Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New [to me] Grand Cali - Yay

C

Chainline

VIP Member
Maybe not exciting for most already on here but I finally picked up my GC680 after much gnashing of teeth and worry about it being the right thing after reading about so many problems on the interwebs, at least I am eyes open.

Spec not quite what I would have ordered but having been told 14-16months for a new one (if things go well) and used ones being hens teeth, the conversions I looked at not available untilQ4 2023 or early 2024 I decided to commit to a) find out if I can live with a 7m van (I thought I would not be able to go bigger than 6m) and b) cope with 'only' 2wd and try to get some adventure in now.

Picked up on Friday, away by Saturday, first couldn't get any gas as local suppliers will only swop a bottle not sell a new one, so we got quite cold Sat night! Yes I wanted the diesel E heating. Then the field was steep and a touch damp...manoeuvring to put the van in the right place resulted in the 2wd van on low rolling resistance conti's spinning on the upslope (rural Yorkshire) and immediate head wobbles for not getting 4wd.. (yes I will fit some General Grabber AT3s as soon as they arrive!)

We won't mention the no facilities site (of a friends 40th party) entrance was barely wider than the van, lined with cut trees and sticky outy branches on the inside of a super tight turns with a dry stone on the outside of the corner for good measure, oh and entrance through granite posts.... all the assist systems, park, lane, Mayfair and everything else its fitted with, around the van went off in a two tone cacophony making me feel like Maverick in Top Gun caught in missile lock by the entire 'hostile' air force. Thank god for big mirrors. It was clear, 30 yards into the hairpin tree tunnel I was going to have to reverse back out onto the the narrow dry stone wall lined road again. I made it out (big mirrors) and went in through the out entrance, still tight but more manageable. I think the Sprinter 360 view might have been handy in this situation.

At this point I was clearly having doubts but knew this 'test' was what I needed to find out if its right for us. We laughed a lot.

On the positive side, I loved going to the facilities in the middle of the night as it was cold, we had a nice cup of tea just before bed, which meant it was inevitable at my age, but it was a beautiful thing not waking up my wife or walking across the campsite amongst the revellers and braving the weekend old portaloo, I had a gentle smile of relief(sic) and smugness.

It did 32mpg, gobsmacked I was, thats close to my Beach, despite the big hills and narrow lanes. Apart from trying to get the measure of the turning radius and where my nearside front corner is it was surprisingly easy to get around b roads and small villages. Not sure how much easier a 6m van is with 0.8m less wheelbase but this was ok.

Yes I need a shower sucker (anyone got a link or recommendation for this heinous VW omission on the GC680), some gas, a proper topper; we have some Raskalfs from the Ocean/Beach which were fine for a nights sleep but leave a 12in gap in the middle of the nice big bed which meant a good nights sleep (if a little cool) but needs sorting, definitely need a smaller table. likely Calicap if I can't find a UK one that stows next to the passenger seats, probably an Ecoflow /Jackary/Bluetti as I don't want to do too much modification of extra electrics during warranty but we will be off hookup quite a bit and it doesn't have solar (I can see the leisure going down already with the fridge even though its a new one) , maybe I'll be brave enough for an ecotree LifePO4, a waste tank warmer..and all the other super useful tricks tips from the fine folk on this site. I need to adjust a couple of the airline cupboards (hinges) to reduce the rattling. Oh and a spare wheel and bike carrier.

I hope we don't have the tap issue, but I know the emergency fixes, but I will try and get a replacement anyway under the technical note/fix as it seems very weak compare to the bathroom shower head (new version and new pump looked good on an insta I saw earlier, I think the pump was a reich KTW C DVGW W270). Maybe we can just buy and fit it if the dealers won't play ball.

So really looking forward to getting out in it, finding out if it's for me at this size in the long term. I can't imagine it being much tighter than the weekends soiree and I didn't freak so hopeful :thumb

Little piccy on the drive.

Oh one last thing, it was funny when I got home, parked on the drive and blocked out all the light like a solar eclipse in front of the lounge window (parked next to the Beach) my (16 and 18yr old) kids inside apparently say to my wife 'Jesus, thats HUGE, does Dad know he's bought an RV', My wife laughed so hard I thought I might need to give her gas and air:D

Thanks to all who have replied to my sometimes inane questions on here and I hope to see you out in the wild soon.

Library - 1 of 1.jpeg

Last edited:
Congratulations @Chainline the GC looks fab!
Great initial write up and look forward to hearing how you get on with things as you enjoy mire trips away.
Enjoy!

great looking GC and don’t let all the negative points raised put you off, I have had my fair share of the issues mentioned but love van to bits and you soon get use to the size. GC is a fantastic bit of kit enjoy.

Maybe not exciting for most already on here but I finally picked up my GC680 after much gnashing of teeth and worry about it being the right thing after reading about so many problems on the interwebs, at least I am eyes open.

Spec not quite what I would have ordered but having been told 14-16months for a new one (if things go well) and used ones being hens teeth, the conversions I looked at not available untilQ4 2023 or early 2024 I decided to commit to a) find out if I can live with a 7m van (I thought I would not be able to go bigger than 6m) and b) cope with 'only' 2wd and try to get some adventure in now.

