Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Your starter for ten...

HughS

HughS

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hello everyone. Just signed up to the club and having spent some weeks marvelling at the sheer amount of wisdom on offer now have a question...
How hard is it to replace privacy glass with ordinary (probably double glazed) windows ? We want clear glass but privacy seems to be ubiquitous.
Answers on a post please. Ta . H

Hello Welcome to the forum ----Gold fish bowl comes to mind. can't answer on the cost but it will cost you in the future due to resale value. Everyone and their auntie will be looking at you if remove the privacy glass.

Many thanks Meoncoast. Plus also the privacy glass keeps the temperature down on sunny days. But it is gloomy. I guess buying second hand the resale issue is factored in but buying with privacy and then incurring expense to downgrade is silly.

I got my 2012 SE as ex demo and got clear windows , asked for a swap but was told better leave to leave it.
It would mean taking off a lot of the insinde panels and trims , risking damage and ratlles afterwarts . Was not told a price but would not be cheap .
Think you have to do with them.

Hello everyone. Just signed up to the club and having spent some weeks marvelling at the sheer amount of wisdom on offer now have a question...
How hard is it to replace privacy glass with ordinary (probably double glazed) windows ? We want clear glass but privacy seems to be ubiquitous.
Answers on a post please. Ta . H

Welcome!

Have you seen a California with privacy glass in real life? It's hardly gloomy, never heard that mentioned before to be honest.

I find privacy glass essential. I would go nuts without it.

I too have never found the interior of the Cali gloomy, especially with the bellows 'windows" open, but the idea of living my non-driving life with the world and his wife from miles away being able to see in would not make me a happy camper.

The level of tint varies hugely depending on the year of the van, ours is a 2015 spec and the factory tint is light enough for it to be almost unnoticable looking out from the inside. If like us you use an awning on one side, leave the cooker lid open on the other & have the rear seat up with headrestraints upright, there is actually very little window left to look out of other than the cab & thats not privacy glass anyway.

Other years had a far darker level of tinting.

We opted for privacy glass and I was disappointed in the level of tint - not as dark as in previous years but it's not a massive issue. We are considering window tinting at some time in the future to make it a shade or two darker as our van is parked on the roadside and anyone walking past can see right in. We are very careful though not to leave belongings in full view.

Another +1 for privacy glass...and I'll be honest I don't really like the image of dark glass in cars. But in terms of using the Cali in camping mode; essential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes! dark/tinted glass! I've done it afterwards on a 10years old Cali. Now we like it! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443777928.928206.jpg

We had tinted film fitted all round except for the front windows, cheaper than double glazed units and can be taken off if needed.

John

It really is privacy glass in daylight. We've had several people come right up to the window to peek in as they can't see us having a cuppa:)
However during the evening,people can see in, if the interior lights are on.
Not too much a problem as the blinds are usually in use as soon as it's dark