Wise old Granny tip #53

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Those relaxing moments in the evening:

Dinner slowly cooking in the mini-oven, soft music playing, lights low, the aromatic fragrance of incense wafting through the blissful calm.... the whispy smoke of the joss stick slowly rising.....

Do once in a while check that the smoke is coming from the joss stick, and not the contents of the mini oven :oops:

What do you cook in yours? I was thinking of getting one, but my husband is already complaining that we take too much stuff with us in the van!

Those relaxing moments in the evening:

Dinner slowly cooking in the mini-oven, soft music playing, lights low, the aromatic fragrance of incense wafting through the blissful calm.... the whispy smoke of the joss stick slowly rising.....

Do once in a while check that the smoke is coming from the joss stick, and not the contents of the mini oven :oops:

I was given a little wooden house thing to burn incense cones in. Normally put the sticks on a long holder.
The incense cone burnt down and then there was a terrible smell of burning wood :Nailbiting

What do you cook in yours? I was thinking of getting one, but my husband is already complaining that we take too much stuff with us in the van!

Mostly ..... Charlie ginghams Lasagne, MnS varieties of Pasta, home-made pre-cooked and frozen foods such as beef stroganoff or chicken curry.... all sorts really. Garlic bread does a treat.

The main things are pre-cooked, home made bits. I use 36 ounce biodegradable containers from Vegware to freeze them in, perfect size for two.

Last night it was a rustic rogan josh with pilau rice and tarkha Dahl cooked on the hob, tonight it MnS melting middle fish cakes :).

I was given a little wooden house thing to burn incense cones in. Normally put the sticks on a long holder.
The incense cone burnt down and then there was a terrible smell of burning wood :Nailbiting

Ha! You burnt the house down :D

I use a long holder for the sticks. I find those nice porcelain ones, normally a take on any one of 500 variations of lotus, are always two small. I also have a wood coffin for cones but nervous for the same reasons as you burning your house down :(

We use ours when we're on hook up as we love pies! Pie and beans after a long winter walk: just the job! And not smelly. I love a josstick, but my husband gets the sneezes!

a rustic rogan josh with pilau rice and tarkha Dahl cooked on the hob.
Being someone that has been known to eat curry for breakfast you have just made me very hungry.
On top of that I realised that the only home made curry we have is a makala. Do you have a recipe you could share on the Rogan?? :)

Mostly ..... Charlie ginghams Lasagne, MnS varieties of Pasta, home-made pre-cooked and frozen foods such as beef stroganoff or chicken curry.... all sorts really. Garlic bread does a treat.

The main things are pre-cooked, home made bits. I use 36 ounce biodegradable containers from Vegware to freeze them in, perfect size for two.

Last night it was a rustic rogan josh with pilau rice and tarkha Dahl cooked on the hob, tonight it MnS melting middle fish cakes :).
A cracking budget alternative to "Charlie Gingham/ M&S" is Aldi's pasta bakes. Very tasty. £3.99.
130704_Aldi-Specially-Selected-Macaroni-Cheese-with-Pancetta-copy.jpg 130707_Aldi-Specially-Selected-Tuscan-Sausage-Tortiglioni-Bake-copy.jpg

Being someone that has been known to eat curry for breakfast you have just made me very hungry.
On top of that I realised that the only home made curry we have is a makala. Do you have a recipe you could share on the Rogan?? :)

I partially cheat.

I use spice tailor for part of the sauce.

Makes it very quick. Chicken breast cut into small pieces, tossed in a large frying pan and lightly fried with ground cumin and garam masala in coconut oil. Add green chilli depending on how hot you like it, drain and pop into an oven dish to infuse. Same pan, sliced onions and coarsely sliced green peppers, fried, squeeze of lemon juice (or mango). add a few cumin seeds, pour on the sauce, add plain yoghurt to dilute to taste. pour over the chicken, give the whole lot a stir, put in oven for about 30 minutes, not enough to dry the chicken or peppers out, take out, leave to cool, decant into veg pots to freeze.

Pop in a frying pan when on camp site, heat well through, about 15 minutes, brilliant.

@GrannyJen
Nothing wrong with a bit of cheating...
I don't love cooking.

Back