Picked up on Friday, away by Saturday, first couldn't get any gas as local suppliers will only swop a bottle not sell a new one, so we got quite cold Sat night! Yes I wanted the diesel E heating. Then the field was steep and a touch damp...manoeuvring to put the van in the right place resulted in the 2wd van on low rolling resistance conti's spinning on the upslope (rural Yorkshire) and immediate head wobbles for not getting 4wd.. (yes I will fit some General Grabber AT3s as soon as they arrive!)

We won't mention the no facilities site (of a friends 40th party) entrance was barely wider than the van, lined with cut trees and sticky outy branches on the inside of a super tight turns with a dry stone on the outside of the corner for good measure, oh and entrance through granite posts.... all the assist systems, park, lane, Mayfair and everything else its fitted with, around the van went off in a two tone cacophony making me feel like Maverick in Top Gun caught in missile lock by the entire 'hostile' air force. Thank god for big mirrors. It was clear, 30 yards into the hairpin tree tunnel I was going to have to reverse back out onto the the narrow dry stone wall lined road again. I made it out (big mirrors) and went in through the out entrance, still tight but more manageable. I think the Sprinter 360 view might have been handy in this situation.

At this point I was clearly having doubts but knew this 'test' was what I needed to find out if its right for us. We laughed a lot.

On the positive side, I loved going to the facilities in the middle of the night as it was cold, we had a nice cup of tea just before bed, which meant it was inevitable at my age, but it was a beautiful thing not waking up my wife or walking across the campsite amongst the revellers and braving the weekend old portaloo, I had a gentle smile of relief(sic) and smugness.

It did 32mpg, gobsmacked I was, thats close to my Beach, despite the big hills and narrow lanes. Apart from trying to get the measure of the turning radius and where my nearside front corner is it was surprisingly easy to get around b roads and small villages. Not sure how much easier a 6m van is with 0.8m less wheelbase but this was ok.

Yes I need a shower sucker (anyone got a link or recommendation for this heinous VW omission on the GC680), some gas, a proper topper; we have some Raskalfs from the Ocean/Beach which were fine for a nights sleep but leave a 12in gap in the middle of the nice big bed which meant a good nights sleep (if a little cool) but needs sorting, definitely need a smaller table. likely Calicap if I can't find a UK one that stows next to the passenger seats, probably an Ecoflow /Jackary/Bluetti as I don't want to do too much modification of extra electrics during warranty but we will be off hookup quite a bit and it doesn't have solar (I can see the leisure going down already with the fridge even though its a new one) , maybe I'll be brave enough for an ecotree LifePO4, a waste tank warmer..and all the other super useful tricks tips from the fine folk on this site. I need to adjust a couple of the airline cupboards (hinges) to reduce the rattling. Oh and a spare wheel and bike carrier.

I hope we don't have the tap issue, but I know the emergency fixes, but I will try and get a replacement anyway under the technical note/fix as it seems very weak compare to the bathroom shower head (new version and new pump looked good on an insta I saw earlier, I think the pump was a reich KTW C DVGW W270). Maybe we can just buy and fit it if the dealers won't play ball.

So really looking forward to getting out in it, finding out if it's for me at this size in the long term. I can't imagine it being much tighter than the weekends soiree and I didn't freak so hopeful :thumb

Little piccy on the drive.

Oh one last thing, it was funny when I got home, parked on the drive and blocked out all the light like a solar eclipse in front of the lounge window (parked next to the Beach) my (16 and 18yr old) kids inside apparently say to my wife 'Jesus, thats HUGE, does Dad know he's bought an RV', My wife laughed so hard I thought I might need to give her gas and air:D

Thanks to all who have replied to my sometimes inane questions on here and I hope to see you out in the wild soon.

View attachment 93759
Hi, thanks for that comprehensive write up, nice van. I look forward to hearing how it goes and in particular changes such as a LiP04 battery change. We had a 2000 mile trip around Scotland in a 600 last summer and was pleased to also have a 32mpg average, hopefully our new 600 will do the same. Good lidk with the new purchase.
Alun

Haha great write up.

I’d advise getting solar and you can easily add 2 x 50w panels to the roof.
I’m not sure I want to stick anything on to the roof and and wire through it, but there was a German thread where they added an mppt to the leisure under the bonnet and just plugged in a couple of 200w fold up Panels a La Jackary/Bluetti etc. directly.
I am most tempted to get a generator package and use it to plug into the external or direct.
I assume plugging into external with a generator would also allow running the heating and water off the electric but I guess that would be a lot of draw.
Lots to learn…

I’m not sure I want to stick anything on to the roof and and wire through it, but there was a German thread where they added an mppt to the leisure under the bonnet and just plugged in a couple of 200w fold up Panels a La Jackary/Bluetti etc. directly.
I am most tempted to get a generator package and use it to plug into the external or direct.
I assume plugging into external with a generator would also allow running the heating and water off the electric but I guess that would be a lot of draw.
Lots to learn…
You'd need a very big battery/generator to run your heating. It's almost impossible as the biggest portable batteries are around 2kwh with a 2kw inverter. Unless you meant a petrol generator? If you're going to do that why not just use LPG?

