Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Yes it’s over...!!!

Christmas is, at heart, a religious festival but has been hijacked by many vested interests. It’s upto you if you want to join them or not.
For many years I have believed almost the opposite. The pagan mid winter festival around the solstice period has been hijacked by many religious groups and rebranded as Christmas even though a more likely date of Jesus' birth is mid-September to early October (6, 5 or 4 BC).

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

For many years I have believed almost the opposite. The pagan mid winter festival around the solstice period has been hijacked by many religious groups and rebranded as Christmas even though a more likely date of Jesus' birth is mid-September to early October (6, 5 or 4 BC).

The 25th is a compromise and is based upon the work of dionysius Exiguous, Dennis the small to his friends, who actually fixed the dates of Easter at the request of pope John 1st. (He was also the bloke who gave us Anno Domini). From his tables the conception date was calculated and given the belief in perfect gestation so the date of the birth of Jesus could be calculated as being the 25th December.

This became the celebratory date of the Roman Catholic Church but not the Eastern orthodox who still celebrate the 7th January, the difference being whether you follow the Julian or Gregorian Calendar.

The pagan festival, specifically the Roman festival of Saturnalia which celebrated the winter Solstice, extended itself to the 23rd December.

Either way there is no definitive proof and indeed Anno Domini is a little bit wonky as a calculation according to modern research.

Last edited:

That maybe your belief, fortunately not shared by all.

Nothing like religion to get people fighting! Oh, except Beach vs Ocean, or California vs Marco Polo

Peace and goodwill. Whatever happened to that?

That maybe your belief, fortunately not shared by all.
Yes, my belief is not shared by a great many. People who have been told all their lives that Jesus was born on 25 December are likely to believe that to be true. Less forgivable is the erroneous belief that Christmas came before the pagan winter solstice festival.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We celebrated with family then snook away in our Cali...... time off allowed this so happy

I do however feel Christmas is going to be scaled down and I’ll become more ‘selfish’ in the coming years.

The cost, expectations etc has started to grate me and quite frankly .... I’m taking my Christmas back.... for Cali trips from now on as people always find something to grumble about ;)

.....remember Valentine's day is comming start saving money to buy your gift!
:D

Back