Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wind Turbines

kp64zl

kp64zl

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Has anyone here used a 12v wind turbine in place of solar panels - e.g. for UK camping in Winter??

Assume could be wired into a solar panel controller e.g. with a plug?

Has anyone here used a 12v wind turbine in place of solar panels - e.g. for UK camping in Winter??

Assume could be wired into a solar panel controller e.g. with a plug?
If camped on top of a cliff - possible. Fine on a boat not very efficient on most campsites with trees/hedges.

Wouldn't the constant whirring keep you awake?

Possibly, not sure how noisy they are. Would imagine with a length of cable to put in best place noise wouldn't be so bad. Thinking about the joys of keeping warm in some miserable storm...(when the noise of the turbine less of an issue) (my brother had a woodburning stove in his van but probably would avoid that)

If camped on top of a cliff - possible. Fine on a boat not very efficient on most campsites with trees/hedges.

Was thinking more of when camping away from official campsites - e.g. mountains and coastal areas.

Thinking about the joys of keeping warm in some miserable storm...
That's why the parking heater is recommended so much.

That's why the parking heater is recommended so much.

Yes exactly. How long do you think you'd have to be off grid in the winter to benefit from extra wind energy? -e.g. to help run the parking heater.

Hi @Loz Spoke to my boating friend -- he says turbines aren't too noisy but popular with theives

Yes exactly. How long do you think you'd have to be off grid in the winter to benefit from extra wind energy? -e.g. to help run the parking heater.

Hi @Loz Spoke to my boating friend -- he says turbines aren't too noisy but popular with theives
I think you would be better off with solar on the roof.

even in North Scotland in December? Kinlochbervie has 6hrs faint daylight but lots of wind....

use the diesel power - much less expensive than panels and turbines (which also produce so little)

even in North Scotland in December? Kinlochbervie has 6hrs faint daylight but lots of wind....
As long as there is some light you will get some charge, but if its that bad why are you up there, go south, way south, drive about till its not dark, that's the joy of a campervan.

As long as there is some light you will get some charge, but if its that bad why are you up there, go south, way south, drive about till its not dark, that's the joy of a campervan.
We ran into trouble with our solar panels between November and February - even in southern Europe. A combination of shorter days, a lower sun and more cloud cover conspire to reduce charge to about a quarter of that we were getting in summer in Scandinavia.

From a practical point of view a turbine needs a substantial mast to mount it on with suitable tethering guy lines. This would all be quite bulky to transport and setup on a temporary basis.
In high winds the generator would probably break free from its moorings and do considerable damage to both itself and surroundings.
Solar or a small suitcase generator seem the most practical options.

That's a very helpful consideration, I didn't realise that but of course that's right.
Probably explains why no other threads on the subject & why wind turbines popular on boats (where it could be fixed permanently) but not vans