Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flexible roof light replacement bulbs

P

paulg

VIP Member
Hi

I've only used our new van 3 times and already the flexible roof light has stopped working. Can't see any damage at all so suspect the halogen bulb has gone. I'm having trouble finding replacements. Can anyone suggest anywhere? It looks unusual!

Paul

It's a torch bulb rather than an automotive bulb... think I got mine from B&Q quite a few years ago...

Modified it over 4 years ago with a 4 LED G4 LED... much better, lower power usage, brighter and doesn't get hot! :)

But hold replacing the bulb.
The switch and flexistem are due to go very soon if you've used it as much as 3 times :oops:

I don't use the roof light often, but I worry about it a lot!
Especially every time I close the sliding blind & wonder again if I have really properly turned it off, so it won't burn the mattress...

So I would be very interested in replacing the 5w bulb by a LED which I suppose would never get hot enough to do any damage (?).

I just took the old bulb out to see what it looks like & it is an Osram 64111 as shown here:
http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products ... =ZMP_60882

Has anybody found a DROP-IN LED replacement for this bulb?
I read that SimplyDubs had replaces his by a G4 LED but that does not look too obvious.
The LEDs I can easily find all seem to have a head diameter bigger than the bulb base diameter, so would not assemble into the VW lamp.

Would this fit a 2008? Not sure if there has been any change in design since then.

Roof light. LED bulbs from Amazon. Purchased these from amazon and they fit my 2009 SE perfect. They are an excellent low wattage replacement. About £13 a pair.

OSRAM LEDriving LED Retrofit T4W interior lights 3850CW-02B Cool White 6000K 80% less power consumption in double blister https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0088XQ49C/ ... Oub1CMC2WT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the Osram and the Amazon links and the confirmation. Order placed!

I received 2x Osram LEDriving T4W bulbs today & even they don't fit...

Just to be clear, this is a 2013 Cali & it seems earlier ones were different.
This is the lamp, showing the 3-position switch - On / Off / Open.
lamp_out_zps40648097.jpg

This shows the lamp open, with the original bulb assembled head-first through the 9mm (approx) hole & showing the new LED which looks as though it should fit.
lamp_in_zpsd67a7487.jpg

But it doesn't (quite) get through the hole.

I decided to remove the plastic cap (not needed??) but started by carefully filing its diameter down.
After a couple of shots, it now does assemble & works OK.

So - not a Drop-In.
But close.

Still looking for a better solution...

I fitted mine today and I must admit I shoved hard and all of a sudden - pop. I thought I had broken something but it seems OK. Nice bright light.

I wondered about shoving hard, but then wondered how I would pull it back without bending the contacts if I ever needed to replace it...

ChrisandPenney52 said:
I agree. I'm sure you were wiser than me!
Sure! :cool:

On the other hand, if you use the lamp as much as us (less than 10 minutes per year?) then the 5000 hours life means you should expect to need to change the bulb in 30,000 years...
Hardly worth worrying about, really!

Bought these and fitted today excellent didn't take too much effort to push in.

This post is very interesting and helpful!
My flexi light broke in the summer (the glass/plastic cover fell out)
I was always worried that i would leave it on and it would melt something.......guess what happened? It melted a waterproof cover which I had put over the mattress.
Luckily nothing worse but yesterday I opened the hatch and it was bloody on again!!!! I moved the light and I think it blew the bulb, but it wouldn't turn on again.
Today I tried turning one of the rear lights on above the sink.....nothing! All the inside lights had died, so I checked the fuse and it had blown. Changed the fuse and all the lights now work apart from the flexi light.
How the hell do you get that bulb out???

This post is very interesting and helpful!
My flexi light broke in the summer (the glass/plastic cover fell out)
I was always worried that i would leave it on and it would melt something.......guess what happened? It melted a waterproof cover which I had put over the mattress.
Luckily nothing worse but yesterday I opened the hatch and it was bloody on again!!!! I moved the light and I think it blew the bulb, but it wouldn't turn on again.
Today I tried turning one of the rear lights on above the sink.....nothing! All the inside lights had died, so I checked the fuse and it had blown. Changed the fuse and all the lights now work apart from the flexi light.
How the hell do you get that bulb out???
showing the 3-position switch -On / Off / Open.
lamp_out_zps40648097-jpg.4291

Turn it to the position with the 2 arrows and pull the back off the bulb is removed from here not the front. Hope this helps

Thanks VW Kid, I will have a look in the morning.
Although I don't think it will switch into that position

Thanks VW Kid, I will have a look in the morning.
Although I don't think it will switch into that position
It will just a little more pressure required. BTW the LED bulbs are great

Hi all! My reading light doesnt work. Is there a fuse connected to this?

Ah! - thank you!

Yes, that (Osram LEDriving T4W - Premium) seems to be the right replacement & should fit:
http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products ... MP_1024990

Pity they only come in pairs!
And with extra postage to France...
Still, if I can't find a better offer, I will give that one a go.

Thanks!
Ii replaced mine with this lamp and has been great for the last two years. Just make sure you choose the correct colour. I went for warm white! (Around 3000k colour temperature)

Hi ,
Apart from the bulb does anybody know how to get access to the two wires at the bulb end?
One is loose up there!!
Cheers

20230712_111924.jpg

Back