Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.4%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.4%

• Total voters
Hi All
Has anyone else been notified on a new fix method for the roof corrosion problem. Ive had an email from Shorade this morning with whom our van is booked in for a fix on the 1st Nov informing me that a new fix involves bonding a PU cap over the old roof unit!!! This is in place from 1 August. We have turned down a fix date in July as it clashed with our summer holiday - in the Cali - and now really unhappy as we were previously advised that the roof would be replaced, along with bellows and front panel.......Not very happy at the moment. Does anyone have any idea what this PU cap involves? Doesn't sound that great to me...
So they're putting a hat on it? :D

Can anyone explain what this new process is and how the work involved differs?

The German magazine Promobil in April had a story on the new repair method.

http://www.promobil.de/ratgeber/kor...pezielle-reparaturmethode-von-vw-6763281.html

Translated: "The damaged piece is cut out of the aluminum spoiler. A plastic cap is placed allover the complete spoiler."

Here's the picture from the magazine, that shows how the plastic denture makes the spoiler raise about half a CM above the lifting roof:

Korrosionsschaeden-am-Spoiler--fotoshowBigImage-5885c4b-248035.jpg

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

http://www.promobil.de/ratgeber/kor...pezielle-reparaturmethode-von-vw-6763281.html

Translated: "The damaged piece is cut out of the aluminum spoiler. A plastic cap is placed allover the complete spoiler."

Here's the picture from the magazine, that shows how the plastic denture makes the spoiler raise about half a CM above the lifting roof:

View attachment 15136

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.
Interesting photo on the same website of a two tone Cali with colour keyed roof bellows. Looks smart!

Link here

View attachment 15136

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

It will be interesting to see when if ever new Calis are supplied with the plastic capping from the factory.

Is this an admission of failure of the original roof design and the current repair procedure ?

All we need now is a fibre glass/plastic lifting section of the roof and all will be well in Cali roof land.

All we need now is a fibre glass/plastic lifting section of the roof and all will be well in Cali roof land.
I guess as long as it puts an end to the issue all is well and good, although it does rather question the idea that aluminium was used for strength vs the grp that has been used without problems for 25 years.

Just spoken to Shorrade checking the progress on my Cali roof repair and they confirmed that they are awaiting the training and then will be fitting the plastic cappings.

Just spoken to Shorrade checking the progress on my Cali roof repair and they confirmed that they are awaiting the training and then will be fitting the plastic cappings.
With regards to the application process , do our existing applications stand or do we have to go through it all again as stated in an earlier post?
I have been waiting patiently for two years in the que for the works ti be carried out.
So far i havnt got wound up about it , but if its back to square one my attitude will definately change.

Just glad our repair has just been undertaken by AB Crush, if this "plastic" cover over is just covering the problem over without dealing the underlying issue do not feel I would be very happy. It is like stitching up a wound without removing something stuck in it.

With regards to the application process , do our existing applications stand or do we have to go through it all again as stated in an earlier post?
I have been waiting patiently for two years in the que for the works ti be carried out.
So far i havnt got wound up about it , but if its back to square one my attitude will definately change.

Sorry but we didn't discuss that aspect of the repair but if everybody has to resubmit their claims then all the repair centres will be stood doing nothing until the paperwork catches up, but then again nothing would surprise me with Vw!
Give your nominated repair centre a ring to get it from the horses mouth so to speak.

Just took a peek under the seal on the lifting section of the roof on the loan Cali while mine is being repaired. It's a march registered 2015 and it has bubbling on both sides.

Another one for them to repair!

Does any T6 owner dare to look under the seal....?

Has anyone else had this email?? Reviewed rhis morning. Very disappointing!

Dear Mr Chapman

It is with much regret that I have to cancel your booking on 18th August for your warranty repair.

Unfortunately, Volkswagen UK have decided from 1st August 2016 the repair method and administration for the warranty repair will change. Should you require any clarification on this, please could I ask you to speak to your van centre or VW customer Services on 0800 333666.

I can only apologise Mr Chapman on behalf of Volkswagen for the inconvenience caused.

I can't believe what I have just read, that VW are now expecting owners to resubmit an application and go back and start it process all over again. THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!

I would suggest that you get this in writing (email) just to confirm that someone hasn't got this totally wrong. Then Contact VW Customer Care Manager, Dominic Stevenson, who is the point of contact for the California Forum on 0800 783 4909 and start doing some shouting.

I'm also very disturbed to hear about this PU caping, having fought so hard back in 2013 to establish a proper repair process, I certainly wouldn't be happy if this was was being offered to me as a fix.
Hi Susibus,

I spoke to VW Customer Services this morning and apparently Dominic Stevenson has now left the company. I was told they do not have a manager that deals specifically with the California and Stevenson's replacement is Ben Taylor and he is not very helpful, well wasn't in my case.

Alan

They really are special when it comes to customer service relations/communications!
Onwards and upwards (i hope)

You may be lucky. Let's hope this means they have a new method of fixing the problem as the current repairs do not always seem to last for long.

The new 'fix' is a plastic cover stuck over the top.

? is it a better fix or a cheaper fix

I was told they do not have a manager that deals specifically with the California and Stevenson's replacement is Ben Taylor and he is not very helpful, well wasn't in my case.
Very unfair repair process changed no VW statement as to how it will work why it is better and change the named manager an not replace with him a dedicated California manager. " stuff you T5 California owners we sell the T6 now"

+! for THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE

Maybe time for owners to see about a class action, according to the 2015 Consumers Act its now available.
I know of no further details. Only read recently that some chap is taking Mastercard to court over charges from late 1990s to 2007.

Back