Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insurers - who are you with?

As my insurance is due for renewaL in a few days I have been trying to get a better quote than my Clubcare renewal.
Safeguard have just told me that on their SDL&P with commuting I can not carry any passengers on my commute to & from work. This is getting rediculas now.

drive mine daily, park on drive - admiral £200 - with plenty of euro time that can be extended - i haven`t restricted the miles - got price on go-compare.

I've just been told by Comfort that they won't insure me because I park the van on the road overnight. Anyone had similar problems? If you have, who did you go with in the end?

caliowner said:
drive mine daily, park on drive - admiral £200 - with plenty of euro time that can be extended - i haven`t restricted the miles - got price on go-compare.

Don't mean to worry you but do Admiral cover all the kitchen stuff ?? Is it a camper van specific policy like Comfort, Safeguard, Scenic & Camping & Caravan Club insurance ?

Rozzie50 said:
I've just been told by Comfort that they won't insure me because I park the van on the road overnight. Anyone had similar problems? If you have, who did you go with in the end?

Probably due to your post code ??

Have you tried Safeguard, Scenic & Camping & Caravan Club insurance ?

Andy said:
Rozzie50 said:

Probably due to your post code ??

Have you tried Safeguard, Scenic & Camping & Caravan Club insurance ?

Going to give them a go tomorrow. Cheers!

Just got our renewal through. Have been using Saga because of their included European cover and are old fogies ;)

Mileage 11.000 a year, live in West Wales, Kept on driveway

Previous years has been around £200 a year this year has jumped to £311

Got more quotes Aviva (Comfort) £300

Caravan and Camping Club £302.14

I'm presuming the jump this year is because the vehicle is in the Wife's name/main driver and female policies have risen because of the equality legislation?

Rozzie50 said:

I also park on the road. Year 1 insurance was with Comfort and they didn't have an issue with this. On Year 2 renewal, they advised that they no longer provided cover if parked on the road, but they would honour the server of cover for existing customers.

Steve

I just received what seemed like a competitive quote from VW insurance. So far so good, but then I thought I’d double check the 'do they cover the camping kit question'.
To my surprise it seems VW are also taking the line that they wont cover it. On a conversion I could understand that position but on their own Cali’s, very disappointing.

Staveley head I got it for £185 fully comp includuding awning and keys and £5000 worth of content.

kernow said:
I just received what seemed like a competitive quote from VW insurance. So far so good, but then I thought I’d double check the 'do they cover the camping kit question'.
To my surprise it seems VW are also taking the line that they wont cover it. On a conversion I could understand that position but on their own Cali’s, very disappointing.

What did VW say they wouldn't cover exactly? I am insured with them and on the grounds that they know what my vehicle is (they did build it after all) I presumed the whole vehicle was covered. I can't find anything in their policy details excluding the camper bit.

Andy

Hi Andy
I was told they don’t cover fixtures and fittings other than a factory fitted stereos.

I asked what would happen in the event of an accident where I was hit on the passenger side causing damage to kitchen units inside, and was told (following a check with their underwriters) that the outside base van was covered but not repairs to the internals, cooker etc if they were damaged. The lady explained that if I had got a base van and had a 3rd party conversion done, then it wouldn’t be covered and this was the same.
Of course I expressed surprise given that VW ensure a Cali and know full well it is a camper. She did confirm that if my imaginary accident caused it to be written off within the 1st year, then it would be replaced with a new a new Cali (not just a van).

Personally I would have been happy to pay a ‘little’ more to know that I was ensured by people who knew exactly what a Cali was and it was properly covered, but this raises doubts. I can’t recall the exact discussion the last time I got a quote from VW back in March, but I came away with the impression that they covered everything which is why I came back now I’m due for renewal. Perhaps things have changed, perhaps I’ve spoken to two people with a different view of the level of cover.
I would suggest double checking yourself and please post the answer you get.

