Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Window tinting - NW England

VIP Member
Has anybody had a good experience with a window tinting firm in the Preston area? Looking for a recommendation to do all 4 rear windows.

I am still a little concerned about the issue of heat build up on darkened double glazed units causing early failure but seems a lot of folk here have had an additional tint applied and not had issue with this.

Hi there... Give Lustalux a try... very professional and good reports for their work on a few friends T5's

LustaLux

On the heat build up piece... I had a few comments when I originally put some large matt black graphics on the rear/side windows of the Cali abut potential damage etc.

Have to say, 5 years on, many trips to the south of France and through Europe in mid-summer... it's never been an issue. I wouldn't be unduly concerned about tinting them.

Hope this helps.

Rgds

Mark

Hi,

Thanks for that - just rang for a quote - £250 + VAT. Fair enough , am ok with that ...
but they are unwilling to let the customer see the work in progress which leaves me feeling a little uneasy.

Hi,

Thanks for that - just rang for a quote - £250 + VAT. Fair enough , am ok with that ...
but they are unwilling to let the customer see the work in progress which leaves me feeling a little uneasy.

No worries, share your concern.

I can understand it to an extent... having tinted windows myself, it's a faff to say the least but the real issue is dust, fibre etc which are a nightmare.

Having someone else poking about the vehicle would make this very difficult to manage.

There are companies however that do this on your drive

But it is your money, so your call.

Good luck and let me know how things go.

Rdgs
Mark

Really depends what your usage is. According to this comparison the Toolbox is not so good for extended use OFF mains.

Powered cool boxes

Although powered coolboxes often have both 12V and 240 volt power supply options, the 12V option is mainly intended for use when traveling due to the ampage draw on the 12V supply. Thermo-electric coolboxes will keep run from a vehicle 12V supply while the motor is running without draining the battery and are sufficiently insulated to keep things cool if you stop at a service station on your journey. They can however drain your car battery if left running when the motor is switched off (look out for coolers with a battery safe mode which cuts off before the battery gets too low).

Thermo-electric coolboxes are usually recommended for UK use where a 240V supply is available on site through your vehicle connection or an independent mobile mains kit sometimes referred to as a EHU. Electric cool boxes generally have a cooling capacity of around 18 to 20 °C below ambient temperature and some also have a warming function for hot food stuffs.

Cheaper than a genuine fridge, electric coolboxes are recommended for picnics or cold drinks on long journeys or UK campsite use to chill basic foodstuffs where a mains electric supply is available.

Shop for electric coolboxes -->>

Absorption fridges

Absorption fridges are similar to the compression fridge you may have at home, but they run much quieter so as not to disturb your nights sleep. They can generally be run from both 12v and 24 volt electric supplies as well as gas giving you the freedom to use them where a mains electric supply is not available or simply unreliable.

Absorption fridges will generally achieve a temperature drop of around 25 to 30°C below ambient making them suitable for use in hotter climbs as well as the UK. Many will have variable performance to prevent over chilling in colder months of the year. Although they are more expensive than electric coolboxes, with no moving parts absorption fridges tend to have a longer lifetime than powered coolboxes.

Recommended for use in both the UK and Europe where higher performance may be required or where mains electric supply can't be relied upon so gas power option is an advantage.

oops, sorry. Had 3 windows opened in Safari and posted on wrong one. It's an age thing.:headbang:headbang:headbang

Rma tinting off ribbleton lane Preston
His name is Richard really nice guy did mine last year great job
image.jpg

Last edited:
HI - & thanks for this. Van looks really good with black alloys & blacker windows.
What grade of tint was applied? Presumably original windows were factory tint double glazed?
The tint job is 100% ? No concerns about application?
Looks great.
I will be calling him in the next day or so.

Thanks again

Think it was limo tint no concerns about application said any probs bring it back and he will sort it . Then two weeks later leaky side window which vw replaced took it back replaced tint while I waited great job

sorry didn't put on before windows are laminated all way around

Na don't think so

Back