Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.4%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.4%

• Total voters
Andy said:
Martin I have not received a letter.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Andy, I would chase this up as several people I have spoken to who have had their claim accespted then receive a letter from VWCS confirming the repair in writing.

Just had call from VW Wrexham to say say main roof repair authorised. Roof off and respray whole roof. This will be done in their body shop. Am expecting call to book in shortly

The roof blistering has been confirmed as a paint warranty and is subject to a 10 year warranty. Quite pleased about that .....I will be 82 then. No comments please!

Having a new sink unit as well as it's gone spotty!.... Small 2mm circles under the surface.

The warranty for the front panel only has been extended to six years. :D The elevating roof section is covered under the current three years paintwork warranty. Any bodywork repair within VW's paint and bodywork shops is guaranteed for three years from the date of repair.

If you have anything in writing from VW which suggests a 10 year warranty on the elevating roof, please let us know asap because we are in the process of trying to get the warranty for the elevating roof to be increased to six years, the same as the front panel.

SusiBus

Does seem to be considerable confusion around this...not aided by VW comms strategy.

SusiBus said:
Any bodywork repair within VW's paint and bodywork shops is guaranteed for three years from the date of repair.

Is this also confirmed in writing?

I was previously advised that repairs are guaranteed for either:
- End of manufacturers Warranty (be that paintwork or corrosion), or
- 12 months from date of repair
Basically the date which expires last of the above (depending on repair type).

AFAIK it is the same as mechanical warranty whereby you don't get any extra warranty on the replaced part past the end of the vehicle warranty if parts are replaced under warranty.

thanks

Martin said:
Andy said:
Martin I have not received a letter.

Andy, I would chase this up as several people I have spoken to who have had their claim accespted then receive a letter from VWCS confirming the repair in writing.
I have emails from customer services confirming acceptance of both claims but will ask them to confirm in writing

Malc,

did you get any official confirmation re: the 10 year warranty for the blistering on the main roof ? We have a 2007 California - which hasnt any problems on the front of the roof, but has the blistering under the rubber roof trim. Still waiting to hear from VW re: what will happen, but obviously I am hoping it is covered under the 10 year warranty. Unfortunately extending to 6 years may not be enough in my case unless VW show some goodwill - especially as its likely the blistering has been there for a year or two - but only discovered following advice to check on the forum.

Has anyone who reported elevating roof corrosion outside of the 3 year paintwork warranty period had their elevating roof repair authorised?

Not sure whether the warranty runs from build or registration date, but probably vans registered prior to June 2011...

I was called to return for a inspection on the elevation roof, after being there for the front panel inspection.

I asked the VW dealer if VW AG had given any response, but they said that not yet.

Anyway, it seemed to me that the dealer would do the job, even while waiting for the former response from VW AG.

They also told me that they don't want to repair, but change the front panel completly...

Just have to wait some more week's or so...

Best regards

Cláudio

Hi all,
I've have just been informed from my local van center (benfields + Carlisle) that my front roof panel and roof corrosion will NOT be fixed :censor
VW are sticking to the six year corrosion period, with no goodwill, can anyone help or know if I can do anything next.

Your next step would be to speak to VW Customer Care but the repair is only for vehicles under 6 years old.

Good luck

I've spoken to customer services, no joy unfortunately VW are sticking to the six year period with no exceptions, obviously not interested in keeping older vehicles on the road or helping original owners of California's, which by the way I'm not, but now wish I was the owner of a newer vehicle.
Reassuring to know that I'm the proud owner of a £30k van that I will now struggle to sell or trade in for that matter.
Customer services were helpfull in the advice that I could always contact one of the four repair centers for a quote. Couldn't bring myself to offer the advice to :censor
Also said its a defect in the paint galvanising process does anyone know what this means?
Lack of paint? Wrong paint? Or just a rubbish job of applying the paint?
And is there anything that could be done by a professional body shop?

yanathem said:
I've spoken to customer services, no joy unfortunately VW are sticking to the six year period with no exceptions, obviously not interested in keeping older vehicles on the road or helping original owners of California's, which by the way I'm not, but now wish I was the owner of a newer vehicle.
Reassuring to know that I'm the proud owner of a £30k van that I will now struggle to sell or trade in for that matter.
Customer services were helpfull in the advice that I could always contact one of the four repair centers for a quote. Couldn't bring myself to offer the advice to :censor
Also said its a defect in the paint galvanising process does anyone know what this means?

I thaught I saw 12 years waranty somewhere? At least I think VW AG told me at the first visit for inspection...

12 year anti corrosion warranty seems not apply for the front panel and roof and for the life of me cannot understand why manufactures offer a paint warranty just to try every way possible to get out of it????

As requested, here is the official letter from VW, well worth taking this with you to the dealer especially if you are outside of the 3 year warranty.

Thanks for posting the letter Martin.

I had a message from VW Customer Services today telling me to expect a call from AB Crush. The chap at VW has no idea what the repair process will be but at least they haven't forgotten me. :cool:

yanathem said:

I wonder if you would be able to prove it is an inherent manufacturing defect for which on most other vans they have accepted responsibility for - why should yours be any different?

Do you have legal cover with your home insurance?

Back