Having looked again at the policy wording today, I can’t see anything that excludes camping kit or for that matter specifically includes it. I did find this statement ‘We will pay for loss or damage to Your Vehicle up to the Market Value of Your Vehicle, including its spare parts or accessories (products designed to be fitted or used only in or on a vehicle)’. To my mind the camping interior of the Cali should fall within this definition so I think I’ll call back to double check this with someone else.

It would be totally ridiculous if vw didn't cover internal items.what about a fire :?:
I think it needs clarifying :thumb

Our insurance renewal on Beach 5 seater 140 (2 seat rear bench +1) is now due.
VW (Allianz ) quote £352.56 which is an increase of about 17% from last year. This still appears reasonable for 2 named drivers, 15,000 miles p.a. 60 days Foreign travel, Free courtsey car,and business use, so we stay with them.

Am taking delivery of a 2013 California SE 180 this week and I have had a quote from Comfort at £236.10 fully comp
- Up to 5000 miles
- SDP only - no travelling to work
- full European cover (but don't sell you home!)
- £3,000 contents cover
- No breakdown cover - that's £58 more

280 with Safeguard with 3 years NCB and no accidents or fines in last 5 years.

Fully comp
UK and European Roadside assist
Unlimited miles
Unlimited time in Europe
Not commuting

Added 20 to protect NCB.

Have only ever claimed a windscreen replacement with them but they were very good.

Important point for those insuring for limited milage.

Write down the milage at the beginning of the insurance period.

One month to go and I'm not sure if I've got 78 miles left, or 478...

I've had several quotes so far Admiral have come out the best at £185 that's with protected NCD 90 days European cover Sdp and commuting, VW have come back with £372 and Comfort for some reason can't quote on a Beach :D

Timbo said:
Am taking delivery of a 2013 California SE 180 this week and I have had a quote from Comfort at £236.10 fully comp
- Up to 5000 miles
- SDP only - no travelling to work
- full European cover (but don't sell you home!)
- £3,000 contents cover
- No breakdown cover - that's £58 more

Just had my comfort renewal come through my premium is pretty much identical to yours.
I'm sure my premium includes business use though.
I noticed in the accompanying letter they made a point of saying that they will keep a record of no claims discounts if you have them from your previous insurer so you don't lose them if you subsequently leave.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Calikev said:
It would be totally ridiculous if vw didn't cover internal items.what about a fire :?:
I think it needs clarifying :thumb

Pleased to report that when I double checked VW confirmed that they do cover the Cali properly. Basically as long as it was factory fitted, like the Cali interior and any options, then they cover it.
I was told the info I had been given before related to 3rd party conversions (which is fair enough).

The cost quoted was the same as Direct Line (£370) for 10k miles/year, SDP + commuting, parked on drive.

Hi all,

Anyone had reasonable quotes for on-road parking in London?
I've been quoted about £550 (or £580 with protected no claims) by Safeguard, which though it's significantly more than most on here, does seem fairly reasonable for on-road in London.
VW quoted £1000!
Cheers
Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I don't mind seeing the quotes and I think mine is the highest figure so far! :)
Hi, do you still have a Cali parked on the road in Manchester? We are just about to get one and struggling with insurance. Would be great if you have any tips?

Admiral £230. But how I got there was painfully tortuous.

Last year I paid about £230 but my renewal quote was £400. When I asked why the huge increase I was just told a lot of guff so I declined the renewal. A couple of days later I got an unsolicited email from MoneySupermarket with a few quotes and by a strange coincidence Admiral were the best (by about 5p) at £190. So I called Admiral and after the usual long-winded conversation, during which I was given eight different quotes ranging between £190 and £260, we eventually got to £230.

Then the whole cycle of renewal quote, guff, random pricing, more guff was repeated for my wife's car. In Admirals's defence I can say all this was delivered with charm, patience, and politeness!

I'm positively looking forward to doing my tax return after this experience.