Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.4%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.4%

• Total voters
I've just had my 2010 van done at Claridges in Southport after originally highlighting the problems to Vindis VW van centre in St Ives, Cambridge back in 2013 (yes almost 3.5 years wait).

The roof and front panel have been done and I have new bellows (T6 I guess as a new material - I like them). Sadly though the underside of the roof and the gutters haven't been touched. I contacted Claridges and they said they hadn't been asked to do the work.

Claridges are now going to send my photos to VW. I will also be talking to Vindis as this is bloody ridiculous. I was originally told I had a 12 year anti corrosion warranty but I see everyone on here talking about 6 years being the cut off. I have until December if that's the case.
View attachment 14485View attachment 14486View attachment 14487

I've been told by Claridges we now need to report this extra corrosion through our own an centre. Brilliant, straight to the back of the queue again.

Only saving grace is that the MD came to one of my Big Green Egg cooking classes and said if I ever had any issues to give him a shout. Let's see how good they are.

I've been told by Claridges we now need to report this extra corrosion through our own an centre. Brilliant, straight to the back of the queue again.

Only saving grace is that the MD came to one of my Big Green Egg cooking classes and said if I ever had any issues to give him a shout. Let's see how good they are.
Are you pleased with the work they did? Ours is due in this week
Thanks

Are you pleased with the work they did? Ours is due in this week
Thanks

Yes the work they did was good. The van came back spotless. My only disappointment was that they hadn't bother contacting me or VW about the other areas that clearly needed work that my van centre hadn't asked VW to sanction repair for. I now have to join the queue again for this work.

Hello.
Sorry if this is not the correct place to put my question.
I have a VW California since 7-2010 and i have a problem with corrosion bubbles on the Roof.
Who can I go to solve this problem?Still within the factory warranty?
Can you help me please?
Thank you very mutch.
André

I too am in the same situation as you André. In 2015 I approached my local Cali dealer (Indian Queens, Cornwall) to have the corrosion repaired under the 12 year paint warranty. They took photographs, were aware of the 'galvanic' corrosion issue (dissimilar metals reacting) and confident that it would be a warranty issue. A few days later they were very apologetic stating that VW do not consider this to be covered by the paint warranty, despite the fact that the paint surface is broken and would only cover it if it was within 6 years of purchase.
Naturally I am very unhappy about this and would like to know has anyone had any success with legal action against VW? This will likely be my next move so help/information would be greatly appreciated.
Darren

Go to your nearest wv van centre and get the claim started should be fixed in 2 or 3 years

I too am in the same situation as you André. In 2015 I approached my local Cali dealer (Indian Queens, Cornwall) to have the corrosion repaired under the 12 year paint warranty. They took photographs, were aware of the 'galvanic' corrosion issue (dissimilar metals reacting) and confident that it would be a warranty issue. A few days later they were very apologetic stating that VW do not consider this to be covered by the paint warranty, despite the fact that the paint surface is broken and would only cover it if it was within 6 years of purchase.
Naturally I am very unhappy about this and would like to know has anyone had any success with legal action against VW? This will likely be my next move so help/information would be greatly appreciated.
Darren
I would suggest that you return to your Dealership as the Warranty time has been extended to 6 years for the Galvanic Corrosion problem. Phone VW Customer Service and inform them of your previous visit to the Dealership and request that they contact the Dealership and explain the correct procedure.

Darren
If you go to Page 119 , Post 2375 you will see a PDF attachment that you can download and print off. It is a letter from VW to this club explaining about the 6 year warranty for the Roof galvanic corrosion. Take that to the Dealership as well.

Hi All
Has anyone else been notified on a new fix method for the roof corrosion problem. Ive had an email from Shorade this morning with whom our van is booked in for a fix on the 1st Nov informing me that a new fix involves bonding a PU cap over the old roof unit!!! This is in place from 1 August. We have turned down a fix date in July as it clashed with our summer holiday - in the Cali - and now really unhappy as we were previously advised that the roof would be replaced, along with bellows and front panel.......Not very happy at the moment. Does anyone have any idea what this PU cap involves? Doesn't sound that great to me...

Who advised you the roof would be changed?

My Cali is an August 2015 and I've not come across this problem on mine. Should I be looking harder, will it appear over time or am I just lucky?

Who advised you the roof would be changed?
Had clarification from Shorade today that the PU cap is for the front panel corrosion. still far from ideal. the roof and bellows repair remains the same. this we were told previously depends on whether you have corrosion underneath the rubber seal on the top panel, which we do.

My Cali is an August 2015 and I've not come across this problem on mine. Should I be looking harder, will it appear over time or am I just lucky?
I'm not sure whether the 2015 model is affected. Mine is 2012. Worth looking at the panel just above the top edge of the windscreen. The top panel corrosion can't always be seen as hidden under the rubber seal.

I'm not sure whether the 2015 model is affected. Mine is 2012. Worth looking at the panel just above the top edge of the windscreen. The top panel corrosion can't always be seen as hidden under the rubber seal.
I read somewhere that VW sorted out the problem for those California's made from 2013 ? mine is registered March 2013,but it was in the Dealer's January 2013. I found amongst my info a nice yellow card in German the inspection card, with a date that the California was inspected for shipping Sept 2012...Thanks to this site I found my California has the corrosion panel and roof.
I reported to Dealer ( April 2015 ) when van in for service who took photos for VW approval.
After several phone calls from that date,in July 2015 i had it in writing for the approval of the repair.
(I asked for it in writing as the approval to me from VW customer services was via the phone)
VW contacted me again to say I was around 250 on waiting list !
I shall be contacting Roxy at VW customer services soon as she did suggest for me to contact her around March gone this year !
As for yourself it still might be best to keep an eye on things whilst under warranty !

