Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Yelloh Campsites

J

jamescropp

Hi, I am thinking of driving down to the south of France in my T5 California this summer with my wife and 12 yr old son. Does anyone have any experience of "Yelloh" campsites? Thanks

Interested as we also going to one in Loire Valley in August. Normally go somewhere smaller but the children are of an age where they want a bit more. The sites themselves get very good reviews.

We stayed on one once, but in a mobile home rather than camping pitch. The site and facilities were very good however as I recall some of the camping pitches were a bit on the small side and lacking grass (we were down near Biarritz in Summer) which can be a problem in hot areas. Like most sites I guess they have different sizes of pitches available however.
I certainly would not be put off using a Yelloh site

I've stayed in the one a few miles from Saint-Emilion for a few nights.
Pool was very good, cafe was fair (but the restaurants in the town 4 miles away were stellar), shop was good, pitches were good (compacted gravel surrounded by good grass) and there were free minibus lifts into the town and back throughout the day. We went in in the morning about 10 ish and came back mid evening each day. Saint-Emilion is like they've built a Hollywood set, small and seriously pretty.

It was May a couple of years ago and the large site was not busy at all.
Weather was hot but breezy.

An elderly couple from Bradford had the biggest RV on the site I've ever seen (and I've spent a good deal of time in the US doing deserts and canyons). It had a Honda Goldwing and sidecar in the boot out of sight. They pitched up in the same restaurant as us one night. In spite of the bling and artificial tan worthy of a valley rugby team they were a lovely couple I'm embarrassed to say.

Have stayed in a few over the years when our kids were teenagers....they loved it. Always have a lot going on. I prefer small quiet campsites now there are just the two of us.

Not France, but the Yelloh Touriscampo site at Espiche in the Algarve is one of the best campsites in Europe, with awards to prove it!

We stayed in Panorama du Pyla near Arcachon a few years ago. Campsite was in a great location, really well equipped, great shop but although the restaurant was good, it was expensive. Nice pitches among the pine trees and not too noisy (but this was before school holidays). Also stayed in Les Grande Pins, Lacanau Ocean. This has it's own access to the beach and is a short walk from the town. Also very good site. Because we went in June we could use the ASCI card and paid less than 15 euro a night! Excellent.

We have been to three, la fayolan in the Jura, and Grandes pins and Sylvamar, both on the Atlantic coast in the south.
We have young children and it was worth the extra cost for the extra facilities.
Each time we went for the first week of a two week holiday, winging it for the second week.
We preferred the two in Aquitaine.
I had to use a clay detailing kit to remove the pine sap after our visit to Grandes Pins, but brilliant family cycling in that area.
They are all massive sites and you do feel a bit packed in though.

We stayed at a Yelloh campsites in The Loire in a camper. Kids loved it, and if the kids are happy it makes life easy. Everything was very clean, pool was great including slides and waves, just a bit more lively than perhaps we like.

These are generally very good. We have stayed in two so far - Le Brasilia near Perpignan for 10 nights ( http://www.yellohvillage.co.uk/camping/le_brasilia ), and Camping Le Joyeux Reveil in the Alps nearest city Grenoble 2 nights ( http://www.yellohvillage.co.uk/camping/au_joyeux_reveil ).

Le Brasilia is big with lots of excellent facilities, decent restaurant, good shop, cheap wine and beachfront with many other restaurants the other side of the harbour well within cycling distance, but do check the climate as it can be very windy! This is not yet ACSI but they had the inspectors in when were there last June

T'other is a lot smaller and a bit remote but in beautiful hilly green valley with the village of Autrans 5 mins walking distance. We felt two nights was enough as not much to do and we were en route home, but a lovely stopover. The site has plenty of lush grass which can make a nice change! This one was ACSI at the time but doesn't show in the latest Guide. Avoid the mussels! It's a long way for them to travel.

In our experience these Yelloh sites offer top quality to the extent that we're staying at the Lous Serrots ( http://www.yellohvillage.co.uk/camping/lous_seurrots ) south of Bordeaux on way down to Portugal in May.

We stayed at Le Brasilia and it was a lovely site, especially the pool, wash facilities were fantastic, loved being near the beach but went in June and found the evening entertainment pretty loud from our pitch. Not sure how it would be in peak season and not sure we will return in a hurry but that is because we have young children so quieter sites suit us. Pitches were very large and shady though. I mostly remember the incredible thunderstorm we had!