Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.4%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.4%

• Total voters
Just been on to VWCS. As not heard a squeak in over a year... They said I am 24 at Benfields. Called the latter to confirm.... They said 163! Also only had the cab part authorised not the raising roof... The cab was submitted to VWCS first time 3 years ago, took 3 attempts for it to be register d properly, then got the raising roof corrosion registered 15 months ago...... So at 163, doing 1 van a week, means a mere 2+ years to wait.... So 5 years in total.....

Roof is not replaced unless VW say to replace it.
Correct, mine was repainted by VW bodyshop and original Bellows refitted.
They did a good job with bellows, you cannot tell they have been refitted and they were less than 12 months old anyway. The only moan I have is my dealer seems very reluctant to provide me with any paper work to confirm I have had the work done. Each time I ring they promise to send something out but nothing arrives. I will need to go in person and not leave until I get it. It's just annoying having to travel for over an hour for something they could post.

Correct, mine was repainted by VW bodyshop and original Bellows refitted.
They did a good job with bellows, you cannot tell they have been refitted and they were less than 12 months old anyway. The only moan I have is my dealer seems very reluctant to provide me with any paper work to confirm I have had the work done. Each time I ring they promise to send something out but nothing arrives. I will need to go in person and not leave until I get it. It's just annoying having to travel for over an hour for something they could post.
Very annoying. I suspect if you email the sales manager for an appointment to collect they will miraculously appear.

How long are people waiting for a repair?
Our 2012 Cali has just be done By AB Crush (a month ago) it took about 18 months from reporting to fix

My understanding is that when the roof repair is done, the bellows are always replaced because of the difficulty of removing and replacing them without damage.

When SusiBus T5 was repaired at AB Crush, they didn't provide any paperwork of verification that the corrosion had been repaired. I didn't know that this was being provided by any of the repair shops.

My understanding is that when the roof repair is done, the bellows are always replaced because of the difficulty of removing and replacing them without damage.

When SusiBus T5 was repaired at AB Crush, they didn't provide any paperwork of verification that the corrosion had been repaired. I didn't know that this was being provided by any of the repair shops.
That's interesting, like I say they refitted mine no problem. Maybe if they had damaged them on removal it would have been different. The bellows had been replaced not that long ago by the same dealer under because of damage and still look good as new so I didn't make a fuss.

When I asked about warranty the dealer told me the paint shop provide a 2 year warranty on their work so I wanted something on paper to show when the work was done and by whom, I don't trust the dealers computer system either as records can go missing. However, regardless of this I should still have a further 3 years warranty on the roof anyway as my van is a 2013.

Collected our van from Sowton Body Repairs in Exeter yesterday. I also popped in during the week they had the van to see what work they were doing and took some photos. So far everything seems OK, they removed the roof and gave it a complete respray after rubbing down and priming. They had a problem with the bellows which got damaged, so I now have a new T6 version bellows the same as Tangle Foot.

IMGP3485.JPG IMGP3486.JPG IMGP3487.JPG IMGP3487.JPG

If the bodyshop have done the repair to the VW specification then VW pay to have it done again because the VW spec isn't in some circumstances solving the problem.

Been waiting 2 years . My progress up the queue appears negligible. It is clear VW (UK) is managing their warranty work to keep it within an annual spend budget to allow them to manage profit margin.
Ever hopeful.
Tanto

How different are the T6 bellows. I've got my T5 Cali going into Sowton bodyshop for the same roof corrosion repair later this summer.

How different are the T6 bellows. I've got my T5 Cali going into Sowton bodyshop for the same roof corrosion repair later this summer.

Our new bellows from AB Crush a couple of months ago are the same as original set

I contacted the company (ABC Crush Panelcraft) who said they would be completing my corrosion work in a letter in 2014. I have written to them but still have not heard anything. Has anyone had this company complete their work? Are they still in business or just overloaded?

I contacted the company (ABC Crush Panelcraft) who said they would be completing my corrosion work in a letter in 2014. I have written to them but still have not heard anything. Has anyone had this company complete their work? Are they still in business or just overloaded?

Our 2012 Cali has just be done By AB Crush (a month ago) it took about 18 months from reporting to fix

Re AB Cush they were going strong a couple of months ago. Google them you will find their website never had a letter from them only email and phone calls (the only letter was from VW saying on the repair was approved and on waiting list).

