Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Your best UK Cali adventure to date?

BeachLife

BeachLife

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi everyone!

Have finally just bought our first California (Beach) and it’s my 40th on 4th June... the dream is to wake up, in our van, with an awesome view and have breakfast overlooking said view (will probably be UK). Sea, lake, mountain I don’t mind. We have them in abundance but I wouldn’t know where to physically park (legally) for the best view.

So I wondered if there was anywhere really jaw dropping you’ve parked up overnight in your vans that you could recommend? I’ve trawled through the forum and internet already, but if this has already been discussed recently please could you point me in the direction of the thread?! Thank you so much :)

Amy

We have not been to the UK very often, but see here some of our camping spots. If you fancy one, let us know and we'll let you know where it was!

Lovely photos.
The one next to the lake - is that the Lake District?

Hi everyone!

Have finally just bought our first California (Beach) and it’s my 40th on 4th June... the dream is to wake up, in our van, with an awesome view and have breakfast overlooking said view (will probably be UK). Sea, lake, mountain I don’t mind. We have them in abundance but I wouldn’t know where to physically park (legally) for the best view.

So I wondered if there was anywhere really jaw dropping you’ve parked up overnight in your vans that you could recommend? I’ve trawled through the forum and internet already, but if this has already been discussed recently please could you point me in the direction of the thread?! Thank you so much :)

Amy
Great thread idea. I’ve got the same dream... but I’m 7 years older with an ocean on order. Exciting new chapter!
I love the Lakes more than anywhere, and my Dad used to park us up at Glenridding sailing school at the southern end of Ullswater - a great place to wake up and get the kettle on.

On that occasion we pretty much made a beeline straight to ferry at Uig on Skye which takes you into Tarbert to maximise time over there. If I were to do it again which is highly likely I’d go via Oban to south Uist & make my way up from there returning via Tarbert to Uig. Where do you start on favourite spots on the way, there’s so many. If you were to go via Oban, there’s a cracking overnight spot at Taynuilt pier within a half hour drive
Fabulous, can I ask where you travelled from and some of your other fav spots on you way to Harris

Attachments

• 9655F403-72D9-4C59-ABCE-C070FEA20E2D.jpeg
    9655F403-72D9-4C59-ABCE-C070FEA20E2D.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 57
Harris for us too. Photos don’t do it justice!

Fabulous, can I ask where you travelled from and some of your other fav spots on you way to Harris
On that occasion we pretty much made a beeline straight to ferry at Uig on Skye which takes you into Tarbert to maximise time over there. If I were to do it again which is highly likely I’d go via Oban to south Uist & make my way up from there returning via Tarbert to Uig. Where do you start on favourite spots on the way, there’s so many. If you were to go via Oban, there’s a cracking overnight spot at Taynuilt pier within a half hour driv
On that occasion we pretty much made a beeline straight to ferry at Uig on Skye which takes you into Tarbert to maximise time over there. If I were to do it again which is highly likely I’d go via Oban to south Uist & make my way up from there returning via Tarbert to Uig. Where do you start on favourite spots on the way, there’s so many. If you were to go via Oban, there’s a cracking overnight spot at Taynuilt pier within a half hour drivers wh
On that occasion we pretty much made a beeline straight to ferry at Uig on Skye which takes you into Tarbert to maximise time over there. If I were to do it again which is highly likely I’d go via Oban to south Uist & make my way up from there returning via Tarbert to Uig. Where do you start on favourite spots on the way, there’s so many. If you were to go via Oban, there’s a cracking overnight spot at Taynuilt pier within a half hour drive
Where to start indeed. We are fortunate to live in Scotland totally agree the list is endless ! Our plan is to explore more of Scotland and Ireland before branching out to explore Europe ! Thanks for the tips , 9 hours driving time from home to Harris but so many beautiful spots to see in the way. . Can’t wait to get on the road when this virus does one !

UK - there are many. One of the best - Newcastle to John O Groats hugging the east coast. No plan, just roll with a start and an end date

20180719_134302.jpg

20180719_220255.jpg

20180724_112808.jpg

One of the best experience was bumping into John at the Caithness Smokehouse near Thurso. We were kinda wandering aimlessly and reached the smokehouse. Filled up the freezer and enjoyed the fish the next few days.

20180724_135345.jpg

Can anyone guess the one below - what and where? :D

20180721_190649.jpg

Answers on a postcard please :)

Amy what joy, we got ours in 2018 and for my 50th drove to Skye.

Here a few places we stopped on route

This is where we spent my 50th at Kinloch Campsite on Skye, there were seals in the bay.

kinlock.jpg

On the way up there in the dead of night, pitch black in the wind and rain, pulled in to this campsite at Shiel Bridge Campsite Loch Duich, woke up to this, surrounded by mountains.

shiel bridge.jpg

On the way back down stayed in the carpark of the Drovers Inn north lock Lomand, spooky old pub and great food. Don't forget the beauty of stopping in pub and restaurant car parks, never been refused yet, even the swankiest of places.

Drovers inn.jpg

Another trip, Downhill Sands Northern Island, we stayed on the beach overnight, stunning. If you ever have the chance carry on round the Donegal and the Atlantic way, so quiet and unspoilt.

Downhill Sands.jpg

When times allow it, enjoy your van. In the mean time we set ours up in th garden and call it the pub.

All the best

Nigel

Amy what joy, we got ours in 2018 and for my 50th drove to Skye.

Here a few places we stopped on route

This is where we spent my 50th at Kinloch Campsite on Skye, there were seals in the bay.

View attachment 72808

On the way up there in the dead of night, pitch black in the wind and rain, pulled in to this campsite at Shiel Bridge Campsite Loch Duich, woke up to this, surrounded by mountains.

View attachment 72810

On the way back down stayed in the carpark of the Drovers Inn north lock Lomand, spooky old pub and great food. Don't forget the beauty of stopping in pub and restaurant car parks, never been refused yet, even the swankiest of places.

View attachment 72809

Another trip, Downhill Sands Northern Island, we stayed on the beach overnight, stunning. If you ever have the chance carry on round the Donegal and the Atlantic way, so quiet and unspoilt.

View attachment 72813

When times allow it, enjoy your van. In the mean time we set ours up in th garden and call it the pub.

All the best

Nigel
What a way to spend your 50th!

The trip looks brilliant and thank you so much for sharing with detail - I had forgotten about the freebie stayovers etc so have started looking into these too.

Scotland and the islands surrounding have always been on the bucket list, so we will start making a plan to get up and do this, hopefully relatively leisurely.

Love the van by the way :)

thank you again for sharing that Nigel.
Amy

91acb548aa8c78e48d04cfea9ca69c99.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonny Scotland has my heart, we don’t live there although I was born there. Trying to convince the boss to move though so we can spend more time there.

Back