Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Windscreen washer not working

S

Steve Barrand

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi,

my windscreen washers have stopped working on my T6 Beach - no pump sound and washer tank full.

I am checking the fuses in the box behind the bottle holder on the comfort dash. Does anyone know which fuse it is?

cheers

Steve Barrand

Under the dash behind the drinks bottle holder.
Middle row, second down from the top. blue 15A mini blade fuse.

Fuse-Card.png

Thanks Loz, that’s great!!

I have checked that though and it was fine. Time to move into the pump itself.

Thanks again.

does the rear washer work ?

No, none of the washer are working.
Thanks for asking. Is that significant?
yes. I once had a golf where the front washer didn't work but the back one did. even though it was the same pump. turned out to be the little shuttle valve thingy. sounds like you need to access the washer pump . I think its under the wheel arch

yes. I once had a golf where the front washer didn't work but the back one did. even though it was the same pump. turned out to be the little shuttle valve thingy. sounds like you need to access the washer pump . I think its under the wheel arch
Yeah, I’m gonna have a look at that this evening. When I pull the lever in the van, I don’t get a sound at all from the pump. When you had an issue did the pump make a sound?

Yeah, I’m gonna have a look at that this evening. When I pull the lever in the van, I don’t get a sound at all from the pump. When you had an issue did the pump make a sound?
bear in mind when the bonnet is open it won't operate on some vehicles also. could it be the bonnet switch ?

bear in mind when the bonnet is open it won't operate on some vehicles also. could it be the bonnet switch ?
Hadn’t thought of that. The windscreen wipers are operating properly though which leads me to think that it’s the pump that’s bust.‍♀️

So I’ve disconnected the pump and connected wires directly to the battery and then to the terminals on the pump. Didn’t get any reaction. Is this a reliable test in everyone’s opinion. If it is, it’s a dead pump.

Ok, so I have changed the pump and success, it working again. Unfortunately, the reservoir is now leaking as I seem to have lost the rubber seal when I the old pump out and the fluid began to flow out. I have looked everywhere and can’t find it. I do however think that I may have pushed into the reservoir in attempt to put the original pump back in to stop the fluid leaking.

Has anyone purchased a new seal or does anyone know what it looks like?

I asked my best friend (as you all know by now is called Google) and he told me this:
1591118355980.png
It's the middle of the 3 parts on the picture, he whispered in my ear.

I asked my best friend (as you all know by now is called Google) and he told me this:
View attachment 60240
It's the middle of the 3 parts on the picture, he whispered in my ear.
I’ve seen that on google too but I wasn’t sure if that was right for my bottle as 1. I did not see anything like that and 2. I couldn’t have pushed that inside the reservoir.
They are only a couple of pence so might just try one.

cheers

I’ve seen that on google too but I wasn’t sure if that was right for my bottle as 1. I did not see anything like that and 2. I couldn’t have pushed that inside the reservoir.
They are only a couple of pence so might just try one.

cheers
has it fell onto the under tray ? is it stuck on the old pump ? glad the problem is solved though. nearly

has it fell onto the under tray ? is it stuck on the old pump ? glad the problem is solved though. nearly
It’s defo not on the old pump and I’ve scrabbled around under the van but can’t find it. I’m thinking that it’s disappeared into that place and all small but vitally important things go to - the missing small widget black hole! ‍♀️♀️

It can be pushed in the reservoir when you push the new pump in.
Maybe worth to check? Let the fluid get out (you can try to save it, but can get dirty...), and check in the reservoir? Maybe you can access it if it's there through the hole of the level sensor (if you have that?)?

It can be pushed in the reservoir when you push the new pump in.
Maybe worth to check? Let the fluid get out (you can try to save it, but can get dirty...), and check in the reservoir? Maybe you can access it if it's there through the hole of the level sensor (if you have that?)?
If it's in the reservoir should be easy to remove and shake it back out of the top. Or use a piece of copper wire or summat

If it's in the reservoir should be easy to remove and shake it back out of the top. Or use a piece of copper wire or summat
Yeah but I’d have to strip the front end down to get the reservoir out. Might just see if a can get something to fit.

Back