I would either email them or give them a ring

Re AB Cush they were going strong a couple of months ago. Google them you will find their website never had a letter from them only email and phone calls (the only letter was from VW saying on the repair was approved and on waiting list).

I would either email them or give them a ring
Thanks. I did email them. I will follow up with a phone call. However, just reading the information about the corrosion returning after treatment.l!!

Just got my T5 back from Shorrard's today - nice and shiny. Popped the roof and the new T6 bellows have been fitted. Not sure whether to be pleased or disappointed. Only time will tell.

We are soooo annoyed frustrated angry fed up upset distressed (oh and this is also the polite version) we dropped off TT on may 19th and were told 2-3 weeks......we had to fight to get a replacement cali even though this was arranged 2 years ago and re checked by phone 2 weeks before we dropped our van off.... now it seems as well as the front panel and roof needing to be repainted we also needed a new 'headlining' which is on back order...... our local vw where we reported the paintwork to originally told us that everything was authorised, but the body shop said they needed auth from their local vw to order the part - which will arrive god knows when, and all the time we only get told what is going on when we chase for an update........ its now very unlikely we will have TT back for the cali meet next week......everyone seems to be fobbing us off....... we REALLY UPSET AT VW as a whole, what absolute crap service, they take our hard earned cash...... over 10 years they have this known paint issue and still cannot get it right - the body shop has just told us they have had to redo another roof cause it didn't work ARRGGHHHHH

Thank you for reading as please let us know if your service has been just as diabolical

PS where do you think they get there paint from as it doesn’t not seem to want to stick to the metal- MARS ?

Toot toot who is your body shop. I cant fault the service we had from AB crush from start to finish and all done in under 2 weeks

I must agree with Meoncoast, we also had first class service from AB Crush, but this does highlight that if your roof is in for repair, make sure that both fixed front panel and the elevated section have been checked before golng into the bodyshop, which doesn't seem to always happen, then get an email to confirm that authorisation has been granted by VW for both repair if required.

We also suffered a considerable delayed waiting for authorisation from VW, but luckily it was in November /January when we didn't require the vehicle. I have sympathy for you waiting for what could be undetermined delay waiting for VW authorisation and parts to arrive.

We are with Poole Accident Repair - and we are the third Cali to be done there.......

We are with Poole Accident Repair - and we are the third Cali to be done there.......

Take it they are one of the new body shop's on the list -- looks like you have had a far from the service we had at AB Crush, not good

I've just had my 2010 van done at Claridges in Southport after originally highlighting the problems to Vindis VW van centre in St Ives, Cambridge back in 2013 (yes almost 3.5 years wait).

The roof and front panel have been done and I have new bellows (T6 I guess as a new material - I like them). Sadly though the underside of the roof and the gutters haven't been touched. I contacted Claridges and they said they hadn't been asked to do the work.

Claridges are now going to send my photos to VW. I will also be talking to Vindis as this is bloody ridiculous. I was originally told I had a 12 year anti corrosion warranty but I see everyone on here talking about 6 years being the cut off. I have until December if that's the case.
DSCF4732.jpgDSCF4734.jpgDSCF4735.jpg

The dealer finally called me to bring the cali for a roof repair next Monday. It will stay there till Thursday. I hope so, because we start holidays next Saturday.

Mine done by AB Crush who did an excellent job. I was also unaware of separate approval for front panel and main roof but lady from AB busted a gut to sort it with VW who accepted main dealer did not do a thorough check or report it properly for the warranty.

We had our Cali lifting roof repaired 1 year ago, couple of weekends ago i was give clean and i pulled the rubber edging back and there are bubbles in numerous places. As you can all imagine not at all happy and would suggest anyone who has had a repair check in same way. I would not have noticed if i hadnt checked under the rubber edging!! Really not sure what the way forward is now, my wife has been onto VW and they are now investigating.

just 2 things
1. WE HAVE OUR TOOT-TOOT BACK AFTER 5 WEEEKS YIPPEEEEEEE:bananadance,
2. apparently all roofs will now have both side awning rails removed to allow for the front panel paint corrosion cut out from left to right, treated, re-welded then painted !!!:Nailbiting

While we were picking our cali up this afternoon the body shop told us they had just received this new instruction with a video to show them how to do it?????? It may have taken them forever to repair ours but its done and we are glad it wont need to be cut and welded........

Back