Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insurers - who are you with?

Got a great deal with Safeguard. Parked on the street and used for commuting. Neither were a problem. Really really helpful and a massively reasonable quote! Very happy!

sue.h said:
we used zurich and they only have 5 days (if i remember correctly) of european cover and after that its extra charge (and it was well over £400 with 7 years no claims)

so we are looking for a company that offers at least 50 days, pref 90, european cover as standard. any ideas please?
Careful with Zurich, I initially went to them and they quoted me for a 5 door van (which a Cali has 4) when I pointed this out, they refused to insure me. The previous owners had used Zurich and I was told that their insurance would have been void. They had all the correct details for the van on their system so I'm not sure why they couldn't change the number of doors!

jonesey said:
I don't mind seeing the quotes and I think mine is the highest figure so far! :)

Can't remember who I'm with but I'm paying about £400 for 3k miles, no business etc. so I would stay away from them but they were the only people I could find to insure me on the day I bought it!!!

After looking for quotes following this forum thread, I'm having real issues again getting quotes. They're all saying that my Cali is worth too much and needs a tracking device and a thatcham c1, which will be more expensive than the years quote.

Anyone else had these problems and what did you do about it? :headbang

i phoned the vw main dealer and they are going to give me a document (may be brochure, not sure yet) that confirms the cali is fitted with thatcham cat 1

no tracker though

hope that helps

sue

Berghaus 2012 ,with £1000 worth of sat nav cover ,including business cover (class 1 )
Comfort insurances £276.00 . 8000 miles limit . 2 named drivers and no need to worry about the fact that my no claims was being used on other vehicles as comfort do not offer a no claims scheme (strange but true).
Really helpful and confirmed my on line quote over the phone and set up within 5 minutes . :clap

When we acquired the Cali, to get multicar discount, we tried the insurers of our two existing vehicles. Ended up with direct line because admiral/elephant couldn't get their system to quote for it. Direct line do cover all fixtures as fitted by VW. We are paying a bit extra to cover a three week trip to France.

Another Comfort recruit. £349 with 10,000 miles, 2 drivers and business cover, we have one claim in the last 5 years for storm damage.

We got the free VW 7 days insurance cover, they wanted £1300 to continue for the full year! Although they have the nicest people in the call centre I didn't think it was worth 900+ quid!

T

we eventually went with the caravan club
4 named drivers,
sdp only
270 days european cover
protected no claims
legal protection
10000 miles
parked on drive
2011 180
£345

Adrian Flux. Good cover, all Europe and they have great breakdown cover as well (don't ask me how I know). I can thoroughly recommend them.

greyplague said:
Adrian Flux. Good cover, all Europe and they have great breakdown cover as well (don't ask me how I know). I can thoroughly recommend them.

Mixed feeling over mr flux I'm afraid..
3rd strike and they where out forever ..

Unfortunately Flux are one of the few companies that will quote for an imported LHD vehicle with a modified engine (physically modified, not chipped), with an agreed value, at a reasonable price.

The C&CC quoted, but apologied before giving me the quote :D

If anyone can suggest an alternative that will cover such a van, I'd love to hear. I hate the yearly round of not getting called back by insurers.

Hi, All

We've been with Comfort for the past year but now coming up for renewal. In the past someone has mentioned that Comfort will not allow you to leave the van unattended on a campsite to go trekking or similar for long periods of time, so I thought I would enquire from Comfort about this matter before accepting their renewal, as we may well do some trekking next year.

It transpires that the maximum amount of time you can leave the van unattended is 36 hours. This also includes public car parks and not just campsites etc. Therefore when we left the van for 2 weeks recently in the long stay car park of Gatwick Airport it was not covered by an insurance policy :sad

Their renewal premium was approx £450 which was for unlimited mileage, commuting and comprehensive cover. There was no option to leave the van on the road at night under any circumstances.

I have now been in contact with Camping and Caravanning Club. They say that there is no restriction on leaving the van unattended just so long as it is locked etc etc and they give the option for keeping the van on the road at night. Their quote for on the driveway at night is £430 but £690 if kept on the road. Not surprisingly we are going to keep the van on the drive at night but it is nice to know if circumstances change we could opt to keep it on the road.

Caveat emptor!

Jonathan

Think you will find the 36 hour rule does NOT apply to the UK....

Just when your abroad......

Just gone back to Comfort for £397 after one year with C&C Club who wanted best part of £800 to renew! :eek:
I had to make a claim for damage to my company car after some twonk reversed into it and left no details a couple of years and also had to claim last year after hitting debris on the motorway in Belgium (5k damage) so was expecting the worst!

Overall quite pleased to get sub £400. :goodone

Ps. asked the call centre about the 36 hour rule, apparently it does apply in the UK.

I did not go to Comfort after they confirmed on the phone that the 36 hour rule does apply, so, no leaving the van at the airport while you go on holiday.
Went to the Camping and Caravan club, £297 inc £20 for legal fees (not sure why I do that) value £40k, cover when you park it, 10 to 15k miles per year and I am 69. Oh and cover abroad too.

But beware, if the value was over £40k they wanted me to put a lockable post in the drive to stop it being stolen. Which is a bit of a problem as we use it as our main car so just not not practical.

The 36 hours does NOT apply to the UK.

And you get 365 days a year cover abroad as long as you are resident in the UK.

They were pretty definite that it did apply when i spoke to them Bernd but that was a year or so ago, maybe they have changed the policy.

Nope I have been with them since I got Cali in 2010. It's always been that way.

yes we were so concerned about zurich that we didnt renew with them. besides the huge added extra for continental use, they had our model wrong and couldnt change it - they said "dont worry" but we did of course. (we have a 2011 180 and they had it down as 2011 140) . then we made a tick list from all the replies in this thread, which were 'must have' and 'opps dont want' items (such as must have no claims) and eventually got a quote which we accepted, from the caravan club.

Rozzie50 said:
sue.h said:
we used zurich and they only have 5 days (if i remember correctly) of european cover and after that its extra charge (and it was well over £400 with 7 years no claims)

so we are looking for a company that offers at least 50 days, pref 90, european cover as standard. any ideas please?
Careful with Zurich, I initially went to them and they quoted me for a 5 door van (which a Cali has 4) when I pointed this out, they refused to insure me. The previous owners had used Zurich and I was told that their insurance would have been void. They had all the correct details for the van on their system so I'm not sure why they couldn't change the number of doors!

BerndRos said:
The 36 hours does NOT apply to the UK.

And you get 365 days a year cover abroad as long as you are resident in the UK.

That's not what they told me yesterday morning BR, it's all very confusing isn't it? :?

Hmmm

That's what they told me, and it confirms this in the policy booklet....

Re the 36 hours....

Hi

We're trying to insure our new Cali. We'll be using it for business, we're photographers and working throughout the UK.

I can see some posts here that say Comfort have business use, but they have told us that they will not insure for business use. Do you guys mean commuting when you say business use?

We've spent ages trying to get suitable insurance, surely it can't be that difficult - totally sick of filling in forms :crazy

Jo

Ours is business use with comfort as well as social use ...