According to the Truma website, the Truma boiler on electric pulls 900W/1800w but it would take some time to heat at 900w and probably use your battery for one tank/10L of hot water which is why LPG or diesel is the only sensible option for heating and hot water.

Regards solar, a local installer would charge hardly anything to just drill a hole in the roof, set up the MPPt and run the cabling for you.

You'd need a very big battery/generator to run your heating. It's almost impossible as the biggest portable batteries are around 2kwh with a 2kw inverter. Unless you meant a petrol generator? If you're going to do that why not just use LPG?

According to the Truma website, the Truma boiler on electric pulls 900W/1800w but it would take some time to heat at 900w and probably use your battery for one tank/10L of hot water which is why LPG or diesel is the only sensible option for heating and hot water.

Regards solar, a local installer would charge hardly anything to just drill a hole in the roof, set up the MPPt and run the cabling for you.
Defo too much draw then yes!

I was thinking 2kwh powergen plus 300w solar. I’ll have another read around the threads on here.

Really nice to read about your first experiences! Congratualtions, your GC looks fabulous. Hope you have great times in it.

Many thanks all. Tonight’s adventure is I finally managed to get gas from the depot as needed new bottles. Hob works fine. Water and heating not so much..E622H code. Not in the manual, great! Email to Truma technical then…
I want to go away for a day or so and hot water would be

When, rather than if, your original tap fails, Rather than pull the fuse which leaves you with no water, you may want to do the same as us & just cut the cable to the kitchen tap. You can get to it easily just by pulling out the under sink draw. At least then you can continue to use the bathroom tap- which will reach the kitchen sink and flush the toilet etc.

Yes, the tap! I intend to expedite the ‘hack’ and part the contacts. I think I’ve found the replacement tap (£44) so may get one on standby or ask the local dealer about the tech note along with the pump mod.

Heating and hot water first! Van is an ex demo, 1 private owner but never used (bought/storage/sold back) so all basically as new but from a very uninformed dealer….

I had tried bending the contacts at home last week to make a bigger gap , that worked for about a day.
When it failed again on the first evening of our trip I realised that the only tools missing from my set were those I had used to open the tap up. Using a pair of nail clippers to cut the cable was the easy option.
I’ve not noticed any problem with water pressure with the original pump.

We do however now have the rear roof light jammed, fortunately it’s shut, winding the handle just gives a clicking noise as if some gears are stripped.

It’s going to need more going wrong than that to ruin our trip.

Many thanks all. Tonight’s adventure is I finally managed to get gas from the depot as needed new bottles. Hob works fine. Water and heating not so much..E622H code. Not in the manual, great! Email to Truma technical then…
I want to go away for a day or so and hot water would be
Ooh that doesn’t sound good E622H is a defective control panel cable,

First thing to try though is a hard reset.
Take the bench panel off - the seat is just Velcro’d down, and then take the black plastic cover off the boiler, under it you will see a red switch which you just need to toggle to do a hard reset.

If the error code comes back it’s a trip to the dealer I’m afraid.

Defo too much draw then yes!

I was thinking 2kwh powergen plus 300w solar. I’ll have another read around the threads on here.
Have you looked at the roof yet? I'd be amazed if you can get 300w of solar on it.

I have the OEM panel on the front and am adding 2 x 50 watt panels to the roof which by my measurements are the only sizes that will fit.

Have you looked at the roof yet? I'd be amazed if you can get 300w of solar on it.

I have the OEM panel on the front and am adding 2 x 50 watt panels to the roof which by my measurements are the only sizes that will fit.
I know that won’t go on the roof. I was thinking separate panels. So only charge when parked.

Ooh that doesn’t sound good E622H is a defective control panel cable,

First thing to try though is a hard reset.
Take the bench panel off - the seat is just Velcro’d down, and then take the black plastic cover off the boiler, under it you will see a red switch which you just need to toggle to do a hard reset.

If the error code comes back it’s a trip to the dealer I’m afraid.
Thanks for this. So it’s defective from the first time gas has been connected, definitely suboptimal‍:)

I emailed Truma, but I’ll try and find time to hard reset today. Many thanks.

Last edited:
I know that won’t go on the roof. I was thinking separate panels. So only charge when parked.
Hi take a look at this video; I posted a thread with a link; with additional solar on the roof of a 680.
We had a few stressful issues when we first bought our demo vehicle from the other end of the country but they can all be resolved.
Good luck
Grand California +LifePo4 Lithium + Fahrwerk + LTE + Solar +Victron ELECHCamperTV

I watched that with auto translate, it was quite the feat and effort. Not sure it was a resounding endorsement to do it though! I would like to be as sensitive as possible to the warranty and not attract undue attention!

Thanks for this. So it’s defective from the first time gas has been connected, definitely suboptimal‍:)

I emailed Truma, but I’ll try and find time to hard reset today. Many thanks.
Truma are very helpful if you call.

They have responded with " take back to dealer..." I think I'm going to need to retire to find the time to commission it.... I will try a hard reset first.

Back