I'm not confident on my 2015 build.:(

Apparently fixed for MY 2015, that means July 2014 onwards. Best to check though. No signs on mine made August 2014.:thumb

Every Cali can get roof corrosion , even those who have had a warrenty fix can and will get it back at some time....and T6 will not stay clear from bubbles on the roof!
The rubber seal arround the roof collects moist-dirt-sand . It scrubs thru the paint and starts the corrosion.
More chance near the rear as with the roof up moist and dirt finds its way down the lower part of the rubber seal.
You need to pull off the rubber and clean it out , check it frequently
Also beween the plastic pice in front of the brandrupprail , where the figure eight slides in , and the front roof spoiler is a risk of friction and wear thru the paint resulting in corrosion.
It is just a bad disign ....
Advise from my VW dealer in Holland:thumb
As we did on my 2012 few weeks ago and .....some light corrosion it is under the rubber seal on the roof:Nailbiting

Hi all

I've just had a call from the garage due to carry out my roof repair next month after a 2 year wait to now say that it can't be carried out as VW are changing the recall/repair process as from the 1 August and that I would need to return to my VW dealer to start the process
all over again and that VW customer services should have notified me in a letter. Anybody else had this?

Not happy

Cheers

Steve

I can't believe what I have just read, that VW are now expecting owners to resubmit an application and go back and start it process all over again. THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!

I would suggest that you get this in writing (email) just to confirm that someone hasn't got this totally wrong. Then Contact VW Customer Care Manager, Dominic Stevenson, who is the point of contact for the California Forum on 0800 783 4909 and start doing some shouting.

I'm also very disturbed to hear about this PU caping, having fought so hard back in 2013 to establish a proper repair process, I certainly wouldn't be happy if this was was being offered to me as a fix.

Every Cali can get roof corrosion , even those who have had a warrenty fix can and will get it back at some time....and T6 will not stay clear from bubbles on the roof!

Sad, but true.
Even until deep in 2015 new Calis showed bubbling.

Our Cali MY 2009 had flowering in the spoiler and on the alu roof. Spoiler and roof were both replaced under warranty by VW Netherlands.

Within two years both spoiler and roof were hit again with bubbles. Initially VW Netherlands refused any responsibility. After some tough negotiations and thanks to our excellent dealer (CCN), the spoiler (that possibly came from an old stock) was replaced again, and the roof was sanded and resprayed.

This second time our dealer used an invention of his own: the edges of the lifting roof were taped after respraying, as to give sand and dirt under the rubber no chance to ruin the lacquer again. Until now no flowering (knock on wood). I was told that VW Germany is now considering to use this tape method for all Calis with cauliflower on the roof.

As HC says: clean the rubber frequently (be careful, though: some dealers have glued the rubber with kit on the roof; do not open this, as it will pull off the lacquer under the rubber seal).

BTW: I'm not sure that T6 are plagued with flowering corrosion. When we visited the Hanover Cali factory last month, we were told that the aluminum in the spoiler is now of a different alloy (without copper, that started the corrosion process under the lacquer).

Stainless regards from Amsterdam,
Marc.

I can't believe what I have just read, that VW are now expecting owners to resubmit an application and go back and start it process all over again. THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!

I would suggest that you get this in writing (email) just to confirm that someone hasn't got this totally wrong. Then Contact VW Customer Care Manager, Dominic Stevenson, who is the point of contact for the California Forum on 0800 783 4909 and start doing some shouting.

I'm also very disturbed to hear about this PU caping, having fought so hard back in 2013 to establish a proper repair process, I certainly wouldn't be happy if this was was being offered to me as a fix.

Yes guys I was less than happy about this proposed new process and the capping and roof repair while in place. Thankfully I have managed to pull my repair forwards before the deadline thanks to a very help garage but I'm so disheartened with VW for this.

@marchugo ,
It was Rob who was asking me have i been suffering roof bubbels...i said no i have not , then he asked the year and i said it was a 2012 we walkt to the Cali opend the roof , he pulled the rubber from the lifting part and .....bam! Bubbles ! He knew exactly where to look ! At the lower part when the roof is up , the rear part where dirt pilies up.
He took pictures and said me he would claim it .
I did not even buy my Cali at thiere place , but in Belgium , but only went once back there for 1st free check up since then go to Amersfoort , they are aces in the bussines and i never go elswhere even if it is a 160km drive one way for me.
Hope they fix the problem soon not that i worry it having roof corrosion but better not having it , he told me tape would go on between the roof and the rubber seal afther a respray of the roof and the plastic trim in front where the figure eight slides in is cut back a bit preventing to scrub against the front spoiler.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Hi SusiBus
I sent you a private message, re: Sat nav, did you get it
Cheers
Timber

Can anyone explain what this new process is and how the work involved differs? My Cali is currently in for repair so assume I am just in the nick of time for the old style repair?

Back