Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Window tinting

Juliette ryan

Juliette ryan

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have followed a recommendation from this site for SCT (South Coat tints) in Southampton. They have quoted me £265 plus VAT. They have a promo vid showing the process. It all looks great. Just needed some reassurance that Im doing the right thing! at the moment my van has no tint so was going to go for the 30%? Just really nervous as my van is as it was when it left the factory. Please stop me dithering !!! The work is guaranteed obvs.

I can't see you having any problems in having your windows tinted my passenger compartment had no privacy glass either and we had ours tinted 18 months ago, I personally think you need tinted windows in the passenger compartment as you feel like a goldfish in a bowl plus it heats up quite quickly without them and you may want to think how dark you want the tenants to be some people on here have gone limousine which I wish I had done hope that helps.

I'm sure you have looked through the various threads.

My partner did a full limo tint on her old T25, looks amazing with great privacy, but quite dark inside. It does help keep it cool. You can't see in even if you put your face against the glass. Only exception of course would be at night with lights on inside. I plan to get my T25 done and I personally think I wouldnt go that far with mine just because of how dark it is inside even in full sun.

I would personally probably go 20% based on that, I think 20% is the factory standard perhaps?

This site gives a good impression of each

Last edited:
Not sure if it was my recommendation a while back for SCT; but just to reassure, still very pleased with the tints/work 17 months on, and would use them again without hesitation

I have 5% Limo. If I was going to have my time all over again I would go slightly lighter. However no complaints, I love the privacy it gives.

I have the factory tinted windows.
It is funny sometimes seeing people looking at the van, not noticing I am staring back at them.
Sometimes they suddenly notice me, and then they look busted.

It will be fine. If it currently has no tint then I would go at least 20% as 30% is quite light on its own.

I had a Solar Ceramic Film (full privacy) with a lifetime warranty. £50 per window. Had the front door windows done later with a light tint, sun heat reduction dramatic on the legs when driving and on the seats when parked.

I can’t see you regretting it but if you are at all practical then why not consider blowing a massive £31.99, give it a go yourself and remove the financial risk should you change your mind!
(2 minute removal process if you don’t like your new found privacy)
The sides are straightforward, just the back window that’s a little tricky.
Two years on still looks perfect.

Thanks Andy1150. All booked in at SCT. Will post a before and after pic for future reference for anyone.
Ps trying to do it myself !! It would end in tears

That looks great Juliet.
Did you start with VW tint or clear?

Did we ever establish if the factory supplied 'Privacy Glass' is around the 50% level?
I'm starting with Green Tint (ie no privacy) - ideally I'd like to go a touch darker than the Privacy I had in my Ocean, but not much more. Any advice?

Did we ever establish if the factory supplied 'Privacy Glass' is around the 50% level?
I'm starting with Green Tint (ie no privacy) - ideally I'd like to go a touch darker than the Privacy I had in my Ocean, but not much more. Any advice?
When did the van changeover happen?
Did you post pics, i must have missed them.

I see you have the steering wheel on the right side now, well left but right.

Not sure what I started with ! - but SCT put on 25%. They said It didn't come as dark as usual as the van has double glazing - however I'm very happy. Was up in Scotland / north of England over the summer and in 36 degrees (nottingham 24th July) it was a godsend - perfect and at around £240 I thought it was money well spent (comes with guarantee for as long as you have the vehicle)

When did the van changeover happen?
Did you post pics, i must have missed them.

I see you have the steering wheel on the right side now, well left but right.
Van swap happened last week. I started drafting a post explaining my logic and views, but had to stop and think again when I got to two pages of A4!
So yep, I'm starting an anti-style Cali club. You win points for older vans, small wheels, clear glass, old style Fiamma bike racks and (topping the points), wheel trims!
I've not fallen on hard times; just had my worries about where new Cali's are heading and a particular need for left hand drive van. When I get some decent photos, I'll try again.

Van swap happened last week. I started drafting a post explaining my logic and views, but had to stop and think again when I got to two pages of A4!
So yep, I'm starting an anti-style Cali club. You win points for older vans, small wheels, clear glass, old style Fiamma bike racks and (topping the points), wheel trims!
I've not fallen on hard times; just had my worries about where new Cali's are heading and a particular need for left hand drive van. When I get some decent photos, I'll try again.
Cool, mine is a comfort line and came with a good window tint i can
dig out my original bill and see what the window code is, if that helps.

Cool, mine is a comfort line and came with a good window tint i can
dig out my original bill and see what the window code is, if that helps.
If it was an after market tint that would be very helpful thanks @westfalia

Back