive away awning do you need for the factory fitted Cali awning is it 4 mom or 6 mm? Thanks.

What size drive away awning do you need for the factory fitted Cali awning is it 4 mom or 6 mm? Thanks.

4mm for the factory fit awning; Get the below as has both 4mm+6mm, so will also allow you attach to non roller awning side if you ever want too (see photos to get an idea):

Back