Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.3%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 248 47.5%

• Total voters
I had the front panel repaired whilst it was in warrantee...done in situ. I have now discovered the bubbling paint at both back corners of the raising roof, by the seal. Ggrrrr! :sad

16/6/2014 I rang VW Customer services was informed my van was covered. As instructed booked my van in to the nearest VW garage for a warranty check 18/6/2104. On the 7/7/2014 got a call from the garage my claim had been refused by the technical dept as the body is only covered for 6 years and my Cali is 6.5 years old. Not very happy I am awaiting VW for conformation because my documents state body corrosion 12 years
gooseyj

I have sent a report in to Watch dog this afternoon 7/7/14, if more of us did this Watch dog might take notice and we might get a resolve ... gooseyd and sorry my Cali is 7.5 years old

On the other I do worry about the effect on residuals of this becoming a Watchdog issue, and a lot of good work that's been done here to date unravelling

On behalf of the California Owners Club, we have now made enquiries to:

1. the Technical Manager re the roof corrosion repair procedure; and

2. VW management re the warranty situation and certain aspects of the repair procedure which don’t seem satisfactory.

I know some members’ posts have been suggesting militant action (ie Watchdog and a viral campaign). We have pointed out to the Managing Director of the VW Group that if we don’t get a satisfactory result, this is a very likely course of action – subtly, I hope and not confrontationally, so we don’t put his back up. We must also remember that bad publicity might mean a rapidly depreciating vehicle that we have all spent a lot of money on.

Contact with anyone in authority at VW has not been easy as the boss at VW Customer Care recently left and also the Director of Commercial Vehicles – the phrase “rats and a sinking ship” comes to mind!

If you do decide to report the issue to Watchdog or mount a viral campaign, please be sure of your facts. Look at the Service Schedule page 31, and I quote in red below:

“Paintwork and body warranty – which states “paint faults and body perforation by rusting for a specified period:

A 3 year warranty on paint defects and

A 12-year rust-through warranty

Here, perforation by rusting refers to rust forming on the inside (cavity) of the car body and causing holes in the sheet metal”

It doesn’t just say 12 year corrosion warranty, it is specific to rust (not aluminium corrosion). Because of the specific situation we face with the aluminium roof and the manufacturing defect of failing to isolate dissimilar metals, we feel VW should offer a specific 12 year warranty to cover the entire aluminium roof.

We will report back, but it won’t be until August as we are continuing our trip round the UK coast until then.

SusiBus

I've just received a call from VWCS. AB Crushcraft will be fixing my van. The repair for the front panel has been submitted & authorised, but the elevating roof issue hadn't been submitted properly, as it needs to be raised with a separate DISS report.

After speaking to the customer services person they said that the elevating roof issue would be resolved by either a repair or a replacement of the roof. The warranty on any repairs would be 2 years, which seems a bit stingy to me.

I did express my concern that a repair consisting of a repaint of the roof probably wouldn't help, as the problem would most likely re-occur, probably just as as it goes out of the 2 year warranty. The type of repair/replacement offered will be dependent on the severity of the corrosion.

Cheers
Dave

The Club has a letter from VW stating:

"As with any bodywork repair within our Paint and Bodywork Network, the workmanship is guaranteed for three years"

This is an extract from VWCORLET.pdf which was attached to Martin's post dated 1 July 2014.

See our post above for the latest situation.

SusiBus

Thanks for that... I suspect the VWCS guy got that wrong. I'll be confirming that when he gets back to me about the elevating roof DISS report.

Cheers
Dave

8/7/14.... Just got a phone call from the local VW garage stating VW Technical dept again refusing to accept my claim saying its a paint defect and not a body defect and as my Cali is 7.5 years old out of warranty. So will have to save up for the repair, which my garage estimate to be in the £1000's. gooseyj

Did you not tell them you are a member of this club? I did

And what did you achieve by telling vw you are a member of this club?

Slightly off topic but a similar corrosion issue existed with the MK5 Golf front wings. A foam pad would hold moisture against a wing causing corrosion. Not sure what the official line from VW was regarding this but I imagine they dealt with it on a case by case basis rather than make a blanket admission of liability. Worth noting that I think they were fixing vehicles well beyond 6 years old, so for those with older vans, don't give up hope just yet. :thumb

http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5/rust_wing/index.php

gooseyj said:
garage estimate to be in the £1000's.
A good body shop should be able to do a great roof repair & respray for under £1000, although I imagine new rubber seals aren't cheap.....although obviously you shouldn't be having to pay this.

Yup it looked like some VW MK5 Golf owners were messed by VWUK around having to threaten small claims courts etc...
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/...-get-rusty-front-wings-replaced-by-volkswagen

Interesting article...
WhichReportVWrepairs_zpsbc0190dd.jpg

I took mine into VW van centre yesterday, to log the problem with bubbling paint on the roof. They photographed it and said I should hear back in about three weeks. Fingers crossed!

Bleur fleur said:
I took mine into VW van centre yesterday, to log the problem with bubbling paint on the roof. They photographed it and said I should hear back in about three weeks. Fingers crossed!

Three weeks?? It should be 3-4 days max, I would given a chase in a few days.

I had to chase vw cs and my van centre and it still took them 6 weeks from taking the photos to being accepted. I think most of that was van centre delays.

Ours was photographed on the Monday and claim accepted within 3 days, I sat with them whilst the claim was submitted. If they are saying three weeks they are fobbing you off

I attended my dealership on 20th June and no decisions as yet. An e mail sent yesterday has not yet received a reply.

I put two claims on yesterday and have heard back this morning from VW.

Cheers

You better bring your camera and some forms to cotf Alex :laugh2 :laugh2

Had a call form VW support "sorry do to the age of your vehicle VW would not pay for the repairs". Estimated cost of new roof and spoiler replacement min £3000 + VAT. Thank you VW

gooseyj said:
Had a call form VW support "sorry do to the age of your vehicle VW would not pay for the repairs". Estimated cost of new roof and spoiler replacement min £3000 + VAT. Thank you VW

Well is that it? My Cali is 2006 November, did you send me a copy of the letter you sent to "Watchdog"? if not could you send me a copy, i am thinking of writing to "Which" as well.

Please send me a copy of the letter?

John :headbang

johntowers46. it says I am not authorised to read private messages. My Cali is also Nov 2006 Regards gooseyj